• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

This morning, I managed to get the sheet goods parts for the base cabinets for the office cut to final size and labeled. I'll be using an applied face frame for these so I'll cut those once the boxes are assembled and in place.

That is four 762mm / 30" and two 381mm / 15" base cabinets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2631.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	849121

I print out the labels from cutlist to help prevent or at least reduce screwing things up.

Name:	IMG_2632.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	849120

And now it is off to Sioux Falls to see the grand kids ... and their parents I guess.
    Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it’s a pair of them with an STM 1800 folded up underneath.

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Am I reading the label correctly, you list both mm and inch sizes?

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes and no. The SA: is the sub assembly name which I used “15” Face Frame Base” as the cabinet name for my non metric wife. All part measurements are in mm
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Did the grocery shopping, and my lovely bride dragged me to Jo Ann Fabrics, and Michaels Crafts. I have no idea why she hates me...

Just kidding. But she does know I hate meandering checke everything in the store trips out. I go for my thing and I leave. That is not her style. This is in no small part due to my back issues.

So today I was SERIOUSLY wishing I had my anti fatige mats as shoes...

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a big bag of replacement silica packets. They are cheap, and honestly I keep screwing them up when I try to dry them out...

The new regulator / filter is working out fine. Dialing it in straight to 90psi is a bit of a challenge but it can be done. Even though this looks and mounts the same as the CP, honestly the fine tuning / responsiveness of the regulator itself is very different. This one it responds but slowly...

Honestly I REALLY want my CP fixed. Still looking for the diaphragm.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      If you don’t wander, explore a store you will not be aware of what treasures they have that you might need in the future! Sure it might be sewing stuff, but if you thought you needed a magnifying light…. Like right now… where would you go? HF,L,HD, TS? Probably won’t have it so you have to go home and browse the Internet and get your light next week, while JoAnns has them on the shelf.

And while you were in there did you notice the Cricket machines? No? You gotta go get a demonstration of these things, I can see endless possibilities for a workshop with one of these beauties!

• furthermore
      furthermore commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not wild about the styling and I'm NOT a runner, but my runner friends swear by these and they describe the feeling like wearing anti-fatigue mats. https://www.hoka.com/en/us/

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been buying shoes from orthofeet.com for the past 5 years or so. It’s made a huge difference in my comfort, feet, knees, back and hip. My wife also swears by the hoka brand shoes.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah Men and women approach shopping trips differently.

Name:	dd880692412f3e92aff1d30a16ec14c6.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	849145
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• duramen
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2022

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Yeah Men and women approach shopping trips differently.

(Image of cartoon. See it in the post above.)
      Does anyone think that the post above encourages women (and others) to show an interest in woodworking and join this forum? I don't.

Here is the message that many will see: "Women are treated differently here. This is the Boys' Club."

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        I fit both depending on the store. Clothes shopping I fit the man pattern get in and out as quickly as possible. The grocery store is the opposite because I follow each weeks recipe in my head and get the items as I need them. Plus my grocery store rearranges stuff just to
        Screw with me. Menards and Home Depot I need to see everything in case there is something new that I didn't know I needed.

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been on the fence about replying to this, but this just bugs me. I have shown the meme to several female family members, including one that was the first person to share that meme with me in the first place years ago, it's not a new thing in the slightest.

Not a one of them finds the meme offensive, or even unfunny... My wife going so far as to say "That's so me!"...

To be blunt, While woodworking has traditionally been a male dominated domain, we have been open, inviting and accepting of all people regardless of their reproductive organs. I for one simply couldn't care less about if you have an innie or an outie as it were. It's just not a consideration when dealing with the craft of woodworking.

We are not actively encouraging nor discouraging participation from anyone that has an interest in woodworking. We are encouraging the particpaton of ALL PEOPLE. PERIOD, end of story.

To treat women as "other" by changing up the approach to the hobby / craft is treating women as something less than men. The only area where I could think advice to women being different MAY be appropriate, and really it is not male / female specific, but is more comon with females, and that is tie / secure long hair back before using any equipment that could grab and pull that hair. Lathes are particularly nasty for that..

