• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

My shop teacher at a CC ran a cabinet shop full time out of his walk-out basement shop. His ceilings were definitely shorter than 8' but he made it work even having to use full sheets of plywood.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The last lawn of the neighborhood was installed on Friday at our house and I spent yesterday wet and muddy getting the sprinkler system adjusted. Now I can finally get the permit for the deck, and once that's done I can finally start on the new shop.

Last lawn of the neighborhood is installed
      Chr's

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I'm sneezing just seeing all that green stuff.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Dang what a view!
          What row crop is planted across the street?
          how does above ground pools hold up to the low temps
          what gras sod did you plant?

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

So, materials for the deck seem to be backordered/unavailable. Original delivery date was 7/22, then 8/17 and now 9/30. I started framing the basement for the shop, weight room, and bathroom last weekend. Finished that and wiring starts tonight.

capncarl The "crops" are part of Bailey Nursery but due to covid, they aren't allowing anyone but employees on the site. They look like lilacs but my binoculars aren't good enough for me to see the leaves. The pool gets drained for the winter and the liner is taken out. We had a neighbor when I was a kid that left their ingound pool filled over the winter and the subsequent ice cracked the sides. For the rest of my childhood if you wanted to use the pool in the summer, in the spring you had to help scrape out the old caulk and clean the cracks with a wire brush so Mr. Fritz could re-caulk the pool for another season.
            Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

I've made some progress but not a lot to see. All the outside walls are framed and insulation added where it wasn't in place already. Wiring is done except for the panel and the exhaust fans for the bathroom and the weight room. Plumbing is mostly done but the shower stall came in with the seat on the wrong side so it will be corrected and installed Monday. HVAC contractor is coming tomorrow to let me know if I can afford a mini split system for the shop and exercise room. Everything else for the new house has been over budget to the tune of $15K which was my entire shop budget.

Here are few pics

The exercise room that SWMBO insisted I put in the basement. Once I convinced her that 14x17 was plenty of space vs 20x17 that she wanted, I picked up an additional 100+ square feet for the shop so I'm at 773 square feet on the shop.

Weight room framed with equipment and TV

Here is the actual shop space. It looks like it went backwards from previous pics, but all the wiring and exterior wall framing is done so it is invisible progress.
              Shop in progress

This is what happens when the builder buries the shower drain under concrete. The plumber found it ... eventually.
              Holes in concrete floor looking for the shower drain

Finally the most exciting part for me since for the first time in my life, I won't need to go to another building to use the restroom. The bathroom plumbing
              Bathroom plumbing rough in
              Chr's

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                Established Member
                • Jul 2020
                • Midwest
                • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Great Googly Moogly - I see a pile of Festools which can only mean you robbed the bank of England.
                Harumpf!
                GrumpyDad

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by GrumpyDad
                  Great Googly Moogly - I see a pile of Festools which can only mean you robbed the bank of England.
                  It's my only vice. (Buying Festool, not robbing banks)
                  Chr's

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by twistsol

It's my only vice. (Buying Festool, not robbing banks)
                    Ah a fellow koolaid drinker

The shop is looking great. Man I wish I had that amount of space.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Carlos
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by twistsol

(Buying Festool, not robbing banks)
                      I find that I need to do one in order to do the other.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

How many circuits of what voltage are you running/planning to run in those walls?

Will the walls be finished? Most places attached garages need finished walls (sheetrocked at least). Insulated I suppose, too.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          How many circuits of what voltage are you running/planning to run in those walls?

Will the walls be finished? Most places attached garages need finished walls (sheetrocked at least). Insulated I suppose, too.
                          For the shop I'm running 3 110v 20 amp circuits for outlets. 1 circuit for lighting, 1 240v 20amp circuit for the dust collector and another 240v 30amp circuit for the mini split system. In order to get the permits for everything, the shop space has to meet all the normal requirements for a living space in the house. For the rest of the basement, 1 more dedicated 20 amp circuit for the bath outlet and 1 20 amp circuit to the fitness room.

The walls will be finished with sheetrock and everything trimmed the same as the rest of the house. I'm putting in exterior doors between the shop space and the other spaces to help keep dust out of the house and I am going to be able to put in a mini split system as well so heating and cooling will be separate from the house as well. I expect to be ready for the first round of inspections in a couple of weeks. (electrical rough in, framing, plumbing, and HVAC and here they all require separate permits)

Insulation in Minnesota is cheap compared to dumping heat to the outside. Insulation requirements for basements are not codified in the state and for our city are "at the discretion of the inspector" who will evaluate the basement and give me the requirements at the first inspection. I'm also adding rock wool insulation to the ceiling to keep sound out of the house as well as mounting the ceiling sheetrock on resilient channels. Insulation and vapor barriers is yet another inspection point.
                          Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

When I wired my shop I decided to installed 2 lighting circuits. Ever been a shop running a saw when the lights went off?

Comment

• twistsol
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by capncarl
                              When I wired my shop I decided to installed 2 lighting circuits. Ever been a shop running a saw when the lights went off?
                              3 of the lights in the center of the shop are on the original basement lighting circuit along with the lights for the fitness room and the utility room lights. The rest of the shop lights are on a new circuit. Never been in the dark with a table saw, but I have had that happen when running the planer and was fumbling in the dark for the off switch which is of course right next to the planer's in feed.

I've had two lighting circuits in my shop ever since, and always will. The last two were split evenly with half the lights on one and the other half on another. This will just ensure I'm not left fumbling in complete darkness.
                              Chr's

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                                GrumpyDad commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Great idea. Good to plan ahead for such a thing

• LCHIEN
                                LCHIEN commented
                                Editing a comment
                                fumbling in the darkness with a running table saw....
                            • GrumpyDad
                              Established Member
                              • Jul 2020
                              • Midwest
                              • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

You just brought back a memory. When I was a kid my older mad scientist brother whose domain was the basement discovered glow in the dark paint. He painted very strategically placed indicators all over the basement and garage for when the power went out. To this day they still glow at night. Been 50 or so years.
                              Harumpf!
                              GrumpyDad

Comment

Working...