• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Finally found a reasonably priced large deck box to get the propane, camp fuel, and lawn mower gas out of the attached garage... Got it home, assembled it, and moved the fuels into it. It if lights it will only take the old back fence with it.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Storing fuel is something that most folks don’t think about, they just shove the container against the garage wall and pile junk on and around it. There are few safe alternatives and they are too expensive for most homeowners. I found an old 6’ tall 2 door steelclad coat cabinet and converted it into my gasoline storage cabinet. Not the best idea but I can lock it to protect my investment. I fill 6 5 gallon jugs when I catch gas low, And that gets me most of the way through summer mowing. For my generator i store 10 20lb propane cylinders on a shelf 6’ high next to the gas cabinet. If this stuff catches on fire there will be a blaze you can probably see from the space station, the shop will be toast but the house will be ok. Good to locate flammable s away from house

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 4 20lb propane bottles, Well technically 2 20lb and 2 15lb since the exchange programs never fill up all the way. 6 1lb refillables (not a common item BTW), 14 gallons of Coleman Fuel, and 3 5 gallon gas cans of ethanol free fuel for my generator / lawn mower that I hit up with Sta-Bil. I typically fill the gas cans up in late June, and if they don't get used by the end of Hurricane Season I dump the gas in the car, and fill them up with fresh gas + stabilizer. Even with fuel stabilizer the stuff can still turn to varnish so I don't like keeping it around too long.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Managed to get a coat of poly on the bookshelves today after work. At one coat per day and three coats per side this will take a while, especially because I don't have room to do the backs or the adjustable shelves on my drying racks so that will be a whole additional batch. This set is only 4 of 10 bookshelves for the office
    Chr's

Comment

• furthermore
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2020
      • North Yarmouth, ME
      • Ryobi BT3K

Managed to get some work done on some moped projects this weekend and go for a nice ride with a friend!

Unfortunately later that day I discovered something unpleasant with the vespa's transmission https://photos.app.goo.gl/xTaB9eKcuB3VsvHAA

Good thing I always need a project, huh?

Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Today was special for the USS Texas BB-35. It saw battles in WWI and WWII and was retired and given to the state of Texas in 1948 and has been a Museum since. It last moved in 1988 to a dry dock for repairs and since then has been rusting silently away in her berth next to the San Jacinto Monument.
        For the first time in 34 years she was pulled free of the sandbar in her berth with hull patched and pumps running was towed 40 miles to Galveston where she will undergo a $35M two year dry dock rehab. I took these pictures as she sailed (OK, she was towed) through the Galveston ship channel today.

110 years old never looked better. Built in 1912-1914 she is the last remaining Dreadnought style battleship (this is the style of ship with centerline multiple turrets of big guns from which all Battleships designed afterwards followed) from WWI. ANd the only surviving warships to have served in two world wars. None of the British Battleships were saved and none of the other US Battleships of the era - USS New York, Tennessee, Maryland, W Virginia, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Nevada, Utah, California, New Mexico, Mississippi, Idaho have survived. Only the Arizona and she is in somewhat worse shape at the bottom of Pearl Harbor. There are only a small handful of men left alive that served on her in WWII.

Enjoy the pictures below I took as she glided by. Still looks very menacing and fit for purpose. You can click on all the full size pics in the attachments to see them.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P8315765crop.jpg Views:	4 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	852200
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-01-2022, 01:07 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now safe and dry in the dry dock.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	349
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	852206

Not my pic., from the news.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I've been busy working on fixing the truck and starting the camper conversion. So far... Mind you, The new engine is in process now at the builders. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty so there is that...

1. Swapped out the leaking / swamped headlights with new assemblies, swapped out all bulbs for LEDs. Swapped an LED compatible flasher relay.
            2. Swapped the leaking third brake light for an LED unit. You can't just buy a new seal for these trucks and keep your OEM brake light working. Go figure.
            3. Swapped out tail / stop / turn and reverse light bulbs for fresh LEDs. There is a theme. Will work on interior bulbs soon enough.
            4. Obtained, cleaned, mounted and sealed as best I can a mismatched but hi top fiberglass camper shell. It is from a 2007 classic body style Chevy Silverado 2500, far from a perfect match for my F150 as the shell literally extends about 3/4 of an inch past the end of the truck bed. But I will find a way to make the bottom of the hatch seal as that is the only real problem point.
            5. Sourced up all the components except for batteries, I want them fresher, for the solar system. 300w suitcase style panels, DC to DC charger / charge controller so I can charge the house battery from solar or alternator, and more than enough cable to do the job. Grafted in a fuse holder into the hot wire that will come from the alternator to the DC to DC charger. Gotta have a fuse for safety!
            6. Sourced up and waiting on delivery of new tires. The truck has been sitting for years on tired 35x12.50/17s that always rubbed a bit. I am stepping down to 33x12.50/17 load range E BFGoodrich All Terrain TA KO2s. I had the same diameter tire in 11.2" wide previously in metric, they were 285/70R17. I like to camp on the beach and fish, so I wanted wider tires to float the sand instead of digging for middle earth
            7. Got a 63qt 12v frridge and have been running it in to test it make sure it holds. Just fine thank you!
            8. Double checked my propane camp shower, Had to fix some issues with the copper output line. Need to test.
            9. Sourced up a low $$ 6" memory foam twin mattress.
            10. Sourced up 2x2s and 2x3s for the frame structure of the bed frame 2x2s making the permiteter frame and cross members lap jointed. Uprights will be 2x3 and butt jointed and corner braced. Fill will be XPS foam with PMF. The design is a big L that will have an open space at the tailgate end for the port o potty storage to hide behind a door, and will be tall enough to clear my Reliance Aqua Tainers and the pickup plumbing to get to the hot shower connection.

