Picked up my BT3100 today! shhh...don't tell the wife.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HammerToeNH
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol

If you find and broken links, send a pm to twistsol with a link to the page where the broken link is found. I've fixed a a few hundred or so over the years as I've found them, but I'm certain I've barely made a dent.
    Will do.. I will go back and find the ones I was looking for.

Thanks again...

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Originally posted by HammerToeNH
    The FAQ's are a good start but what I noticed was if you click on some of the supplied links the URL's point to non-existant landing page. IE I was trying to download a cad file for the maroon and maple stand. Also couldn't download the file which has the BT3K dimensions to consider when building a stand.
    If you find and broken links, send a pm to twistsol with a link to the page where the broken link is found. I've fixed a a few hundred or so over the years as I've found them, but I'm certain I've barely made a dent.

Leave a comment:

• HammerToeNH
    replied
    Originally posted by capncarl
    HammerToeMH, sorry for the distraction, sometimes we get a bit long winded here. Tell us about your new saw! There is some pretty good info on this site that informs you how to lubricate and maintain the blade raising and lowrimg mechanisms, sounds like you need that before you twist something off. There is also information on a must have.... the shark guard to replace the missing guard on your saw, before you are missing some digits. Then throw you a fresh sharp blade on your new purchase and make your wife something pretty for Christmas!
    capncarl
    It's all good! I remembered there is a tone of info from the Old BT3K forums. The FAQ's are a good start but what I noticed was if you click on some of the supplied links the URL's point to non-existant landing page. IE I was trying to download a cad file for the maroon and maple stand. Also couldn't download the file which has the BT3K dimensions to consider when building a stand.

I remember when the first shark guard was built. Amazing to see how much it has progressed. It is on my shortlist.

One thing I noticed after I picked up the saw was the guy gave me a BT3000 fence and not the Bt3100. It's not a big deal as it still functions but it was missing the bevel scales...I have those on order and should be here shortly. I posted a fence question in the forum as well. I am going to disassemble the fence and go through it. The cast fence body has some chips in the paint and I will probably just touch it up with some black undercoating. I was able to locate some BT3100 fence parts that I may purchase and put together a new fence and hold on to the one purchased for a backup. Only other thing that is on my shortlist is the Extended miter fence but again, I have located most of the parts to assemble one.

I've been looking at blades, normally I just purchase Diablo combination and fine finish. Dado blade, I was looking at the Freud S206 or Oshlun SDS-0630 . Both have good reviews but thinking I am leaning towards the Oshlum.

I really want to go through the saw and give it some TLC but the weather is turning fast here in NH. I was not able to finish bringing electrical to my shed this past summer, so for now I will need to break out my generator and add a small heater.
    Last edited by HammerToeNH; 12-04-2018, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    HammerToeMH, sorry for the distraction, sometimes we get a bit long winded here. Tell us about your new saw! There is some pretty good info on this site that informs you how to lubricate and maintain the blade raising and lowrimg mechanisms, sounds like you need that before you twist something off. There is also information on a must have.... the shark guard to replace the missing guard on your saw, before you are missing some digits. Then throw you a fresh sharp blade on your new purchase and make your wife something pretty for Christmas!
    capncarl

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    I don't have that problem! You see, I married the daughter of my local Sears hardware department manager, and if anything, I'm the one who has to curb her enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, she's not at all a woodworker, or even a crafts person. She just appreciates the fact that, like the old story of the cobbler's kids going barefoot, her father always had old, broken or repaired tools, and she recognizes that decent tools are essential. Her father has been gone for more than a decade now, but I'm sure his advisement was pretty influential with a few of my earlier birthday and Christmas presents.

We've been married 51 years now and I have to say that many of the tools that I have were suggestions or promoted by her. We'd go into the local HD or Sears store, and she'd always be pointing out some tool, with a "Do you have that?", "Is that something better than the one you have?", etc. etc. I'm the one who on occasion has to say, "NO, the one I have is okay", or "I don't have room or need at the moment, thank you!"