Same goes for flowing clothes. There may be other issues regarding protecting the anatomy differently that I honestly can not advise on, HOWEVER I am fully open to learning about so that the women that I love (Agape not eros if you know the difference) would be safe.

I also find the assertion that women would en masse and as a block respond with thin skinned offense to be highly, and I can ot emphasize that strongly enough, but it is HIGHLY insulting to the character of women. I could ask a sampling of women their input on this, but I already know that they are not of a single mind. They are individuals with their own thoughts and minds. To treat them as a collective is to deprive the individuals of their own agency.

Do you see women as delicate little flowers that cannot see a good natured meme without being harmed? Because if you do, YOU are the one treating women differently and as something less than men. And I ask you to reconsider your perspective.

If we are to treat women differently, we would have to adjust the banter back and forth between members and participants to this forum. And that would NOT be right.

Stick around and watch. We knock around the men pretty good too! Including an awful lot of self deprecating humor. And I am pretty sure the men won't bail by being all offended. Give women the same chance to have some joy in their lives instead of assuming they are offended at evertyhing. They might just surprise you...
        Last edited by dbhost; 03-13-2022, 11:24 PM.
    • Black walnut
      Administrator
      • Aug 2015
      • BT3K

Originally posted by duramen

Does anyone think that the post above encourages women (and others) to show an interest in woodworking and join this forum? I don't.

Here is the message that many will see: "Women are treated differently here. This is the Boys' Club."
      I believe you are being hypersensitive. Over the years I have received many complaints but frankly until you joined and started reporting posts never has anyone mentioned that we are not welcoming to women. I joined this forum within the first month of it going live as did Loring. I am sure he can also recall that we have had many women members over the years and they were not offended by our posts and humor. Posts such as the one above violate no rules and is not in my opinion in bad taste. If it offends you then you can either choose to ignore it or move along. WE will not censure our members posts if they do not violate our rules. We welcome all members. If folks choose to be offended so be it.

Normally I respond to "reported posts" offline but you seem to want to discuss it publicly. Perhaps you can articulate exactly how such humor is offensive. While you are doing so tell us more about yourself. Where are you from? (yeah I can look up your IP) What's your background? What table saw do you use? Fill out the profile, it helps others to know more about you. The fact of the matter is you did join our forum. You could do a search or several and see that we have had humor such as above frequently and yet you joined anyway. What does that say about you as you complain about it? Can you see that your choice of username could be offensive to some? Our standards do require subjective analysis from time to time of posts. Some posts have been found unworthy.

Reference the Forum description:

Around the coffee potThis forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Thanks for your participation in our forum.

just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I am not 100% certain, but for $5.00 it was worth ordering, but I might have found a replacement for the regulator diaphragm. Time will tell.

Took the wife out for a picnic lunch at the local park overlooking Galveston Bay. It was downright beautiful today, although a little chilly.

I need new tires for the front of the Malibu. The front passenger side apparently has been underinflated and is wearing the outer edges. Bleh... Gotta go to Wally World...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          A man with two air compressors in his shop and a piped air system with regulators and filters, yet has underinflated tires on his car.... hmmmmmm. Need a longer hose?

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, I need to as Nike says, just do it... And remember, 2 air compressors ganged together for 1 high flow setup.... I should have fixed the stupid thing months ago. Every time I think about it my priorities get changed for me... And it IS on the passenger side. So I tend to not see it until the car starts pulling funny.

