edited...
      Phil In Ohio
      The basement woodworker

Comment

• jwaterdawg
        • Aug 2005
        • Washington, NC USA
        • JET

Let's not turn into woodnet. Leave him be. I've seen plenty of people here pick items at a discount and then sell them for profit here. I'm not defending it or recommending it but it is a free market. And even his price was reasonable considering what the joiner is worth......
        Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• RmeDad
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Scottsdale, AZ
          • BT3100-1

You are missing the point. The jointer is only worth $104.97. Selling one jointer for $175 gets him a jointer for $35. Now, that's a good price. I have a hard time believing that the additional $70 being charged would cover his cost for gas. Is he burning JP4?

It's just NOT RIGHT to profit from the people that are making this bargain information available. Plus, buying two units may have aced out one of our forum members.

Based on the fact that he has withdrawn his posting, I believe he has seen the error in his ways. I would just hate to see this become a regular practice by other members. I feel the proper approach would have been to say "Hey guys I scored two to keep them "in the family", one is available at actual cost+shipping+A SMALL HANDLING CHARGE FOR THE EFFORT." Or, if he is being entrepreneurial, simply sell it on EBAY and never mention it here.

Sorry, I'm rambling. It just torqued my jaws to see the posting! I would have loved to been able to pick one up, but none are available in the State of Arizona.
          Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• Crash2510
            • Feb 2006
            • North Central Ohio

i wish i had a jointer
            Phil In Ohio
            The basement woodworker

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

I take it from the edited posts above that the one in Hickory is gone?

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                • Aug 2005
                • Washington, NC USA
                • JET

Jocko,

I understand your complaint but I don't think I am missing the point. To say that the joiner is only worth $104.97 is to imply that $104.97 is not a bargain price. Moreover, it contradicts the great variability in retail closeout price that many of us have seen for this particular model. I do understand your complaints/concerns but on the other hand I really do not think that his post was too far out of line.

Best,
                Jay

PS: For any tarheels looking, I posted earlier last week that there was at least one new in the box model in stock at the Rocky Mount, NC store. The salesman there, Hugh I think his name was, verified that they had one in stock.

Also, per the same post, the Charlottesville, VA store reported (according to the computer) to have two in stock. I have no idea if any of this is still the case but just thought I would mention it. And both stores had it marked at $104.97. So if shipping is $65 it would still seem like a good deal even with shipping for nonlocal people.
                Last edited by jwaterdawg; 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• psal2
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                  ...How can that be? How can you get your inventory of a $400 250lb item off by 3? Idiots...
                  sounds like those idiots got themselves 3 jointers cheap...LOL
                  Thanks,
                  Pete

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

For some reason I did not get an email on the original post that has been deleted, but I personally see nothing wrong with buying multiples of an item and sell the others for a profit. However, I would sell the item in the free market, ie ebay, craigslist, livedeal, etc. Now if the jointer was the one that I was calling Hickory about tommorow and based upon that thread someone bought the jointer and offered to sell it to me at a profit that would not be real cool.
                    On the 22124 sale I had NJ holding a 22124 for me and when I found that Bethleham had it as well, I posted to BT3 advising I had the one in NJ held under my name and I would let anyone have it that wanted it. No one responded so I bought 3 of them and sold 2 for a profit.
                    Note : When I was in the NJ store buying the 22124 someone came in asking for the saw though it wasn;t on the floor. I assume it was a woodnet or sawmillcreek person who was lurking in BT3 bargins, cause I would have a hard time with a BT3'er buying something out from under another person as a result of shared info on this site.
                    Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 04-26-2006, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by psal2
                      sounds like those idiots got themselves 3 jointers cheap...LOL
                      Note to self : Foster relationships with Sears employees.

Comment

• GPA61
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                        • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

For the guys in SO Cal. They have 3 in stock at the Carson mall store.
                        They had 4, one is in my garage.
                        Claudio

Comment

• kramer katt
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • SO CAL, USA
                          • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

GPA,
                          What price were you able to get the joiner for?
                          kk
                          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Washington, NC USA
                            • JET

There seems to be two somewhat unrelated issues here:

1)At this point we really have no idea about the chain of events that lead to the purchase of two joiners by the poster. Did he intentionally try to scoop you based on information that you provided in your post? I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. In addition we have no idea of the possible extraordinary circumstances that might be relevant. All I am really saying I guess is that maybe we should let him chime in before assuming the worst.

2)And as to selling on ebay, it seems pretty standard form to offer items up here first at reduced rate. I personally have no problem with the way it was offerred for sale, although that is clearly a personal choice/preference each of us has to make.

Comment

• pbrew
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Sep 2004

Miami - Status

I looked for this one in Miami,FL area no luck so far. I did call sears online - they told me they have 26 units in a warehouse in Chicago and that they could sell me one at full retail price.

Comment

• fergusburger
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Dec 2005
                                • Stillwater, MN, USA.
                                • BT3

vaporware

This jointer is like vaporware. I've gone to a couple of Sears stores around the Twin Cities where the nice person at the register says that yes, they have two showing on the computer (hopes soar), and then when they check their stockroom, they have vanished. Today when it happened I asked if they would substitute the new model 21705 for the same price (AND I kept a straight face I'll have you know). Of course they didn't but at least they were kind and didn't laugh at me. I'll be traveling in Michigan soon and I just bet that when I pop in a Sears there they will have 10 of them on the showroom floor, and I'll have no way to get one home. Think it would fit in the overhead rack?

- Tom

Comment

Working...