Blessings come in many forms and I know with this lady, I've been truly blessed.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 12-03-2018, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Agreed, cash only for Craigslist, but credit card only for online

Leave a comment:

• HammerToeNH
    replied
    With the notification system available for credit cards it’s hard to sneak anything that I purchase on my credit card by my wife.
    Cash is King! The Jefferson's have no notification system... lol

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    With the notification system available for credit cards it’s hard to sneak anything that I purchase on my credit card by my wife.

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    replied
    I just tell her I bought her something. Has worked with guns and tools!

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Ask for permission......that brings on a good story...... My wife asked if I would object to her and one of her teacher friends go to the beach to look at some property her friend was interested in. I hadn’t told her that I had just been online looking at a used Powermatic tablesaw that was at the same beach as she wanted to go to. Sounds fishy but it was 100% coincideneial, I told her to let me check my schedule for something and I would let her know in a few minutes. I contacted the seller, agreed on a price and pick up information. I told my wife I had no objection to them going and handed her my truck keys, directions to where the saw was located and an envelope full of cash, and told her to be careful with my truck and new saw. Things worked out perfectly, friend did not find property they liked, seller loaded the saw in my truck with a forklift but my wife found some property she liked close to the beach. Not so good for the property though, we didn’t buy it, but it washed away last month during the hurricane.

My wife knows that I use my tools and equipment, and am always looking to upgrade them, so she has little to say when I tell her I just bought or ordered a new tool. I usually give my old tools to my boys and she knows it is helping them get started. When I installed the Clearview cyclone system she said she wondered when I was going to something about my dusty shop. Having a mate that is happy with your hobby is a good thing. Sometimes all it takes is building them something they are proud of and really want.
    ​​​​​​
    capncarl

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Good luck with this wife. I found that I not keeping secrets of my spending brought me less grief than when she discovered I made a large purchase without discussing it with her first. That goes both ways too, no $300 pairs of shoes, or fancy crystal for her without discussing it with me.

capncarl
    Batter to ask for forgiveness than permission?

Leave a comment:

• HammerToeNH
    replied
    Good luck with this wife. I found that I not keeping secrets of my spending brought me less grief than when she discovered I made a large purchase without discussing it with her first. That goes both ways too, no $300 pairs of shoes, or fancy crystal for her without discussing it with me.

I like the DeWALT DW735 planer. You can find cheaper but for the money the bundle with extre blades and their nifty stand seems a good buy.

Band saws have been discussed here quite a bit, and I think a good band saw is a great addition to any shop and might be the second large tool purchase I’d recommend.

capncarl
    My wife is great, she won't get upset. We've always kept separate finances...Just as long as I pay my portion of the household, there are no questions regarding each others spending.

I never used a bandsaw in the past but after watching video's, I can see the need. I am going to look at the DeWalt planner and cruise craigslist for band saw as well.

Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• Carlos
    replied
    My one un-discussed purchase was a plasm cutter. I was working on DC tubing for the shop, which she uses also, and said F&! this with the jigsaw. So frustrating. Just got in the truck and picked one up. She walks out to see how the tubing is going and talks for over ten minutes before wide eyes..."IS THAT A PLASMA CUTTER?" She was OK with it.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied

I like the DeWALT DW735 planer. You can find cheaper but for the money the bundle with extre blades and their nifty stand seems a good buy.

Band saws have been discussed here quite a bit, and I think a good band saw is a great addition to any shop and might be the second large tool purchase I’d recommend.

capncarl

Leave a comment:

• HammerToeNH
    replied
    Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Welcome back

Throat plate screws are 10-24 if I recall correctly. They come kind long from the factory but you only need about 1/2" max.
    Thanks for the info. I found the Ryobi part number and can't believe some places were charging $15 for a screw. Down to the local hardware store I go...

Leave a comment:

Working...