My Drill Master 18V cordless batteries are dying, no shock there. I need to decide on a new cordless and while I don't have a lot of use for cordless, I want it to be good.

I am looking for something that will offer a good drill, sander and oscillating multi tool, quite possibly a recip saw. Those are the items I find I need cordless for...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

Put a coat of poly on bookshelf parts. I have two sides left to do because they are two sided. All the tops bottoms and fixed shelves are done and pile in the office. I had a run on the face frames so sanded that a little too far and went through the stain to bare wood so I need to sand those all the way back to bare wood and start again.

Got the four 2' x 8' backs sanded and stained and have good weather for the next couple of days so I should be able to get those finished and then the bookshelves 1 through four of ten will finally be ready for assembly.

Installed about half a room of LVP flooring in my daughter's house in the dog grooming salon and will go back tomorrow and probably Monday as well to finish that and the hallway. I can only crawl on my knees for about four hours at a time doing this stuff before I'm done for the day.
              Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I bit the bullet and said to heck with the cheap Drill Master 18v cordless drill that only gives me about a half hour of working time before it is just a clump of useless plastic.

I looked around, and yes I liked the Rigid 18v but I didn't love it. And I have gotten great service out of everything I have had Ryobi branded. I have heard really good things about the One+ system, and Home Depot had the One+ stuff around 40% off, so I got the 3/8 drill, teh 5" Random Orbital Sander, charger and 3 of the One+ HP batteries coming from Home Depot shipped direct to the house.

I am hoping to knock the rust out of my truck bed with the sander, it that with some Naval Jelly and then clean that all up, prime and paint the bed with just plain tan / beige paint, not going to PTM the OE color as it will be covered with a Bedrug anyway...

Spent some time fine tuning the wiring harness for hte DC to DC charger, which allows me to charge a camper "house" battery from the alternator OR solar panels. The harness I was working on comes from Engine compartment to the house battery box which is getting installed on the frame under the cab, well away from the fuel tank or exhaust but close to the Transfer case...

Moved my project lumber for the bed platform into the shop, and took my measurements. The water tank WITH the plumbing fittings is just at 18", so I figure if I make the platform 18.25" PLUS the plywood, I should have no interference issues. That literally means I will have a bed platform that is 38" wide x 75" long x 19" high, With the 6" thick memory foam mattress, that means the mattess will be just above the bedrail height while uncompressed by body weight.

I need to determine where the wheel well notch needs to be, and how far back I Need to set it, once I have that I can move ahead with the design and build of the platform. Rails will be 2x2 and uprights will be 2x3.

I am considering pulling the stock front bumper, brush guard / winch mount, and winch arrangement off of the truck, and replacing it with one of those Buckstop style winch bumpers. The idea is for a couple of resons. First off, potentially weight. I believe the bumper I am looking at weighs in just at the same as the OEM bumper plus a basic winch plate. Meaning all the extra weight of the brush guard assembly is just extra weight AND extra bits of metal that can and often do get bent into fenders by idiots in parking lots.

Secondly I am considering unspooling all of the steel cable, and spooling on a syntetic winch line and replacing the roller fairlead with a Hawse fairelead as that will save me yet another 30 or so pounds.

Third. The front bumper is damaged any needs to be replaced anyway...

If I opt for the dedicated winch bumper I could actually theoretically go with a larger capacity winch as well.

This would mean I would have to sell the 9K winch and the winch mount / brush guard. No big heart breaker but more futzing than I want to do...

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

More work on the truck camper. The tires finally came in, sheet metal work / rust removal in the truck bed, and initial electrical. If the weather will work, I will lay out the solar panels and charge controller to charge the deep cycle battery I have for my CPAP...

Installed, at least physically, smart lock on the front door. Can't get the dumb thing to pair with my hub... Rumor has it the lock has to be within 3' of the hub. So I have to either move the front door to the living room, or the living room wall to the front door. Ugh...

Got the Ryobi One+ drill today, chucked the Drill Master crap in the recycle bin. I knew they were junk, but at the price of 2 drill masters, I got the Ryobi with charger and 2 batteries... The sander will be here I believe Friday...

To be blunt, I am mostly trying to keep from going nuts, but the camper project has been keeping my mind busy...

