Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan
    replied
    Good thing the snowblower was attached to the tractor the other day. Had to use it twice in the last 24 hours due to the amount of snowfall.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    I have grandpa duty today in Sioux Falls. Daughter is coaching dance and son in law is coaching wrestling. I left home yesterday at 5:30 pm and it was 45 degrees. An hour into the drive it was 25 degrees snowing, the wind kicked up and speed went from a normal 70 to 30 or completely stopped when the road or front of the truck disappeared because of the blowing snow. The last hour of the drive was completely clear. A four hour drive became six and a half. It was 5 degrees when I finally got to SF.

Breakfast with the niece from Virginia and nephew from Alaska is on the schedule for tomorrow morning then hopefully an uneventful drive home.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    It was a beautiful 28 degrees, We've only had one small snow this year which has mostly melted, 3-5 inches are forecast for tomorrow so it may need some shoveling if it actually materializes.

• Stan
    replied
    Took care of some things around the property today. Shuffled vehicles and equipment around so things are sort of stored for the winter.
    Got the 60" wide snowblower attached to the tractor, ready for full-on winter now.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    I’ve had my shoulder to the proverbial grind stone trying to get finished with a batch of Tiny Tables for the gallery in Appalachicola Fla. Today I hope to finish up 4 pine tables before I start on a couple of ambrosia maple and cypress tables. The antique pine I am working with came from an old peanut warehouse….. and was to my surprise when I got it home full of broken off and rusted off nails. I’m having to be extremely picky and careful to get pieces without nails to run through the SawStop and planer.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Deep South of Minnesota? I bet it was warm and balmy there for your 5k. Did you have to wear running show shoes?

• twistsol
    replied
    Thanksgiving morning I ran a 5k before heading to my sister's house in the deep south of Minnesota. Just after I'd finished the 5k, my 8 year old neighbor came up to me and said, "Wow, Chris, I didn't know you could run. Aren't you like 68?" She and her older sisters are avid bakers and I'm often the taste tester or recipient of their efforts so I laughed it off. I guess when you're 8, everyone is just plain old.

For the record I'll be 58 in a few days.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Perhaps getting old is a bugger but it's a bugger that's denied to many.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    First visit to the nearby physical therapy shop to begin work on my arthritic left thumb and right knee. Now two visits a week and daily exercises as prescribed. Plus have to buy a hot wax machine to dip my hand for heat therapy. Getting old is a booger.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Spent a couple hours in the new shop this evening. A few cans of spray foam filling in the sheetmetal ribs on the top and bottom of the walls to close things up so when the closed cell spray guys start there is no escape route for their foam to run to the outside of the building and making a mess.
    This is also part of the plan to get things closed up enough so that when the electrical is installed the heater I am putting in can get the inside up to a temperature that will allow the closed cell spray foam to be done if the outside weather will get to the 40's for a day ore two.
    One step at a time...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    About to hit the sack been a busy day actually...

I spent about 2 hours working on shop clean up in mind you I hardly made any Dent at all but at least there's a bent. Most of my mechanics tools are back in the toolbox my players are back on the clam shell box door.

The top of my mechanics tool chest has become an out of control mess I need to work on that and I did some but right now all it looks like is the mess got spread around not really but that's the way it looks.

I mounted the Drill press table to the new drill press and found that the holes that I have originally are spaced too far apart for the new cast iron table I'm going to have to rework the anchoring system. I have it working right now by rotating the cast iron table 45゚ but I'm not really pleased with having to do that.

After waiting for several years for the price point to hit where I wanted to actually pay the Hitachi now metabo HPT12 inch double bevel compound sliding miter saw is finally at a price that I am willing to absorb. CPO had them for $329 plus shipping Amazon had them for 349 on prime so it was actually less expensive when you figure shipping in to get the brand new one through Amazon then to get the refurbished 1 from CPO.

I've mentioned and lamented this many times in the past but my 2 car garage is stupidly small and the only cars it could possibly fit are 1980s Toyota Corolla's. Read so my choice is rip up the shop and put it into a 10 by 20 shed in the backyard which is not really enough room I mean it is but it's not. Or I put a 10 by 12 shed in the backyard And use it to store all the knot shop stuff like lawn and garden and camping gear And then fully dedicate the entire garage space to a workshop. At that point I will probably take off all of the lumber from the lumber rack and finish Insulating that last remaining wall. I will likely close off the ports for the portable air conditioner and just drop in a ductless Mini split air conditioner with heat. The hvac circuit that is in the shop has A110 and A220 leg on it should be able to just install it plug it in connect the roses end depending on the system probably vacuum pump it down and then add the freon. Anyway I didn't get that done today but I was kind of laying things out getting ideas for where I want stuff.

I mentioned earlier I believe that I replaced the faulted smart switches. Now I know why Broan Nutone Smart switches are so unpopular these things were really unreliable. I replace them with the massively bland but massively reliable GE jasco switches.

Z wave pairing of these switches went smooth as butter now the only issue I've got is I have to go in and edit my automations to reflect the new switches.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    commented on 's reply
    Not Houston here, NW Montana. Last week's storm put about 13-14" of heavy wet stuff on the ground.

• dbhost
    replied
    I made headway that is relevant to the shop. The smart switch that controlled my shop lights had failed and it was literally flickering on and off like a rave was going on in my shop. So I ripped out the Broan Nutone switch and installed a GE jasco switch which are known to be much higher quality I didn't know that when I installed the 1st ones.

Simply put the switches that controlled the formerly florescent lights that have been converted to LED for the garage and the kitchen basically those were the ones where I didn't need a dimmer so I went with these trusting the brand name at 1st that was apparently a mistake. The new GE switches were much easier to wire in and fit better in the Box. Honestly they just look and feel better made so I think I got a winner here.

Now that I can see what I'm doing I might actually bother getting out to the shop and cleaning up the disaster that it has become. However 1st I have to get the pile of truck and camper parts out of the living room so there's one thing about being a widower I don't have to worry about the wife complaining about a set of offered tires in the living room but the truck is almost back in my hands and I will be rolling those tires out as well as the 12 V fridge and all that stuff and get them installed in the camper.

Due to some unforeseen delays including supply chain issues I'm about 3 weeks behind in my schedule for this build I actually should be at the Texas Renaissance festival this weekend but obviously that didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    We had just barely enough snow to be a nuisance so I changed perspective and today I’m sitting on Miami Beach. The snowblower is readied for winter even if I just decide to stay here

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Snowplow in Houston? Right!
Working...
X