• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Some more hauling out / organizing. Took the old particle board book cases out and chucked them on the curb. 3 guesses what I have up my sleeve with that new shelf pin jig?

Tore the jigs out of their respective packaging, and got them into their, well temporary housing for now. Once the rolling cart for the drill accessories is done, and the drill accessories populate it, the then devoid of drilling accessories drawers will become jig and cabinet bits drawers...

Went to Texas City Buccees to get replacement lids for our 40oz stainless steel tumblers. The little lid flaps keep falling off and I like to be able to close them up...

Went to Harbor Freight and got the set of casters for the drill press storage cabinet mobile base. Also got a pair of pivot pad locking clamps. Same thing as the Kreg clamps with smaller but still very workable pads to hold the jigs in place while in use. And NO I did not get the 11" whoppers, I just don't see them as useful...

More sorting, chucking out pretty much anything I find with particle board. I need to find my plans book for kitchen and bathroom cabinets. I have somewhwere around here a book full of standardized plans for kitchen and bath cabinets from B&D, easily a 20 year old book and it is high time to put it to use after setting the SIL up with her cabinets. I also need to do some custom RV cabs in the next couple of seasons. Will go into detail on that later...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Installed the hose reel stop ball thing. Now my hands stink. What is what that Chinese rubber smell? It's not like tires, or American automobile bushings, it's, well its own smell...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Saturday we finally had some calm dry weather so I was able to get the interiors of the office cabinets sprayed. Sunday helped the neighbor framing deck stairs after setting the last four posts. Monday built the base for the cabinet boxes to sit on and got them moved into place in my office. Today I sorted through my giant stash of reclaimed birch for stock to make the face frames and just started rough cutting when the power went out. By the time the power came back, my allotted shop time had expired.
        Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Allotted shop time?
          Last edited by capncarl; 07-06-2022, 10:27 PM.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Putting up tools that have been spread all over the shop and house. It's amazing how many misc tools particularly hammers and screwdrivers I own...

I finally gave into the influence of LCHIEN and ordered a set of universal fence clamps. But sorry, no not fancy ones, just came across a deal on Amazon on a pair of Milescraft 4009s...

I boogered up the retaining ring on my impact wrench doing the shocks and struts last week, I managed to get the ring off straighten it out, get it back on, and then realize that Amazon sells multi pack sets of replacements cheap. Go figure... Well next time I guess. This is the first time in 10 years my impact has had an issue so might be a while...

I need to get the step stool out to the shop and move some bicycle hooks around to hang my folding roller stands.
        Last edited by dbhost; 07-06-2022, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          A pair for $12? Good deal if well made. Usually Milescraft stuff is OK.

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I've always had good results with Milescraft. They have 2 pairs for $20.00 as well, but I only needed one pair to get my planned project done. Pretty simple item I would think it would be difficult to mess up manufacturing them. Not impossible, but difficult...
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

More cleanup. It's HOT right now, tomorrow is supposed to be 100 deg F, even with AC the shop is going to be too warm to want to work in so I will avoid it, but for today I have...

1. Reinforced the shop vac shelf that was repurposed to cased automotive tools shelf, so the ball joint press, tie rod end tool, manifold gauges, vacuum pump etc... are all up there and secure.
        2. Moved the bicycle hooks around. I now have my folding roller stands hung right in front of hte dust collector, I can easily get around them and turn the DC on / off, and maintain the bag etc..
        3. FINALLY found my grease gun, and realized the 30+ year old hose is, well, not there... need to run to HF and get one of their 18" grease gun hoses, swap the grease fitting end around and get it going. Oh and put my new tube of grease in the thing finally.
        4. Hurrying to get the router table cleaned off. I am going to go the router, well, route to get the dadoes for T track in my dovetail template jigs.
        5. Located the perfect piece of volunteer lumber for that sacrificial fence for those fence clamps that should be showing up today...
        6. I did mention more cleanup right? Got the socket sets, wrench sets, etc... put back together, and put back into the tool chest. Picking up bits and pieces of, well cutoffs etc... from the floor and sorting them. Keep, glue up and turn, or goes into the burn pile... Not a lot in between Actually my cutoff bin needs to be gone through again. I am itching to take the walnut and maple scraps and do a segmented glue up / turning...
        7. More sorting, and head scratching. Realized if I do the planned lathe bench, I loose a spot for my floor jack, and likely jack stands.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Got busy with blogger and spent some time writing up my initial impressions of the Milescraft Fence clamps. Pretty good buy, and while there was one minor flaw, it really isn't a deal breaker, especiallky at this price point.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Doing some computer / home network related stuff. We upgraded to Fiber internet last month, and that came with some pretty awesome new mesh WiFi routers that actaully cover the entirety of the inside, AND outside of the house. I have been running around switching networks from my old wifi network to the new one with all the Alexa devices, and security cameras.

