What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Duluth Trading? The same store that advertises fire hose jeans and no stink underwear, and company that decided to close all of its stores to slow the spread of Covid? ( I wonder how that worked out for them, must have worked well because weve only had a few cases here in months! )

• nicer20
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to know you are safe. Good that you listened to your inner voice at the last minute.

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Today I messed around with the wire bending jigs. I got one from Duluth trading the other day for $6.95 and made a little larger one using some roll pins I got (see thread on Comparison shopping) from HF today.

Jig
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P3060874.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	848919

My larger 3/8" jig
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P3060875.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.1 KB ID:	848918

Results - I needed some S-hooks and I got better as I went, left to right; the last ones were pretty consistent.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P3060872.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.4 KB ID:	848917

All that was left of the wire hanger when I got through
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P3060876.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	848916

Public Service Announcement: Wear your safety eye protection. I went out to the shop without my safety prescription glasses. I can actually see close up without them, but at the last minute I decided to put on a pair of plastic safety glasses. Well, when I was using the Dremel with a 15,000 RPM small abrasive cut-off disc to cut wire, the disk split in two halves and one flew up and hit my safety glasses square in the middle of the right lens before I could even blink. Scary to imagine what could have happened.

Be safe, guys! Don't forget that safety equipment.

Eye protection
    Hearing Protection
    Lung protection - mask, air filter, dust collection as needed.
    Finger and limb protection - guards and common sense.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-07-2022, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Good point. I know he did not have time or a lift for taking the wheels off. I don't know why that didn't register with me.

• dbhost
    replied
    Video engineering for church services this morning. Took the wife out to Olive Garden for the soup and salad thing, Went and did some spot shopping for groceries that were missed and edned up spending more than I had figured, but still not too bad. Apparently Mascara is now considered groceries. Who knew?

Did some reading of the old Articles and found BIll in Buena Parks review of the Sunhill SM-150B jointer where he claimed back in 2008 that Sunhill stated that the Craftsman 21788 knives were a direct fit. Aside from a MUCH better fence, the Craftsman more or less looks to be the same machine so that makes sense... Updated the Sunhill Jointer Knife thread...

Had to get cat food. Lots of cat food. Wife came home with Cat grass which the cat loves, but she always barfs right up. Had a lovely discussion RE: same said cat barf and my toes. You don't wanna know. I don't think the cat listened one bit....

Grilled a New York strip and sauteed asparagus for dinner. . Which oddly enough are going to end up as lunch in a salad tomorrow.

I am on a weight loss plan with the doc, that has me on this herbal stuff that more or less kills my appetitie. Most of the time. It's been working, but it is funny, I go to make a reasonable dinner, take one or two bites and I am done... So cold steak and greens salad for lunch. Could be worse...

Oddly enough, I am feeling pretty good about the jointer knife thing. Yes I admit it 1000% I would like a spiral cutterhead jointer with a wider jointer bed, but I don't "need it". And with the knives being able to be sourced up and the Sunhill back on its feet as it were, hopefully many more years of reliable service will be had with this thing.

Now if I could source up a dead Crafttsman 21788 to get the fence off of, I would be tickled silly...

My dessicant dryer / filter / regulator assembly is leaking at the O rings between segments. For this, and other sealing reasons I went ahead and snagged a box of various size O rings off of Amazon. Hoping to get this sealed up well.

Got the car almost ready for road trippping. I think I need new tires up front. I got a leaker that is wearing the outside edges from underinflation. My fault... Once I get that squared away, pack the personals, pack the cooler, and go. I might spend some time filling my 1lb Flame King cylinders instead of taking the 20lb BBQ tank. Safter, consumes less space, no need for the distribution tree...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    He was. I used to work at a state inspection shop when I was in my first career. The wheels do not come off. Are not allowed to be taken off. There is no way to accurately measure linings on disc brakes without dismantling them and actually removing the pads. This guy was blowing smoke... If you want to avoid that, use an ispection station that ONLY does inspections, not repairs. LOTS of shops use inspections as a way to drive sales.

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Had the car inspected today as I have to do the registration by the end of the month.
    Now the guy called me aside and said I needed new rear brakes, very dangerous. He said I had 3 mm left (when new they are 12 mm) and that was the state inspection minimum. He quoted me a price which was high and I said I would get another estimate and then he suddenly told me that he would pass it anyway because I looked like I would know not to drive it down to the last mm and it should last many months (probably 2 years since I am retired and pandemic and have 2 cars I drive this one like 2500 miles in the last year). So I said OK and he passed it.
    Meanwhile I checked and I had the rear brake job done less than 10,000 miles ago. And the the first original set of brakes lasted 35,000 miles.
    So I think he was trying to pull a fast one on me. Anyway, inspected.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-06-2022, 04:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    I was fishing a 35 year old Shimano spinning reel with 20 lb braid but meant for 12 lb line - he gave me quite a ride, he went all the way around the boat 1-1/2 times and then tried to cross back under the boat for a while.. Its a **** good thing my friend just installed a GPS trolling motor to hold position or he would have wrapped the line around the anchor line. We were both pretty tired at the end.

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    That’s a whopper that will stretch you line an take all of your tackle away from you!
    I hooked one while fishing in a marsh behind Cumberland Island with a Daiwa spincaster fitted with 12 lb spiderwire. I was using this 12lb rig for spec trout, the dang red nearly pulled the guts out of my favorite reel before he spooled the entire 100 yards. The reel never worked worth a dang after that!

• Jim Frye
    replied
    It was 71 degrees here today, so I washed the cars in the driveway. I discovered a new use for the 190 mph 40 volt leaf blower I received for my birthday. I used it to dry the cars after they had been rinsed. Hey, if the car wash can do it, why not at home? Later on, we watched our granddaughter play in a high school aged national volleyball tournament (three matches) in Kentucky on TV. Tomorrow, we'll get to watch her some more in the finals.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 03-05-2022, 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Went to Galveston to check on the status of the state park rebuild. Web site says it will be open in April. Eyeballs say no way is that gonna happen.

Went to Seawall and walked the beach with my wife. Spent a couple of hours strolling the beach and Murdochs just enjoying before I had a lumbar issue. Dang... Been a long while since I had that happen... But aside from slipping disks it was a good day.

I did get my new jointer knives in today and they look like a good fit for the Sunhill jointer, so if I can get them to adjust for proper depth, I think I am set for knives and will be able to keep this old jointer going, meaning no need to upgrade!

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    tough day at the office (NOT).

Click image for larger version

Name:	redfish catch 3-4-2022.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	848873

Red Drum from Galveston Bay System. Released to swim another day. He was longer than the ruler we had to measure, so at least 37 inches.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Today and yesterday after work, I gathered all the bits, boxes, and stray hardware around the house and I finally finished sorting, labeling and organizing my hardware storage cabinet. I should be able to find stuff now without opening every drawer two or three times. More importantly, now I won't buy it again because I can't find it. I had three partial boxes of screws for anchoring concrete board.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2622.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	848868

Every bin in the drawers where the content isn't obvious with a glance is labeled, e.g screw size and length.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2621.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	848869

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2620.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	848870

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    That is typically the case, however there are some spots I know of where I can boondock. I have a battery pack to run my travel CPAP, no need for AC so I am good.

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder if you camping area is any different that ours. My kids say that every campground in their usual area is booked up 6 months + and the beach area is 1 yr.
Working...