What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furthermore
    replied
    I've spent the last week sick, so not much happening in the shop, but last weekend I tuned up both of my BTs. Turns out my original BT had a ton of sawdust on top of the arbor panel and it wouldn't let me adjust the blade to a perfect 90! Fixed that, as well as calibrating and adjusting the 45 degree stops on both saws. Replaced the shims on BT#2 and got them lined up enough that I can smoothly slide the rip fence across both sets of rails. What a PITA it is replacing the shims! Hopefully I'll never need to do that particular bit of maintenance ever again!

Leave a comment:

• furthermore
    commented on 's reply
    How do you like Rocky? I've been a Debian boy for a long time but I'm not married to it

• dbhost
    replied
    My contract is up so I am looking for a new job. My contract has had me away from hard core Linux administration in favor of deep in the weeds Azure dev ops. I decided i needed to stand up a RHEL 8, okay Rocky Linux 8 cluster for Kubermetes to insure I still had it in my fingers and head...

Realized what worked in CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 and earlier was no longer hardware compatible due to deprecated kernel modules A.K.A. drivers in the Windows world. Specifically for the onboard storage controller for one of my old systems. Well I had enough of a pile of parts laying around in closets I whipped together a new, very basic, but compatible and sufficient to run what I need system. Then realized this new system requires UEFI which required a couple of steps I am not super up to speed on... Yay me!

ANyway, installing Rocky Linux on it now, as soon as it is done, will patch it up to date, and the move the box over to my rack and slide it in place...

Been a while since I screwed together computer hardware from scratch, and even longer since I cannibalized old systems to make the new work. I hope I will be happy with the results...

I stil need to get an eSATA controller that will play nice with RHEL 8 / Rocky Linux. Might just dump the old eSATA controller and buy a USB RAID box...

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, when I was buying 22 sheets of cabinet grade plywood, I kind of skimmed over the terms and conditions clause that talked about "your immortal soul"

• GrumpyDad
    commented on 's reply
    Strange to say but the festool device is now worth a smaller amount that the stored lumber, our topsy turvy world

• twistsol
    replied
    For some reason I can't explain, the top of my sheet goods rack sagged by nearly an inch over the 8' 6" span. Today I tore it apart and replaced it with steel racking from Menards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	849347

Since it is also set up with my Schmitt32 line boring jig, the top really does need to be flat so out with the old and in with the new. The steel rails on the new sheet goods rack are rated to 2000 pounds per shelf. The shelves are 96. 7/8"" wide so it takes some finesse to get a full sheet onto a shelf, and Melamine and MDF are a no go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	849348

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    A couple of weeks ago I used my new truck with a trailer for the first time after dark and discovered that while the signal and brake lights worked during the day, there were no running lights or tail lights when the truck's lights were on. I drove home with the hazard lights active. The new truck was not trailer ready and the Nissan dealer wouldn't get the necessary parts, so I had the hitch and wiring installed by a third party. It turns out there is a connecter in the back next to the tail light to plug in the trailer lighting. The part they missed was a set of relays that needed to be installed in the cab to keep everything working when the lights are on. They also just zip tied the four pin connector to the hitch frame so I had to crawl under the truck to plug in the trailer lights.

I received the cable harness and relays and got them installed installed late last week and today finished up by installing a proper steel mounted four pin receptacle next to the hitch receiver where it should be. The receptacle also has a spring loaded weather cover. All was very easy except for the part about replacing the kick panel inside the truck. I spent three quarters of the time just trying to align and snap the plastic part into place. Lighting is now working as it should regardless of whether the truck's lights are on or off.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Writing Rocky Linux 8.5 iso image to a flash drive using Rufus. Going REALLY slow but meh... oh well...

I have a trio of old computers I am going to set up. A and B are physically identical 8 core AMD workstations, C is an old i5 intel based system. A and B are to be set up for a Kubermetes cluster, C is attached to a eSATA RAID enclosure. I am crash coursing on Kubermetes as I haven't done anything with it in the last 3 years and I have projects coming up that are using it...

And while that stuff is loading I am working on shop cleanup.

