This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twistsol
    replied
    It's been busy at work and lots of weekends so not much progress lately. I got the dust collection ducting installed today and yesterday. 8" main trunk with 4 6" drops. Still a way to go until it is usable. I'm hoping to get the cabinets under the slatwall which will be the miter station installed tomorrow.

The spiral pipe I bought at Menards is cone shaped. 7 15/16" at one end and nearly 8.5" at the other. I had to recrimp a number of my fittings to get them to go into the narrow end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	844308

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    The 3/4" melamine wasn't in stock at the Menards near me and was $10 a sheet less in Sioux Falls. Since I was there last weekend with the trailer anyway, I bought it there where I had a son in law to help load it and lugged it 200 miles home. Everything else on that rack is various leftovers from projects gone by.

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    The type I bought at Menards would void the warranty if you used any underlayment other than a 6 mil poly over concrete. I've installed other laminates, but not LVP over concrete and they all required an underlayment and/or a vapor barrier of some sort.

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol
    I decided to go with LVP
    I've only installed it over a plywood subfloor. Can you install it directly on concrete or did you have to add an underlayment?

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    I've seen some other threads on the price of sheet good. You've got a small fortune there!

I like the natural light you have in there, too.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Finally unpacking the shop, but a long way to go. Got the slat wall installed and sheet goods rack built this weekend. I lowered the top of the sheet goods rack a bit so it will double as a work surface.

Name:	IMG_2188.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	843340

Name:	IMG_2186.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	843341 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2185.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	843342

Next projects in the shop are going to be cabinets under the slat wall for a miter station with 3.5 meter fences on either side and then getting the dust collection piping installed.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    I'll be calling for the final inspection tomorrow morning .

Then I can get started on setting up all the actual shop stuff.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Well, a couple of months after the last update and everything going sideways for a bit, I'm finally back to working on the shop. Finished priming, correcting flaws in the drywall and painting in early December. Then my wife ordered a Tonal fitness system and said it was going to be installed the first week of February so the fitness room had to be ready so ...

Stopped work on the shop and started working on the fitness room and the closet, bath, and hall since everything in the basement was now in the shop space anyway. Then Menard's sent me an email that they were having their last 11% rebate of the year, so I ordered doors, flooring, bathroom fixtures and piled all that in the shop.

Here's the fitness room finished except for trim on the window. I need a woodshop to build that.

Name:	IMG_2128.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	842605

I used an exterior door from the shop to the fitness room to keep sawdust from migrating in there as much as possible.

Name:	IMG_2126.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	842603

Finally, here's the shop space with actual lighting, mini split heat and a/c and ready for flooring. I decided to go with LVP, the same that's in the fitness room. My wife thought I was nuts when I dumped sawdust all over the dining room floor to see how slippery it was going to be. I just need to fill the expansion gap with a flexible filler before I start the the flooring and I'm ready to go.

Name:	IMG_2125.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	842604

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Originally posted by capncarl
    Is that an optical illusion or has the floor sloped that much?
    It is an optical illusion due to my stellar photography skills. The floor is level +-1/8 inch.

I have this week off so there may be some more progress.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Is that an optical illusion or has the floor sloped that much?

Leave a comment:

• jabe
    replied
    Exciting!!! House looks great, well thought out plan for your shop. My home is near completion too, just waiting for driveway pour but had to cancel the last 2 scheduled days cause of rain. Next date I got for the concrete is Jan 7, 2021. Every time you cancel your pour you get put back to the bottom of the list so that's another 2 week delay. Good luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    After almost three weeks finally ready for primer and paint.

Name:	IMG_2094.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	841497

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    I think I recall reading this fastener schedule somewhere in IRC earthquake resistance building code.
    At least you will know that your Sheetrock installation is pulled tightly against the studs and you shouldn’t be bothered with screws bulging out of the Sheetrock like “contractor grade” installations would.
    Last edited by capncarl; 11-10-2020, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Drywall was finished yesterday and the inspection passed today including the mildly insane requirement that screws be placed every 6". There has to be a story as to why the city requires that many screws. I finished hanging the drywall last week with screws at each edge and in the center of every stud and then spent the entire weekend filling in the field. Mudding and taping start tomorrow and no more inspections required until the final.

I also suffered a complete math failure and ended up with 19 extra 12' x 1/2" sheets. I realized when I was done that I calculated the walls for 8'sheets and ordered 12' sheets. Now I need to get the excess back to Menards.

New shop drywall complete and ready for taping.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    A little bit of progress on the shop yesterday. I got half the ceiling in the shop sheetrocked after a few issues.I tried to find a drywaller that was available and the only one that had time this year quoted $11,000 ... basically 10x the cost of the drywall.
    • To start the morning, had to build a ramp to get sheetrock cart into basement
    • Then the sheetrock lift I rented had a weld fail and collapsed and destroyed the first piece I was putting up so back to the rental store.
    • My drywall cutout tool didn't have a guidepoint bit it and I didn't notice. I cut to the edge and right through the first light box. Trip to Menards to get the right bits.
    • First sheet finally up at 1:30 pm.

Leave a comment:

Working...