X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

Okay, the moment you've all been waiting for: a receipt.

After 4 days of discussion I was finally able to convince my only local store to have one in stock to let me have it for the clearance price. I also went ahead and got the 2 year in home service agreement for another $30. Also, to those still looking. There is definitely 1 in stock at the Rocky Mount, NC store. In addition, there may be 2 in stock in Charlottesville, VA store (according to the computer). Both those locations report the price to be $105. Good luck to all those still looking.

I know where I will be tonight. Can't wait to get this puppy working!!!!!! Thanks to original poster!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwaterdawg; 04-20-2006, 07:45 PM.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Jim0424
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2003
      • Dallas, Texas, USA.
      • Two BT3Ks.

a report from texas

This was just too good to let go without serious research. I started by calling the Dallas stores. No luck. I called Shreveport/Bossier City (La.). No dice. I tried Marshall and Tyler (Tx.). Finally, I got the bright idea to try Fort Worth. Bingo. I found one at the Ridgmar Mall Sears. Drove over today (Thursday). It is definitely a pickup truck item. 100+ kg. In retrospect, I'm not sure I got the part number correct when I called around. It's 921706. Some in this thread are referencing 21706. Don't leave the 9 off. Some of the folks that work in the Tools Departments don't sound like they're really motivated to help you in your quest. The $104 price is in the computer. Ask. If they don't know, they're not looking up the correct item. Good luck! js.
      My ex-: "No one will ever notice that."
      I will.

Comment

• PALefty
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006

Still no go here. They won't budge from the computer which has it listed at 197. I am supposed to come try again tomorrow with another manager... the one tonight is not able to authorize anything like that (apparently she is new). They aren't lying (I saw the screens too)... but it is very odd that there is such a difference nationwide. They were unwilling to call any of the numbers in my list saying they are not in the same district yadayadayada. I asked if there is a corporate number they could call.. and she said no. It also didn't make any difference that it is a display model only.

Thanks for the receipt. If I could get some from NJ/PA as well... I think it will help.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by PALefty
          Still no go here. They won't budge from the computer which has it listed at 197. I am supposed to come try again tomorrow with another manager... the one tonight is not able to authorize anything like that (apparently she is new). They aren't lying (I saw the screens too)... but it is very odd that there is such a difference nationwide. They were unwilling to call any of the numbers in my list saying they are not in the same district yadayadayada. I asked if there is a corporate number they could call.. and she said no. It also didn't make any difference that it is a display model only.

Thanks for the receipt. If I could get some from NJ/PA as well... I think it will help.
          Interesting. None of the stores that I called had it for $197 in there system. They all had either the $300+ or the $104.

And oh yes there is a corporate number and I assure you they will take care of the matter for you. Get the 800 number for customer complaints. They will be very hesitant to give it to you and in fact they may go ahead and give you the jointer at that price. I used the 800 number to have a Sears Essentials store match the $400 price I got in the NJ store for the 22124 zip code saw. Through the 800 number I got 2 more 22124's at $400 each. I wished I still had the number. Get the 800 number, call it and they will call you back within hours saying its good to go. Then find one for me . . . .

Comment

• spf45
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            And oh yes there is a corporate number and I assure you they will take care of the matter for you. Get the 800 number for customer complaints. They will be very hesitant to give it to you and in fact they may go ahead and give you the jointer at that price.
            This is consistent with my somewhat dated knowledge of Sears. I had a friend who worked at Sears. He mentioned many times that a customer complaint escalated beyond the store was the last thing store management wanted. The store managers would do anything to avoid the situation. It just took a customer who was willing to push the right buttons.

Comment

• dtam
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • santa clara, CA
              • delta 36-675

Thanks to the original poster of this thread, I was able to find one in the San Bruno Sears for $104 yesterday. Probably the last one left in the Bay Area. I also picked up the mobile base, 22103, on clearance for $25. Now I need to figure out what to do with my Harbor Freight 6" jointer.

David
              Last edited by dtam; 04-21-2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• psal2
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Jim0424
                This was just too good to let go without serious research. I started by calling the Dallas stores. No luck. I called Shreveport/Bossier City (La.). No dice. I tried Marshall and Tyler (Tx.). Finally, I got the bright idea to try Fort Worth. Bingo. I found one at the Ridgmar Mall Sears. Drove over today (Thursday). It is definitely a pickup truck item. 100+ kg. In retrospect, I'm not sure I got the part number correct when I called around. It's 921706. Some in this thread are referencing 21706. Don't leave the 9 off. Some of the folks that work in the Tools Departments don't sound like they're really motivated to help you in your quest. The $104 price is in the computer. Ask. If they don't know, they're not looking up the correct item. Good luck! js.
                9 is the division number and 21706 is the stock number. On a previous post, it showed it with 21706991. 991 is usually reserved for reconditioned items but some managers use it to mark an item down. Also Sears price match doesn't include other Sears stores. And a receipt with 991 on the end of the stock number will USUALLY NEVER be matched.

A manager here checked form me and there is definitely nothing in my area. Good luck to all.
                Thanks,
                Pete

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Washington, NC USA
                  • JET

I got mine all put together last night. Initial impressions: that's one sweet machine for ~$100. That's not a gloat, its a review!

More seriously, it seems to be a well made machine. It was all well-packed and the non-painted iron surfaces covered in shipping grease (a good thing). The hardware was a pleasant surprise. Not only did they provide a few extra of each bolt, screw, washer, etc., the corresponding washers and bolts were pre-threaded on the correct bolts to make bookkeeping easier. The table is solid, flat, and HEAVY (>100 lb). I manhandled the thing together but it would have been easier with at least one helper, but I was reluctant to call anyone at 1am. It took me about 2.5 hours total to assemble it. Man she is quiet! I was suprised at how quiet and with no discernible vibration. The fence locks down solid and is easy to adjust. The cutter depth is adjusted with a handle rather than a wheel but is smooth and accurate.

