Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black walnut
    replied
    Originally posted by duramen

Does anyone think that the post above encourages women (and others) to show an interest in woodworking and join this forum? I don't.

Here is the message that many will see: "Women are treated differently here. This is the Boys' Club."
    I believe you are being hypersensitive. Over the years I have received many complaints but frankly until you joined and started reporting posts never has anyone mentioned that we are not welcoming to women. I joined this forum within the first month of it going live as did Loring. I am sure he can also recall that we have had many women members over the years and they were not offended by our posts and humor. Posts such as the one above violate no rules and is not in my opinion in bad taste. If it offends you then you can either choose to ignore it or move along. WE will not censure our members posts if they do not violate our rules. We welcome all members. If folks choose to be offended so be it.

Normally I respond to "reported posts" offline but you seem to want to discuss it publicly. Perhaps you can articulate exactly how such humor is offensive. While you are doing so tell us more about yourself. Where are you from? (yeah I can look up your IP) What's your background? What table saw do you use? Fill out the profile, it helps others to know more about you. The fact of the matter is you did join our forum. You could do a search or several and see that we have had humor such as above frequently and yet you joined anyway. What does that say about you as you complain about it? Can you see that your choice of username could be offensive to some? Our standards do require subjective analysis from time to time of posts. Some posts have been found unworthy.

Reference the Forum description:

Around the coffee potThis forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Thanks for your participation in our forum.

Leave a comment:

• duramen
    replied
    Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Yeah Men and women approach shopping trips differently.

(Image of cartoon. See it in the post above.)
    Does anyone think that the post above encourages women (and others) to show an interest in woodworking and join this forum? I don't.

Here is the message that many will see: "Women are treated differently here. This is the Boys' Club."

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    Yes it’s a pair of them with an STM 1800 folded up underneath.

• furthermore
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not wild about the styling and I'm NOT a runner, but my runner friends swear by these and they describe the feeling like wearing anti-fatigue mats. https://www.hoka.com/en/us/

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Are these Festool MFTs in the photo?

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    If you don’t wander, explore a store you will not be aware of what treasures they have that you might need in the future! Sure it might be sewing stuff, but if you thought you needed a magnifying light…. Like right now… where would you go? HF,L,HD, TS? Probably won’t have it so you have to go home and browse the Internet and get your light next week, while JoAnns has them on the shelf.

And while you were in there did you notice the Cricket machines? No? You gotta go get a demonstration of these things, I can see endless possibilities for a workshop with one of these beauties!

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Yeah Men and women approach shopping trips differently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dd880692412f3e92aff1d30a16ec14c6.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	849145

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyDad
    commented on 's reply
    Your shop is a dream come true

• dbhost
    replied
    Did the grocery shopping, and my lovely bride dragged me to Jo Ann Fabrics, and Michaels Crafts. I have no idea why she hates me...

Just kidding. But she does know I hate meandering checke everything in the store trips out. I go for my thing and I leave. That is not her style. This is in no small part due to my back issues.

So today I was SERIOUSLY wishing I had my anti fatige mats as shoes...

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a big bag of replacement silica packets. They are cheap, and honestly I keep screwing them up when I try to dry them out...

The new regulator / filter is working out fine. Dialing it in straight to 90psi is a bit of a challenge but it can be done. Even though this looks and mounts the same as the CP, honestly the fine tuning / responsiveness of the regulator itself is very different. This one it responds but slowly...

Honestly I REALLY want my CP fixed. Still looking for the diaphragm.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    This morning, I managed to get the sheet goods parts for the base cabinets for the office cut to final size and labeled. I'll be using an applied face frame for these so I'll cut those once the boxes are assembled and in place.

That is four 762mm / 30" and two 381mm / 15" base cabinets.

Name:	IMG_2631.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	849121

I print out the labels from cutlist to help prevent or at least reduce screwing things up.

Name:	IMG_2632.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	849120

And now it is off to Sioux Falls to see the grand kids ... and their parents I guess.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    Tempting. Very tempting. But have you seen gas prices lately? Especially in California. Round trip would be over a grand...

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Road Trip? That 21829 is a great small saw. A couple of days behind the wheel would solve a lot of shop space problems!

• dbhost
    replied
    Fired up the Weber kettle and made Chicken Shawarma...

Wife is currently finishing up the Mediterranean salad, I have already heated up the Naan bread (She doesn't care for Pita), going to have a healthy dinner. Sort of an Indian / Turkish chicken Fajita.... Oh and for a touch of Greek, I am going to add Tzatziki for the dressing...

I did spend some time in Sketchup trying to figure out how to make a 10x20 shop work. Simple. Lose the Chicago Electric slider in favor of a Hitachi / Metabo front rail slider, Cut the excess off of the miter saw bench There is a BIG hollow cavity back there, and then lose the second set of rails / wide table on the BT3100, and just do a router table within the OE rails. That also means swapping the base for a box on a mobile base for storing my table saw goodies.

Put the air compressor and dust collector outside under a shed roof, Fence enclosure to keep rain, and dog "watering" away from them.

And finish up the lathe cabinet and 2 more peg board cabinets.

I would keep the automotive tools in the garage, but keep a set of wrenches / screwdrivers and the like, probably load on a blow molded cased set from Harbor Freight for the wood shop...

Is anyone travelling from Sacramento to Houston metro any time soon? There is a poster giving away a 21829, which would fit a downsized shop perfectly!
    Last edited by dbhost; 03-10-2022, 07:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    New filter / regulator arrived. When I said it looked in the pics like the Central Pnuematic with different colors, I was dead on. The parts, at least externally, are identical. Got it installed, tested it out. Adjustment is a bit slow, but it is also brand new. Got it dialed in to 90psi and letting it stabilize and sit to insure no leakage. Hoping to not hear my compressor any time soon... The paint color on the new one is white, the plastics are gray, other than that, it appears 100% identical to the Central Pnuematic... And was only $4.00 more than the CP on clearance. I know I should have gotten one of the CPs but I just didn't think I would need it...

My wife has decree I shall replace the computer armoire in the home office that SHE picked out, with a proper L desk that we have had sitting in a box for several yearsThis is going to be a problem. My Bass amp in the office / studio is sitting where the corner is going to go, the other corners have guitars hanging and the amp stack it tall enough it will cause a clearance problem. I may have to move it to between the closet doors... For anyone interested, Fender Rumble V3 500 combo + Rumble V3 210extension cab...

Leave a comment:

• furthermore
    replied
    I spent my weekend working on a new project. The 2nd BT was extremely crusty when I got it and it will need some rehab (one arbor shim AWOL, broken SMT slide, FULL of mouse ****) but I took a bottle of Simple Green and some Scotch-Brite to it and it cleaned up alright. Not fully finished, but I'm waiting on replacement shims before I get them both aligned and locked together.

I'd love to hear any frankensaw wisdoms that you all might have!

Leave a comment:

Working...