I have a set of LEGALLY refillable 1lb propane cylinders from Flame King. Tough little cookies to get, but I am trying to avoid lugging 20lb cylinders around. Except in the winter when heat is being used, I NEVER go through more than 3lbs of propane per week, even including the hot water shower for extended camping trips... So I am planning on shooting a how to use this thing video shortly. WIth the 1lb refillables, I can leave the 20lb cylinder, distribution tree, hoses etc... at home, AND not create hazardous waste that is nearly impossible to recycle... I don't bring it up here, but if you see my camping forum posts you will see how in depth I go on this issue. I have worked with DOT to determine safe ways to deal with propane as part of my prior job... (As part of a functional lead duties, I was also on the safety team and had to do off the job safety presentations frequently... ).

I still need to get the car to Wal Mart and get the front tires changed out, and then, assuming no work issues getting in the way, we are ready to go!

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Finished 4 Tiny Tables for the art gallery in Apalachicola. 3 pine tables are from auction wood I recently purchased, reclaimed from an old peanut warehouse and 1 Black Gum Tupelo from my stock. Many hours of hard work.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Got up, made coffee, shaved, Put on some comfy shorts and a nice shirt, logged in, tested my web cam, the USB bus does NOT like my webcam, looked for my smart phone holder for the tripod. Did 3, count them 3 video conferences. My USB setup is funny, so no shock the web cam isn't happy.

I have been in video conferences, and typing my fingers off since then.

I finally hit a slow spot and think the rush for the day is done. Going to spend some me time in the shop today. Doing some more cleanup and getting ready to knock out some quickie projects I can possibly sell on Etsy. I am thinking cedar roll up shower mats for campground / gym shower users... Coasters, and Trivets leap to mind as well.

I ordered a wood burning makers mark, a small one, 1x1, I wanted this one linked to my Youtube channel, so it says "HANDCRAFTED BY DAVES WORKSHOP". Unfortunately delivery date is April 1 - 18. Yay for decisiveness...

https://amzn.to/3MRFVZz

The design is the default one shown in the image.just with my text. I saw it, I liked it, my Amish guy wouldn't shrink all that well.... so I went with it.

The idea is, for big pieces, the Amish Heritage Workshop stamp will be used, but for small items that I am looking to sell as basically channel swag for my youtube stuff, I will use the Daves Workshop burner.

If the burner does work out well, I might just do the Amish Heritage one as a 2x2 and just leave blank space so it would really be 1x2. I wish they would give me a discount on the difference, but that isn't going to happen...

I'd be happier if there was a way to expedite this, but for $30.00 what do I expect?

Click image for larger version  Name:	81ATfigs6VL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	849266

NOW FOR THE ISSUE:

The reason I FINALLY opted for a burner instead of just a different stamp, or getting a smaller stamp, is that applying urethane or just about any oil based finish almsot instantly smudges the stamp ink, no matter how dry.

For those succesfully using ink stamps for makers mark. How are you applying protective finishes OVER the stamp?

UPDATE: I just got in from the shop. I got a bag of color change dessicant packets. Tiny funy things but LOTS of them on the cheap. Reloaded teh dessicant container that had gone pink. I need to recharge the OE stuff but it is not easy to do.

I had defrosted the extra Christmas turkey that was in the freezer and am smoking it right now...
    Last edited by dbhost; 03-16-2022, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Work stuff for contact change over. LOTS of hussling for new clients sort of thing. Not going to dive into details.

My diaphragm for the regulator came in, dropped right into place as it should. Changed over the regulator / filters back to the Central Pnuematic. Goes up to pressure properly, and STOPS, the one from Amazon doesn't. Going to return the Amazon special. The Amazon special always has a high pitched whine, it is very slight, but it is there. AND it is VERY difficult to set to a pressure it will hold. Set it to 90psi and come back in an hour and it may be 80psi, it may be 100 which is where the compressor is regulated to...

Have a string of meetings set up for tomorrow requiring video, Need to pull the pedalboard off of my amp stack as it will be VERY visible....

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    commented on 's reply
    I know you're right about that capncarl.

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    You just thought purchasing a BT was a slippery slope! Woodworking is like rapids, metalworking is like Niagara Falls!

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve been buying shoes from orthofeet.com for the past 5 years or so. It’s made a huge difference in my comfort, feet, knees, back and hip. My wife also swears by the hoka brand shoes.

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    Yes and no. The SA: is the sub assembly name which I used “15” Face Frame Base” as the cabinet name for my non metric wife. All part measurements are in mm
Working...