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Re-treated the spots that needed a second dose of Naval Jelly, washed it down. It has been HOT and DRY enough today that it dried up within an hour. Painted the truck bed, at least the spots eposed, so yeah it is a patchwork that will be covered by the bedrug so no big deal.

Pulled the rusted step bars off, took breaking 3 of the bolts off to do it but the step bars and the rusted bolts are gone. There are thread inserts still in the body work not sure if I cam going to reuse them or not. If not I can pop them out quickly.

My replacement step bars were supposed to be here today, but UPS delayed yet another package to me.

Loaded up the dishwasher, and got it started. I keep forgetting I am the only one here. I would load but she would start it and unload.

I reheated a frozen reheatable dinner friends gave me, and I am about to go out and buy cheap tacos because I forgot about the pot roast in the oven... Oops...

Had a job interview this morning with a manager that was a supervisor of mine sometihing like 16 or so years ago. Went pretty well, but I think he thinks I want more money than they have to spend...

Well, the house is paid for now, I only have to keep up with taxes, insurance, utilities and repairs, and I don't have to impress anyone...

Considering dropping my lawn service. I had one because my wife was worried about me working outdoors in the heat of the summer. I think the excersize would be good for me and so I have to decide that kind of soon...

It IS hot out right now. Will wait until tomorrow to vacuum out the truck bed, and get the mattress, and water carriers out there, and play with some layouts. I think the passenger side bench L configuration is what I will do but I want to be sure... so basically shove the mattress over to one side and up over the wheel well to see how much space I have left.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                      commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You make all the same valid points my wife did... And no the lawn service is not unreasonable. I was just thinking it would get me outside of these walls more.

• capncarl
                      capncarl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Another way to think about it, we spend endless hours over thinking our dust control system so we won’t have to breathe harmful wood dust and we still wear hot and uncomfortable masks and respirators. We wear safety glasses and fogged up googles to protect our eyes, gloves to protect our hands……. Why do we still insist on subjecting our old arthritis ridden overweight and out of shape bodies to near 100 degree high humidity in the sake of exercising? In 2018 my wife and I started going regularly to our local YMCA, paid for by our AARP plan. About 5 days each week, 5 exercise machines and 1 mile on a tread mill…. In a quiet air conditioned gym! We met a lot of old friends and made a bunch of new ones, and didn’t have a heat stroke!

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If the money is not an issue (my house is paid for, too) then I will let the yard man do it. You have so many creative/constructive projects I'd let the yard man do the grounds regularly and keep the HOA happy, and do the tasks you want at your pace and schedule. Besides it keeps people employed. You live in houston, the summers are brutal!
                  • Dedpedal
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Palm Coast Florida
                    • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Spent most of the morning laying flooring in one of the spare bedrooms and finished a bowl on the lathe. Tomorrow is Funday Sunday More Floor ar show day!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Spend the day in Austin, my Son had a guy pour a patio deck below his deck to the guy threw in some railing for the stairs as a bonus, but he did it in about 45 minutes and clearly eyeballed everything including the spacing of the 6 balusters. and the bevel cut on the top railing. Not being in the contract, My son could not really complain about it.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	731.9 KB ID:	852263

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	960.7 KB ID:	852262
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	663.0 KB ID:	852264​​​

So a few months back my son asked if I could make it look a little better.

So its hot and the US Open Finals is on TV. So I make a day project out of a 45 minute job.

Fotos to follow.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-10-2022, 11:09 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002

Yesterday, I finished the last couple pieces of flooring at my daughter's house Grooming salon and hallways, and got all the door trim back up and rehung the closet doors. Added oak quarter round wherever there is new floor. The transitions I picked up at Menards were awful so I'll return the two that are unopened and come up with a new plan for the bathroom and gaming room transitions.

I also got all the drawers finished and installed in the office cabinets. No drawer fronts or doors yet, those come after the bookcases are installed.

Today, more spraying of bookcase parts. I forgot to build the pedestal base for the book cases soi even through everything else should be ready to install, it will be a few more days before I can do that. Countertop measurements this week so hopefully that will be ready around the time I finish the doors and drawer fronts.
                        Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some before and after pictures

Trimmed the top rail to close the gap
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	952.2 KB ID:	852267

Straightened out and spaced the balusters (note that the vertical posts were not really parallel)
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	852268

Rounded over the end of the top rail so the kiddos won't get hurt on the sharp corners the contactor left. I forgot a sanding block, I'll bring one next time.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	742.8 KB ID:	852269
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	636.5 KB ID:	852270
                          Ordinarily I would cut a scrap of wood to the exact width of the space between balusters to use as a spacer. But not having my​ table saw handy I came up with this idea. I brought my adjustable "lab jack" work supports. I dialed in the exact width I needed.Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	477.4 KB ID:	852271
                          https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...aboratory-lift
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-12-2022, 12:48 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• anglinastone
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Sep 2022
                            • United States

Today, I did research about topic related to woodworking. Took my breakfast and go to office

Comment

Working...