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          I finally did something that I saw I I would never do… I purposefully bought Chinese mfg’d tires. Backstory… the tires on my F150, 16’ trailer, and boat trailer all have gone past their useful life and I have had failures due to age on the truck and boat trailer. I decided that it was a waste of money to buy high dollar high mileage Michelin tires for a truck that will only get half the life out of a tire before it becomes unsafe or fails due or age. I purchased Greenball truck tires from a local Goodyear tire store. About half the price as comparable tires, and ordered tires online through Walmart for the 2 trailers and 1 lawnmower. Way lots more cheaper, and seem to be a well made tire. The lawnmower tires cost as much for 4 tires as 1 tire cost! The Greenball tires on the F150 ride as well as the Michelin x radial does and are quieter.
      • leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by duramen

I have lived overseas (East Asia) and intermixed with nationals of several countries, and occasionally with internationals. Only in America (USA) among a few groups have I found a disdain for laughing at ourselves and culture. And no, I did not poke fun at the other cultures, but they sure did among themselves. Knowing their culture well and speaking their language, I saw their humor of their culture and laughed along with them. Men among men and women among women, and mixed. いどばた会議。 Ido bata kaigi = women at the well meeting = gossip party. Taught to me by my 70 year old female language teacher when I was 40. That was only one of hundreds of phrases that taught me their culture as well as their language. Life is to be enjoyed and much to be laughed at and with.
        Last edited by leehljp; 03-13-2022, 04:16 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• duramen
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2022

I apologize for hijacking the thread, and will try to keep my response brief.

Whenever we separate people like that, one group may feel that they are the butt of the joke. Imagine if someone had replaced "Men" (why capitalized?) or "women" with "Asian" or "Black" or "Latino" or "White" or "islamic" or "Jewish" or "Catholic" or "irish" or whatever. How would it be interpreted? Women are subjected to subtle sexism often enough. If you don't understand why such humor might discourage some women from joining here, then I suggest that you ask around, and hopefully you will find someone who can explain it. Look up the term "microagresssion". (The term "microagression" has its own issues, but it is a starting point.) I may be sensitive to it, but perhaps you are not sensitive enough. People who live with discrimination notice it all day every day, but they rarely point it out to others. Yes, the banter may need to change if all members are to feel welcome and equal.

I flagged the humor post. I received a notification of a response to the flag, but saw no reply or other text (either private or public) and the post remained, so I decided to post my comment in the thread. It was a mistake, but I won't take it back.

Originally posted by Black walnut
          Where are you from? (yeah I can look up your IP)
          That little aside seems kinda' creepy to me.

In summary, I wish to express my appreciation to those who helped me here with my woodworking questions, but it is plain and clear that I don't fit in.
          Last edited by duramen; 03-14-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            You may be gone by the time I write this, but...
            Despite your observation that nothing happened there was quite a lengthy discussion behind the scenes - there were 29 posts in the moderator forum on this topic as a result of your flag and your subsequent public post. There are several moderators so it took a while for everyone's opinions to be aired. After your first flag the post was immediately hidden but after discussion was re-enabled.

I feel I can speak for everyone having participated in the discussion, that we as a group feel that the posts you questioned did not violate any forum rules. Rules specifically allow humor as long as it is in good taste. Several of us ran the posts by our wives and female family members and not one of them thought it to be objectionable.

It was felt that there were levels of sensitivity to all views, and that yours while perhaps some degree of validity is far to the outside of the norm. To apply that level of sensitivity will stifle all friendly conversation that has been appropriate to this forum for close to 20 years some of us have been here. Yes we are sensitive to having women participate - they have come and gone. Because the user IDs can be handles We don't in fact know the gender of members unless they post it or guess it because they use an obviously female name or male name. as a result we treat everyone equally.

We are sorry to lose members, member ship has been one of our concerns, however we cannot tailor the rules to suit everyone.

This part is my opinion. Humor often pokes at stereotypes and exaggerates differences. It makes us laugh but it also makes us think about why things are different. Men and women are very different. There are often drastic ways we think differently. In other species (gorillas for example) males are dominant; in other species women are dominant and sometimes eat the males after reproduction (ugh). In the shopping meme it shows (perhaps unkindly to men) that men can be direct and insensitive to what goes on around them, while women are more observant and like to look around and soak up all there is. Its not bad or good.

Good bye.

Loring
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-14-2022, 11:20 AM.
        • Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

Ordered this lathe yesterday.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            Is the link correct? Did you order a mini metal lathe?
        • leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Ordered this lathe yesterday.
          What are you going to make? Looking forward to seeing what you create!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I did an oil change.... on my 29 gallon air compressor. I mention this as a PSA....