My home automation hub is on a static IP address on the old network, I need to change it over to DHCP before I can shut the old router off. 5 years was a good run but I am done with it... Anyway...

Doing some 3D printing, mounts for the Echo Dots, for the Eero Pro 6 routers, and for my home automation hub.

I've still got cable internet as well, I wanted a redundant connection, and until home cellular internet is a thing here, cable is my only option. Comcast KNOWS they have competition now, so I got their cheapest plan that was at least 300mbps, which happens to be their 600 meg service for $39.99 since I own my own device. That means another tech project.

Tomorrow if I am up to it, I will set up a TP-Link Dual WAN router for failover. Basically should my fiber internet be unavailable, the router will shunt packets through cable. Not exactly a load balancer, but not exactly not either...

I need to replace the ceiling fan in my office as my wife insisted I buy myself a funky space themed ceiling fan, honestly it's because she wants mine for her office. It is an old funky Hunter that looks oddly like a cross between R2D2 and art deco. She got some awesome Star Wars blades for them. Yes she is a Star Wars fan... Pre Disney of course...

Still more time spent cleaning and organizing the shop. Got all the automotive tools put back up, all the loose doo dads like hammers, mallets, screwdrivers, levels and such that have been spreading through the house are put back up.

I've also got some issues with a KVM extender. I need to pull power from the network rack, AND the far end. So that will happen when I swap those fans...

Tomorrow is supposedly going to be extra hot, and the power company is asking us to go easy on electrical use. That means no AC in the shop for me. Hard pass in this weather.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Almost done with my network upgrades. Home automation hub still on the old router, but I have it set on DHCP, just need to move it over and reboot, should get the fresh IP and be good...

Got the new ceiling fan in the middle bedroom / office, a funky earth / space theme, and it works perfectly.

Printed out the wall mount for the home automation hub. I am using Alien Tape to mount it to the entertainment center / credenza. Not sure I am going to use the actual bracket, but I kind of wanted it easier to get to...

Printing out the bracket for the cable modem. Going to take a good long time to print... It's tall...

Once that is done, I get to print out the wall brackets for the Eero Pro 6 mesh routers...

Have not mounted up the fan for the back bedroom / office. The new blades won't fit the arms. I need to go to Home Depot and see if they have some white arms that will fit the new blades...

Update, went to Home Depot and go the new blade arms. Holes were still slightly too narrow, Stacked the blades and drilled the new holes anyway, Mounted up blade arms to blades, will be ready to install the ceiling fan tomorrow.

Lots of studying to do tomorrow. The job market for me is SCREAMING for AWS certification, and I am cramming for it. Getting hung up on the RDB (databases) portion of it so I am going to go over that again tomorrow...
              Last edited by dbhost; 07-09-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• nicer20
                Established Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Dublin, CA
                • BT3100

SWMBO last week complained the dishwasher door doesn't stay open partially and falls down. Indeed that was true.

Jumped onto eBay and ordered friction pads which arrived last night in the mail.

So promptly spent the morning replacing these. One side was completely missing. Requires unscrewing the dishwasher to pull it forward. Luckily I am the one who installed it in the first place so remembered the hoops I had jumped through. It requires me to remove flooring panel to get the clearance. Patting my own back since last time during installation I took the time and had used my router to cut two notches on the hidden edge where I can slip my fingers to pull it up.

Job done - Hopefully now, Happy Wife Happy Life.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Installed the revamped ceiling fan into my wifes office today. Had to run out and grab some new blade to motor screws from Home Depot. The originals were stripped out... New blades, new blade arms, and the shakey shakey that has been going on in my office for years goes away... Gee thanks...

So at least for now, fan armageddon is avoided. I have 2 left to do, both in the master suite. Bleh...

The first 3D printed wall bracket for my Eero Pro 6 router is installed in the master bath, out of the way, out of harms way, and located to where it puts signal exactly where I need it.

