Picked up my BT3100 today! shhh...don't tell the wife.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HammerToeNH
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2018
    • Concord, New Hampshire
    • BT3100

Picked up my BT3100 today! shhh...don't tell the wife.

I had been eyeing a BT3100 on craigslist for the past month and pulled the trigger today. Saw is the original 3100 from ~2006 and in pretty good shape for its age. Apparently, the guy I purchased it used as a back up but never used it. Blade adjustments were a little stiff, probably just need to lube. Height and Bevel worked as expected. Motor sounded good, normal wear on fence and no slop on the SMT Only thing missing was the throat plate screw and blade guard. Picked it up for $160.

What I didn't tell the wife was I went on a shopping spree and picked up the wide table kit, dual miter slot tray, wrenches, dado throat plate , zero clearance throat plates and a few T-Nuts. Merry Christmas to me!

I've been out of woodworking for over several years, My first saw was a BT3100 when it was first released but I quickly replaced it with a Delta w/Beismyer. Well my EX had a fire sale with my shop and I just never had time or space to pick the hobby back up. Now I have the time and limited space, so the BT3100 will do well for me. I remember the old BT3K forum and I plan on building the Red & Maple Cart and also revisit some of the Kirby additions

A few other items that I need for the shop, suggestions welcomed, Planner, Jointer and Dust Collection. There used to be a guy on here that made t-nuts, it he still in business? I forget what size t-nuts the saw uses.

Thanks again,
    John
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Welcome back

Throat plate screws are 10-24 Flat Head machine screws if I recall correctly. They come kind long from the factory but you only need about 1/2" max.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-30-2018, 06:37 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by HammerToeNH
      ... There used to be a guy on here that made t-nuts, it he still in business? I forget what size t-nuts the saw uses.

Thanks again,
      John
      There is a link on the homepage in the supporters section to t-nuts.com that will get you a discount. and it is copied below as well
      • T-Nuts.com
      Chr's

Comment

• HammerToeNH
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2018
        • Concord, New Hampshire
        • BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol

There is a link on the homepage in the supporters section to t-nuts.com that will get you a discount. and it is copied below as well
        • T-Nuts.com
        Dah, stupid me... Now that is twisted... lol

Comment

• HammerToeNH
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2018
          • Concord, New Hampshire
          • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Welcome back

Throat plate screws are 10-24 if I recall correctly. They come kind long from the factory but you only need about 1/2" max.
          Thanks for the info. I found the Ryobi part number and can't believe some places were charging $15 for a screw. Down to the local hardware store I go...

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Good luck with this wife. I found that I not keeping secrets of my spending brought me less grief than when she discovered I made a large purchase without discussing it with her first. That goes both ways too, no $300 pairs of shoes, or fancy crystal for her without discussing it with me.

I like the DeWALT DW735 planer. You can find cheaper but for the money the bundle with extre blades and their nifty stand seems a good buy.

Band saws have been discussed here quite a bit, and I think a good band saw is a great addition to any shop and might be the second large tool purchase I’d recommend.

capncarl

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

My one un-discussed purchase was a plasm cutter. I was working on DC tubing for the shop, which she uses also, and said F&! this with the jigsaw. So frustrating. Just got in the truck and picked one up. She walks out to see how the tubing is going and talks for over ten minutes before wide eyes..."IS THAT A PLASMA CUTTER?" She was OK with it.

Comment

• HammerToeNH
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2018
                • Concord, New Hampshire
                • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                Good luck with this wife. I found that I not keeping secrets of my spending brought me less grief than when she discovered I made a large purchase without discussing it with her first. That goes both ways too, no $300 pairs of shoes, or fancy crystal for her without discussing it with me.

I like the DeWALT DW735 planer. You can find cheaper but for the money the bundle with extre blades and their nifty stand seems a good buy.

Band saws have been discussed here quite a bit, and I think a good band saw is a great addition to any shop and might be the second large tool purchase I’d recommend.

capncarl
                My wife is great, she won't get upset. We've always kept separate finances...Just as long as I pay my portion of the household, there are no questions regarding each others spending.

I never used a bandsaw in the past but after watching video's, I can see the need. I am going to look at the DeWalt planner and cruise craigslist for band saw as well.

Thanks...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

capncarl
                  Batter to ask for forgiveness than permission?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Ask for permission......that brings on a good story...... My wife asked if I would object to her and one of her teacher friends go to the beach to look at some property her friend was interested in. I hadn’t told her that I had just been online looking at a used Powermatic tablesaw that was at the same beach as she wanted to go to. Sounds fishy but it was 100% coincideneial, I told her to let me check my schedule for something and I would let her know in a few minutes. I contacted the seller, agreed on a price and pick up information. I told my wife I had no objection to them going and handed her my truck keys, directions to where the saw was located and an envelope full of cash, and told her to be careful with my truck and new saw. Things worked out perfectly, friend did not find property they liked, seller loaded the saw in my truck with a forklift but my wife found some property she liked close to the beach. Not so good for the property though, we didn’t buy it, but it washed away last month during the hurricane.

My wife knows that I use my tools and equipment, and am always looking to upgrade them, so she has little to say when I tell her I just bought or ordered a new tool. I usually give my old tools to my boys and she knows it is helping them get started. When I installed the Clearview cyclone system she said she wondered when I was going to something about my dusty shop. Having a mate that is happy with your hobby is a good thing. Sometimes all it takes is building them something they are proud of and really want.
                    ​​​​​​
                    capncarl

Comment

• Black walnut
                      Administrator
                      • Aug 2015
                      • BT3K

I just tell her I bought her something. Has worked with guns and tools!
                      just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

With the notification system available for credit cards it’s hard to sneak anything that I purchase on my credit card by my wife.

Comment

• HammerToeNH
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2018
                          • Concord, New Hampshire
                          • BT3100

With the notification system available for credit cards it’s hard to sneak anything that I purchase on my credit card by my wife.
                          Cash is King! The Jefferson's have no notification system... lol

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Agreed, cash only for Craigslist, but credit card only for online

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I don't have that problem! You see, I married the daughter of my local Sears hardware department manager, and if anything, I'm the one who has to curb her enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, she's not at all a woodworker, or even a crafts person. She just appreciates the fact that, like the old story of the cobbler's kids going barefoot, her father always had old, broken or repaired tools, and she recognizes that decent tools are essential. Her father has been gone for more than a decade now, but I'm sure his advisement was pretty influential with a few of my earlier birthday and Christmas presents.

We've been married 51 years now and I have to say that many of the tools that I have were suggestions or promoted by her. We'd go into the local HD or Sears store, and she'd always be pointing out some tool, with a "Do you have that?", "Is that something better than the one you have?", etc. etc. I'm the one who on occasion has to say, "NO, the one I have is okay", or "I don't have room or need at the moment, thank you!"

Blessings come in many forms and I know with this lady, I've been truly blessed.

CWS
                              Last edited by cwsmith; 12-03-2018, 08:05 PM.
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...