Folks, if you have oil lubricated air compressors, they need periodic oil changes. I honestly do not know the interval, but the oil in mine was getting visibly dark, so I figured it was time...

I need to do an oil change to the 8 gallon compressor next, and then I can take the waste oil in to be recycled...

Spent a little bit of time with shop cleanup. I need to purge a LOT of the old 4" DWV dust collection ducting and fittings.

Comment

• Black walnut
              Administrator
              • Aug 2015
              • BT3K

Yes, a metal lathe. Mostly to make specialized tooling for my cast bullet benchrest habit. Figured I would use a benchtop for a while before biting the bullet, or err pulling the trigger on a large one big enough for barrel work.

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                You just thought purchasing a BT was a slippery slope! Woodworking is like rapids, metalworking is like Niagara Falls!

• Black walnut

Black walnut
                commented
                Editing a comment
                I know you're right about that capncarl.
            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Work stuff for contact change over. LOTS of hussling for new clients sort of thing. Not going to dive into details.

My diaphragm for the regulator came in, dropped right into place as it should. Changed over the regulator / filters back to the Central Pnuematic. Goes up to pressure properly, and STOPS, the one from Amazon doesn't. Going to return the Amazon special. The Amazon special always has a high pitched whine, it is very slight, but it is there. AND it is VERY difficult to set to a pressure it will hold. Set it to 90psi and come back in an hour and it may be 80psi, it may be 100 which is where the compressor is regulated to...

Have a string of meetings set up for tomorrow requiring video, Need to pull the pedalboard off of my amp stack as it will be VERY visible....

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Got up, made coffee, shaved, Put on some comfy shorts and a nice shirt, logged in, tested my web cam, the USB bus does NOT like my webcam, looked for my smart phone holder for the tripod. Did 3, count them 3 video conferences. My USB setup is funny, so no shock the web cam isn't happy.

I have been in video conferences, and typing my fingers off since then.

I finally hit a slow spot and think the rush for the day is done. Going to spend some me time in the shop today. Doing some more cleanup and getting ready to knock out some quickie projects I can possibly sell on Etsy. I am thinking cedar roll up shower mats for campground / gym shower users... Coasters, and Trivets leap to mind as well.

I ordered a wood burning makers mark, a small one, 1x1, I wanted this one linked to my Youtube channel, so it says "HANDCRAFTED BY DAVES WORKSHOP". Unfortunately delivery date is April 1 - 18. Yay for decisiveness...

The design is the default one shown in the image.just with my text. I saw it, I liked it, my Amish guy wouldn't shrink all that well.... so I went with it.

The idea is, for big pieces, the Amish Heritage Workshop stamp will be used, but for small items that I am looking to sell as basically channel swag for my youtube stuff, I will use the Daves Workshop burner.

If the burner does work out well, I might just do the Amish Heritage one as a 2x2 and just leave blank space so it would really be 1x2. I wish they would give me a discount on the difference, but that isn't going to happen...

I'd be happier if there was a way to expedite this, but for $30.00 what do I expect?

Click image for larger version  Name:	81ATfigs6VL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	849266

NOW FOR THE ISSUE:

The reason I FINALLY opted for a burner instead of just a different stamp, or getting a smaller stamp, is that applying urethane or just about any oil based finish almsot instantly smudges the stamp ink, no matter how dry.

For those succesfully using ink stamps for makers mark. How are you applying protective finishes OVER the stamp?

UPDATE: I just got in from the shop. I got a bag of color change dessicant packets. Tiny funy things but LOTS of them on the cheap. Reloaded teh dessicant container that had gone pink. I need to recharge the OE stuff but it is not easy to do.

I had defrosted the extra Christmas turkey that was in the freezer and am smoking it right now...
                Last edited by dbhost; 03-16-2022, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Finished 4 Tiny Tables for the art gallery in Apalachicola. 3 pine tables are from auction wood I recently purchased, reclaimed from an old peanut warehouse and 1 Black Gum Tupelo from my stock. Many hours of hard work.

Comment

Working...