Working on printing the 2nd for the main one in the office. One thing 3D printing is not, is fast...

My wife wants me to detail paint the Tie Fighter echo dot holder I printed for her office before glueing the pieces up, so I guess I need to go to the hobby shop and get some model paint for that.

With the exception of her office, and the master suite all the Echo dots are housed in proper mounts, which is awesome as I no longer have them sucking up counter top space, and they actually look like, well built in tech now... Except for of course the power wires..

Not even considering looking at my shop until temps outside get under 96 deg F. I can deal with the shop at 80 degrees, but not much more... And the AC only does so much...

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Working, but aside from that.... My 3/8" mortise chisel has lost its plastic safety cap, and I get REALLY nervous reaching around the mortise chisels to turn on / off the air compressor. So I deigned a set of replacements in Sketchup, exported the STL sliced it up in cura and am now printing my replacements, in white. After I started the print, I thought gee I have safety orange filament... Oh well maybe when I lose the next one!

I am definately having adhesion issues on the glass build surface. I see that I believe it is Creality offers a flexible steel build plate for the Ender 3, which would work perfectly with my Voxelab Aquila, and not have the adhesion issues glass build plates do...

I got both Eero Pro 6 routers wall mounted, will work as time permits on building custom length cables to tidy the install up. It is getting congested in my network closet. I guess I could have gone much simpler, but I started this project before AWS was getting to be a big thing... and was using it to crash course on bare metal technologies. I can do the same thing I am doing with this old huge hardware by using Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB SOC computers... Except for the RAM thing... So sad...

Comment

• furthermore
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2020
                      • North Yarmouth, ME
                      • Ryobi BT3K

Been a while since I dropped by! It's been super busy here as we're getting married at the end of the month, but I found some time to make a couple of picture frames for these two prints I've had. Just pine, finished with a wipe of Tung oil. I've made a lot of shop upgrades, too, maybe I'll save that for another post
                      Attached Files

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                        commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! And for being "just pine" those frames are just beautiful. Never underestimate pine projects. I love working with the stuff as it has interesting grain, and can be had cheap if not free depending on what you need...
                    • twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My wife and three daughters are on a cruise so I've had grandpa duty for the past few days. I've accomplished nothing but done alot and I'm exhausted. I think grandkids bedtime and mine are going to be much closer together tonight.
                      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Unlike Chr's we just went on a cruise with the grandsons. 7 and 11 YO.
                        It was a bit hectic... imagine 2 70 year olds and two rambunctious boys in a small room for a week.
                        But it was nice but not as relaxing as our regular cruising. This is our first cruise since 2019.
                        Alaska in the 50's and 60's beats Houston in the 100's of degrees.
                        The boys parents and baby sister were in another room so we had plenty of help nearby,

Click image for larger version  Name:	292299774_5143187585780199_7747422134413043825_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=sIZkh8KGM2YAX-KugkN&_nc_oc=AQlYmjDq_ZAbIRqwvcmpZFPy2AKDCJB5K1uDQxwF26zyOlknx8A36gJYiZRUsIjYRk0&tn=ZGt7WQDGxHQ1O_go&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1 Views:	0 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	851671

Couple of Alaskan salmon I caught. The ships' chefs cooked them for our party. (one was more than enough to feed the whole group) and it tasted great.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                          capncarl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice catch!
                          The “ships chef”, as in the cruse ship chef? I didn’t see that option on our last
                          Alaska cruise. That would have been great!

• LCHIEN
                          LCHIEN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah. It was a ships excursion and you had three options.. pack on ice to take with you or pack and ship home ($250). Or pack on ice and give it to the ships staff at the dock with paperwork your cabin no. The day you wanted it and the dining time and how you wanted it prepared. This was Holland America. Man it was really super good and normally salmon is not my first choice fish. They also had some super good halibut fish and chips for lunch.

• atgcpaul
                          atgcpaul commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My cousin and her husband went on an Alaskan cruise 13 years ago with her two sisters. Apparently on that cruise, the couple conceived and now their daughter's nickname is "Ketchikan"
                      • dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Wife is under the weather a bit today, might have finally caught the 'rona but test says no... Letting her rest, made a half batch of Caldo De Pollo and currently making Spanish rice. I'm going to eventually get her to make chicken schnitzel and haus fries as fair play turnaround...

Comment

Working...