This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pappy
    replied
    I'm in. I've got a project in the que that SWMBO wants for the RV. Should come out of single 2x6 easily after some resawing.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    I should probably grab a 2x6 or 2x8 actually, I need a step for the truck camper...

Leave a comment:

• Brian G
    replied
    I had to dig deep to find photos of my entry. I was "Knuckles" back then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frontview.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	853999
    Click image for larger version  Name:	topview.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	854001

It's still in use.

Leave a comment:

• Dedpedal
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome. This one was an exercise in boredom combined with a need to be able to reach the sleds that hang on the wall. They are about 6” out of reach and bringing a step ladder in every time I needed one was getting old.
    I only used glue and oak dowels for this one.

• Black walnut
    commented on 's reply
    One of my very first projects after buying my BT3K was to build a step stool. Full width legs with angled rabbets fitting tightly into angled dadoes in the top with small midway stretchers secured with two wood screws at each end. and wood glue. I believe that was 1999 and we use it daily in our bathroom to get in and out of the tub. Amazes me to this day that it has held up. Tight joints with a good glue bond and likely small enough that it doesn't flex.

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Post#9 in this thread lists the entries and winners. unfortunately the pictures were lost in a site upgrade.

• Dedpedal
    replied
    I’ve been thinking and looking at some previous projects that fit the bill for this event. This step stool is one I made from some scrap 2x8 but I bet I could improve it some and use the 2x6. Click image for larger version

Name:	97F02B3E-E0C2-4271-BC30-178A4334D4E0.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	853966

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    replied
    it seems to be a different contest as in not a contest at all. More of a challenge to members to do something out of the ordinary. Design and complete a project using just a 2x6x8 construction grade stick of lumber. The important part is to post your journey. Your reward is satisfaction and kudos from other members.

For example, I recently added to my shop a pin gauge set. The plastic box they came in was damaged in transit as would be expected based on item reviews. I am thinking about making a case for them anyway. Might as well search for the perfect stick of 2x6 to be resawed, glued into panels and joined to make a hinged box to case my precision gauges.

nicer20 thanks for the complement. If only you could see the other entries. There were a number that were far more complex than mine. kwgeorge I believe won overall with a spider chair? Anyway his presence on this forum mostly about turning was huge. Jim in Texas was also very talented and posted lots back in the day. He "discovered" segmented turning and became addicted to lathe work. Stan made and submitted a rifle cleaning vise that puts the commercial offerings to shame. Sadly I don't recall all of the great entries. The beautiful part was so many just removed the chips and dust to reveal what the wood was meant to be.

Leave a comment:

• nicer20
    commented on 's reply
    Wow !! Amazing craftmanship ...

• nicer20
    commented on 's reply
    Wow !! Amazing craftmanship ...

• leehljp
    commented on 's reply
    Same as Old rules:
    "Materials choice is limited to one stick nominal 2"x6"x8' std & btr. grade construction lumber as is commonly available at a home center or box store in the members zip code. (like we will be able to check this).
    You may use other wood, metal, fabric, hardware, etc. as long as the focus remain on what you can make from the 2x6. The other material is for accent or hardware use only. The project shall not depend on an accent. Limit to <10% of project."

Date: not yet mentioned. Stay tuned.

• nicer20
    replied
    Oh wow sounds interesting - what are the new rules? Most importantly, what is the deadline?

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    If I recall correctly, you had to be a member to see images back in the olden days.

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    One down a bunch to go. Thanks Mark.

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Here were the 2005 entries by name and titel, but no pictures were found

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	232
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	853920

Leave a comment: