• Show
Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Personal “2x6 Challenge”

There is a lumber rack in the garage that has been there since my original “woodworking days”. Mostly forgotten. But I just discovered several unused 2x6’s… most likely bought in anticipation of a BT3Central 2x6 Challenge.

I’ve got several projects on the radar that I could utilize them for, so I figure I might post the “results” here, as well as challenge my fellow SawdustZone comrades to do the same. So… over the next few months, I hereby challenge YOU to post pics, descriptions, details about how you utilized the humble 2x6 to complete a project.

GO!
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Oh me, now I need to use what is left of my brain! I certainly have enough tools! I need the challenge!
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-01-2023, 10:07 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

OK, I used more than just 2x6s. All of these were built from 2x construction scraps from the homes built around us. Joinery is biscuits and glue. Edges are 3/4" round over. Casters are from HD, locking in the front and fixed in the rear. Doors are scrap 3/4" plywood. Hinges are replacements from when I replaced old doors with six panel oak doors. Latches are cheap purchased. And that is my original BT3000 from 1993 that was used to cut all of the wood for these.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	2D1A81A6-79B0-49DB-A196-C9C3D8BC7E42.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	853866
      Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-01-2023, 10:49 PM.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

What were rules of this challenge?

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The rules from the 2011 2x6 Challenge, which I believe were the same as the original are as follows"

So far the rules are simple:
          • Materials choice is limited to one stick nominal 2"x6"x8' std & btr. grade construction lumber as is commonly available at a home center or box store in the members zip code. (like we will be able to check this).
          • You may use other wood, metal, fabric, hardware, etc. as long as the focus remain on what you can make from the 2x6. The other material is for accent or hardware use only. The project shall not depend on an accent. Limit to <10% of project.
          • Registration deadline is March 31, 2011.
          • All projects must be submitted no later than 12:00 PM EST April 30, 2011.
          • Judging will be by popular vote by members via the forum poll function.
          • Prizes will be awarded based on member polls, meaning at this time we do not have a breakdown. Please add you input in the comming month to the prize poll.
          By the way, if anyone has squirreled away the pictures of the entrants from the 2005 2x6 challenge, I would love to restore them to the site. There was some pretty impressive stuff done with a single 2x6.
          Last edited by twistsol; 02-02-2023, 08:41 AM.
          Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            have you checked the internet Wayback machine archives?
        • Nick Keenan
          Established Member
          • Apr 2004
          • washington, dc, USA.

For inspiration, here's a video of a cabinet made from a 2x6:

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Sam Conder commented
            Editing a comment
            Very cool, Nick!
            Last edited by Sam Conder; 02-02-2023, 09:37 PM.

• nicer20
            nicer20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow !! Amazing craftmanship ...
        • Dedpedal
          Established Member
          • Feb 2020
          • Palm Coast Florida
          • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I’ll give it a shot. I have a friend in Ireland and we occasionally get bored or otherwise tired of the shop and challenge ourselves to grad one piece of scrap wood and make something.
          when is this going to happen?

Comment

• Black walnut
            Administrator
            • Aug 2015
            • BT3K

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	251
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	853914

My entry from the first 2x6 contest 2005
            just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
              twistsol commented
              Editing a comment
              One down a bunch to go. Thanks Mark.

• nicer20
              nicer20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow !! Amazing craftmanship ...
          • LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here were the 2005 entries by name and titel, but no pictures were found

Name:	image.png
Views:	226
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	853920
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
              twistsol commented
              Editing a comment
              If I recall correctly, you had to be a member to see images back in the olden days.
          • nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

Oh wow sounds interesting - what are the new rules? Most importantly, what is the deadline?

Comment

• leehljp
              leehljp commented
              Editing a comment
              Same as Old rules:
              "Materials choice is limited to one stick nominal 2"x6"x8' std & btr. grade construction lumber as is commonly available at a home center or box store in the members zip code. (like we will be able to check this).
              You may use other wood, metal, fabric, hardware, etc. as long as the focus remain on what you can make from the 2x6. The other material is for accent or hardware use only. The project shall not depend on an accent. Limit to <10% of project."

Date: not yet mentioned. Stay tuned.
          • Black walnut
            Administrator
            • Aug 2015
            • BT3K

it seems to be a different contest as in not a contest at all. More of a challenge to members to do something out of the ordinary. Design and complete a project using just a 2x6x8 construction grade stick of lumber. The important part is to post your journey. Your reward is satisfaction and kudos from other members.

For example, I recently added to my shop a pin gauge set. The plastic box they came in was damaged in transit as would be expected based on item reviews. I am thinking about making a case for them anyway. Might as well search for the perfect stick of 2x6 to be resawed, glued into panels and joined to make a hinged box to case my precision gauges.

nicer20 thanks for the complement. If only you could see the other entries. There were a number that were far more complex than mine. kwgeorge I believe won overall with a spider chair? Anyway his presence on this forum mostly about turning was huge. Jim in Texas was also very talented and posted lots back in the day. He "discovered" segmented turning and became addicted to lathe work. Stan made and submitted a rifle cleaning vise that puts the commercial offerings to shame. Sadly I don't recall all of the great entries. The beautiful part was so many just removed the chips and dust to reveal what the wood was meant to be.
            just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              Post#9 in this thread lists the entries and winners. unfortunately the pictures were lost in a site upgrade.
          • Dedpedal
            Established Member
            • Feb 2020
            • Palm Coast Florida
            • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I’ve been thinking and looking at some previous projects that fit the bill for this event. This step stool is one I made from some scrap 2x8 but I bet I could improve it some and use the 2x6. Click image for larger version

Name:	97F02B3E-E0C2-4271-BC30-178A4334D4E0.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	853966

Comment

• Black walnut

Black walnut
              commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my very first projects after buying my BT3K was to build a step stool. Full width legs with angled rabbets fitting tightly into angled dadoes in the top with small midway stretchers secured with two wood screws at each end. and wood glue. I believe that was 1999 and we use it daily in our bathroom to get in and out of the tub. Amazes me to this day that it has held up. Tight joints with a good glue bond and likely small enough that it doesn't flex.

• Dedpedal
              Dedpedal commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome. This one was an exercise in boredom combined with a need to be able to reach the sleds that hang on the wall. They are about 6” out of reach and bringing a step ladder in every time I needed one was getting old.
              I only used glue and oak dowels for this one.
          • Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

I had to dig deep to find photos of my entry. I was "Knuckles" back then.

Name:	frontview.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	853999
            Click image for larger version  Name:	topview.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	854001

It's still in use.
            Brian

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I should probably grab a 2x6 or 2x8 actually, I need a step for the truck camper...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I'm in. I've got a project in the que that SWMBO wants for the RV. Should come out of single 2x6 easily after some resawing.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

Working...