The only criticisms I might offer is that it would have been nice to have a hinged rear access door rather than bolt on panel. The other thing is that it may be a little top heavy for the footprint it makes. I think I'll fix the latter with a mobile base and ballast box.
                  Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Mike G

Manual help for this jointer?

I just picked up one of these at the Thousand Oaks, California store last night. Got the $105 price, no problems. It was the last one they had, in the box, in the werehouse (sp?). Unfortunately, the manual is missing (the box was opened, although in excellent condition). Any chance that one of you guys who managed to get one of these babies might be able to scan and send me a pdf copy of the manual, so that I can check the parts...and then put this thing together? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and I'm sure I could get it together eventually, but would much rather follow step by step instructions if possible. If someone replies that they can, then I'll gladly post my email address.

Thanks in advance, from a forum newbie.

Comment

• psal2
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

If no one can scan it, the store should be able to order you one (at their expense too). If not, the new model is very similar except the on/off is elevated above the table. Maybe the store can copy that one for you.
                      Thanks,
                      Pete

Comment

• Divot
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Mobile Base Question ....

Originally posted by NJFrank
                        I was just able to get one in new Jersey using the part # that was posted called three stores and found the last one. Rang up at the $104 price, happily residing in my truck.

Thanks to all you folks that posted the info

Can anyone reccomend a moblie base for this? will the discontinued model 22103 work?
                        Has anyone successfully mated a mobile base to this beast?

Comment

• PALefty
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006

ok... so I went in last night to buy it.. they weren't willing to drop the price, wouldn't call any place to confirm, told me to come back and see Joe who works 4:30 to close today. I say fine.. I give them the list of places to call and leave around 7 with the Hold for Customer sign on the jointer. I call Joe today before I haul over there.. and good ol' Joe says Sorry... we sold it last night for the 197. Yeah right.. in the two hours since I left, they sold it. Did I mention that the sign still said 399. They couldn't sell the VOM which is now X status.. but on the day in question, somebody really took a fancy to it and picked it up within 2 hrs after I left the store. I bet good ol' Joe now has a nice jointer in his truck...

BTW- the Sears Cust service number is 1-800-549-4505 (the first number Joe gave me was 'not in service')

Comment

• spf45
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by PALefty
                            ok... so I went in last night to buy it.. they weren't willing to drop the price, wouldn't call any place to confirm, told me to come back and see Joe who works 4:30 to close today. I say fine.. I give them the list of places to call and leave around 7 with the Hold for Customer sign on the jointer. I call Joe today before I haul over there.. and good ol' Joe says Sorry... we sold it last night for the 197. Yeah right.. in the two hours since I left, they sold it. Did I mention that the sign still said 399. They couldn't sell the VOM which is now X status.. but on the day in question, somebody really took a fancy to it and picked it up within 2 hrs after I left the store. I bet good ol' Joe now has a nice jointer in his truck...

BTW- the Sears Cust service number is 1-800-549-4505 (the first number Joe gave me was 'not in service')
                            I learned a long time ago that I could not control people. It is possible that the store sold the tool to a higher bidder, which apparently they have the right to do (from a Sears policy perspective). It is possible that an employee bought it from under you, which isn't the right thing to do (but I think it has happened to me).

The way I try to work these situations is to try and get the store staff to like me and want to help me. (I learned this working in a restaurant.) Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Over time, I think I've done well. Did you call the Sears 1-880 number? If so, please provide an update; I'd love to know if they make this situation right for you.

Comment

• PALefty
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by spf45
                              I learned a long time ago that I could not control people. It is possible that the store sold the tool to a higher bidder, which apparently they have the right to do (from a Sears policy perspective). It is possible that an employee bought it from under you, which isn't the right thing to do (but I think it has happened to me).

The way I try to work these situations is to try and get the store staff to like me and want to help me. (I learned this working in a restaurant.) Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Over time, I think I've done well. Did you call the Sears 1-880 number? If so, please provide an update; I'd love to know if they make this situation right for you.
                              higher bidder... yes, it is possible. Highly unlikely... maybe not Powerball odds.. but the odds are certainly against it.

another employee... yes, that is my guess. Not very nice of them.. and kinda like Seinfeld in the 'Hold a Reservation' scene. Probably not even Joe... probably the day manager (whoever it was) that called a few of the places on my list and saw what a good deal it was.

same here... it always gets you farther the nicer you are. I was nice to the girl last night.. and I was even pleasant with Joe when I asked for the Cust Service number.

So far the Cust Service has been very nice and accommodating. I spent a while with one guy.. who called joe and said he smelled a rat. He transferred me to sears.com to try and have them price match. Spent some time with her... she called a number of the stores on the list and verified the price but said she couldn't match it (it is 399 online) and it is a store only sale. I had to explain everything to her (she wasn't given the whole story).. and she transferred me back to CS. I got a new person and had to explain again (an hour later). She wrote up a ticket and called Joe. She also smelled a rat and felt it should be escallated. She said I should hear from the Dist Mgr within a few days.

All in all, I am satisfied with CS. I might not ever get anything out of it... but at least it may not happen to the next person...

Comment

• onedash
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2005
                                • Maryland
                                • Craftsman 22124

Checked in Virginia Beach. None available but the price comes up $380.
                                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...