• Show
Clear All
  • AlanJ
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Rochester, MN
    • BT3100

No luck up north...

I found a really helpful guy at my local Sears. He checked every store in MN and the close ones in Wisconsin.. none in stock anywhere
    Alan

Comment

• Chris_B
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by ryan.s
      Chris - Which sears store did you say had 2 more? Mountain View in so cal or nor cal? Do you have the number to the store? Thanks.
      Northern CA: (650) 917-6009, direct to tool department.

I went back tonight to get a manual (missing from my box) from one of the other ones in stock. While the computer says they have 2 more, the clerk was unable to find one "upstairs." However, this was near closing and it is possible that the people that normally work in the warehouse would know where to find them.

One happy outcome was that since I could not get a manual they gave me a $15 refund to cover the cost of getting one shipped from the parts department. I was able to assemble it tonight with a little trial and error, so I don't need the manual after all. Nice jointer for $89 + tax.

Chris

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Chris_B
        Northern CA: (650) 917-6009, direct to tool department.

I went back tonight to get a manual (missing from my box) from one of the other ones in stock. While the computer says they have 2 more, the clerk was unable to find one "upstairs." However, this was near closing and it is possible that the people that normally work in the warehouse would know where to find them.

One happy outcome was that since I could not get a manual they gave me a $15 refund to cover the cost of getting one shipped from the parts department. I was able to assemble it tonight with a little trial and error, so I don't need the manual after all. Nice jointer for $89 + tax.

Chris
        Thanks Chris - that was what I was afraid of. I wish a store in southern california had one. There was a post earlier that someone picked one up in Thousand Oaks (southern cali) but I've had no such luck.

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

Hi Davey, yes, i got the one from the Eastland Mall. I'm glad you were able to get the one in Concord. If you're looking for a mobile base, you could try calling the Eastland store - they didn't say anything about base being the last one, so they may still have more in the warehouse.

For those concerned about transporting a jointer without a truck, it should be able to fit fine in most sedans if the top is separated from the stand. I don't know if the boxed jointers come in pieces (mine was the floor model), but if you need to take one apart it is pretty easy to do. You'll need a philips head screw driver to take off the dust chute and one side panel (bring a couple - the screws were on very tight and you risk stripping them out without the right size) and a socket wrench with an extension (i think it was metric sized). Once you have the side panel and dust chute off, disconnect the belt and then take out the three bolts from underneath.
          Eric

Comment

• prd
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • SF Bay Area, California

I checked the Mt. View CA store today, and had 2 separate clerks scour the warehouse. They both report that the computer (showing 2 in stock) is wrong, and that there are none in their warehouse. :-(
            --PRD

Comment

• Davey
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2006
              • Matthews, NC
              • BT3100

Originally posted by thrytis
              Hi Davey, yes, i got the one from the Eastland Mall. I'm glad you were able to get the one in Concord. If you're looking for a mobile base, you could try calling the Eastland store - they didn't say anything about base being the last one, so they may still have more in the warehouse.

For those concerned about transporting a jointer without a truck, it should be able to fit fine in most sedans if the top is separated from the stand. I don't know if the boxed jointers come in pieces (mine was the floor model), but if you need to take one apart it is pretty easy to do. You'll need a philips head screw driver to take off the dust chute and one side panel (bring a couple - the screws were on very tight and you risk stripping them out without the right size) and a socket wrench with an extension (i think it was metric sized). Once you have the side panel and dust chute off, disconnect the belt and then take out the three bolts from underneath.

The one I picked up in Concord was new in the box. The jointer top and fence come packaged with a copious amount of grease and a piece of protective wrap. If anyone is planning on picking one up in a sedan and needs to take the top out of the box for transport, make sure you bring lots of cleaning supplies and maybe a tarp to protect your car interior. In addition, bring a friend. The top weighs in at about 160 pounds and it's covered in grease. Good luck if you can find one.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by PALefty
                Yeah, I remember your saga. I was wishing Bethlehem had two... and I would have met you there. That was still the best deal I have seen since joining this site. Then I got to thinking... how would I get it home? So what did you do with your Jet..
                Might want to check Bethleham for 22124 as I am not sure that the ones shipped to me were from that store. How to get it home? Rent a U-Haul or U-Haul trailer. That's what I did. Sold the Jet on ebay for a very nice present.

Comment

• NJFrank
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • NJ, USA.

Originally posted by Davey
                  The one I picked up in Concord was new in the box. The jointer top and fence come packaged with a copious amount of grease and a piece of protective wrap. If anyone is planning on picking one up in a sedan and needs to take the top out of the box for transport, make sure you bring lots of cleaning supplies and maybe a tarp to protect your car interior. In addition, bring a friend. The top weighs in at about 160 pounds and it's covered in grease. Good luck if you can find one.

Yeah It's heavy, I just carried the top downstairs, and it likes to dig into your chest and arms. BTW whats the best way to get all that grease off?
                  Last edited by NJFrank; 04-23-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• newbie2wood
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2004
                    • NJ, USA.

WD40 or mineral spirit
                    ________
                    How to roll a blunt
                    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• tg3
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Seattle, WA.
                      • Grizzly G0444Z

Originally posted by NJFrank
                      BTW whats the best way to get all that grease off?
                      WD-40 works fine.
                      If you don't measure, you don't know.

Comment

• NJFrank
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2003
                        • NJ, USA.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Washington, NC USA
                          • JET

simple green works well too. my joiner has a nice fresh apple smell after cleaning it up. you should wax the unpainted surfaces soon after degreasing.
                          Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• psal2
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2005
                            • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

I followed the following in cleaning my table saw when I got it. I am sure it would work on the jointer too.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post2196554
                            Thanks,
                            Pete

Comment

• thrytis
                              • May 2004
                              • Concord, NC, USA.
                              • Delta Unisaw

PDF manual available

If you didn't get a manual with your jointer, just call the customer helpline number on the front of the jointer (1-800-897-7709) and ask them to email you a PDF version. It took me less than a minute on the phone to get a copy sent.
                              Eric

Comment

• Chris_B
                                Established Member
                                • Apr 2006
                                • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by thrytis
                                If you didn't get a manual with your jointer, just call the customer helpline number on the front of the jointer (1-800-897-7709) and ask them to email you a PDF version. It took me less than a minute on the phone to get a copy sent.
                                Eric -

Thanks!!

They emailed the .pdf *and* sent me a hard-copy via snail-mail.

Regular Sears customer service claimed that there was no electronic copy available and wanted $8 + shipping for a hard copy...

Chris

Comment

Working...