• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Re-reviewing my storage / stowage needs in regards to the miter saw bench. My slide / drawer design is pretty simple, slots .in the carcass, or more correctly adding strips space at allegely 3/4" to receive a wide base for the drawer to ride in those slots. Unfortunately I used ply that was more like 15/32" and the actual ply I am using is actual 3/4, so I have to sand down the mating surfaces to allow it to actually slide. Ooops...

Anyway, I am teetering between going ahead with the 4 remaining drawers and building 2 deep drawers instead so I can house the forstner bits more easily.

I did break out the belt sander and a 40 grit belt to blast off the top layer of veneer on the plywood base for the drawer within fthe first 1" so I have not disturbed the material the sides or back will mount to. The bases now slide easily in the slots.

Measured what is going in the drawers, and the drawers themselves. I either end up with 2 9" deep drawers, or 4 3.75" drawers, which would preclude me from throwing things like the table saw accessories, and the forstner bit set boxes in there, which was sort of the purpose of these drawers in the first place, so 2 big ones it is...

My belt sanders dust bag is missing, and I was being too lazy to hook up to a shop vac. Don't do that with a top dumping belt sander as it literally blasted my safety glasses off my face when using it... I'm fine but lesson learned.

On my next break, back to the shop to cut the drawer fronts, sides, and backs from whatever material presents itself sufficiently...
    Last edited by dbhost; 02-16-2022, 10:41 AM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• nicer20
      Established Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Dublin, CA
      • BT3100

Here is the Kitchen Rollout I built and installed over the weekend. This cabinet between the Fridge and the Gas Stove is narrow and deep (24"). Because of this inconvenient geometry it was being used to store mostly unused items. The prime space near the gas stove where she spends most of her time in kitchen was thus unused.

Happy Wife Happy Life !!
      Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife thinks that big door on her stove is for large pots and pans storage
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

All day yesterday hangin with the concrete crew paving the carport on my shop

oh well, for some reason it posts the photo on its side! As soon as I saw this I had to run out io the shop to see if all of my tools had piled up against the front wall!

image widget

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Yesterday, Friday Feb 18, Went to HF for some stuff, Felt fine. IN the last 4 - 5 years, I just have not had the appetite that I had when I was very active, even though now I still help with volunteer building of churches and etc. Friday evening I had a double portion of LOML's Alfredo chicken. Got sick as a mule simply because I over ate and ate too much desert (cookies). Also in the last few years, I have had an aversion to a tad over eating of sweets.

I had a full day planned for today, but the 24 hour virus hit hard. In all my years, I haven't had a 24 hour virus last longer than 12 hours at the most (well except when I was less than 7 or 8) but this one is going strong.

Nothing to brag about today, only complain about!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Spent some time making dust, but PVC dust. Sized down the pipe for the flip table for my flip top tool stand. Epoxied in the bolts to the sander side of things and may need to re-thread one of hte bolts as I boggered it all up with epoxy. Wish I had some acetone but nope...

So progress on flip top stand #2 being made at least.

Played around with some scrap foam board, canvas and TB2. Dilluted the TB2 at a ratio of 2 to 1 which is what I think is right, and laid in the first side of the PMF. FWIW, IF this actually works out, this will likely end up being the box / cabinet door as it is the correct size...

This would have been a LOT easier if the largest not rifle size Pelican gear box was about 4" longer...

Spent some time, well, trying to untangle involvements with some toxic people in our lives. We have an extended family member that has been taking advantage of me and my good will for way too long, and he went a bit too far. Not doing anything drastic, but we are going no contact with this person. He can pay his own bills now.

Trying to figure out a better way to store the new folding roller stands. Have it figured out more or less, but need to free up some still on the ceiling bicycle hooks and a hunk of 2x4...
          Last edited by dbhost; 02-19-2022, 11:13 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Working on repairing an old broken windchime.
            Always challenging to figure out how to assemble these things, they are so floppy.
            Saving the pipe chimes and the old clanger and weight. The old chassis was rotted away.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2200857.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.0 KB ID:	848603 Click image for larger version  Name:	P2200859.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	848604 Click image for larger version  Name:	P2200858.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	848605
            Click image for larger version

Name:	P2200862.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	848608
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-20-2022, 04:24 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Loring, I am facing the same thing. We have had ours about 35 years, used it in Japan and brought it back. My one issue is where to find the right kind of string/ thread that is small yet long lasting and weather proof. What kind did you use, or where did you buy yours?

Oh, it looks like you used wire?
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hank, nylon coated stainless steel wire. Hobby Lobby I think has them 10 or 20 pound rated, pretty thin in colors this one green.
                for higher rated 30 or 50 pound, fishing tackle like Academy hive coated wire leader material very similar.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	wire nylon coated.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	848615

I like to use crimps because the steel wire is too stiff to tie knots.
                I also confess to having used 20-25 pound monofilament to suspend bird feeders and yard mobiles, wind chimes etc.
                I use the wire where it goes through holes bearing weight and the mono where it goes over rounded hooks and supports and wont get cut by continuous motion.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-21-2022, 02:52 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• duramen
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2022

How do you polish and/or finish the original tubes for the windchimes?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    LCHIEN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They were from the original. they appear to be some kind of chrome plated steel.
                • dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Gee, thanks. Remind me of another refinishing project that needs to get done. I've got a chime made with Rosewood and the tubes are painted in an oil rubbed bronze finish.

The rosewood disk is more or less falling apart. Not sure what to replace it with. Any suggestions? The color would be way off but I have a good amount of just the right sized walnut....

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Gee, thanks. Remind me of another refinishing project that needs to get done. I've got a chime made with Rosewood and the tubes are painted in an oil rubbed bronze finish.

The rosewood disk is more or less falling apart. Not sure what to replace it with. Any suggestions? The color would be way off but I have a good amount of just the right sized walnut....
                    I repaired a smaller one with unfinished cedar quite a few years back.
                    Finished woods in rain and weather and the UV of sunlight constant exposure the finish fails in a year or two and has to be redone or the wood rots away
                    I just use unfinished cedar which is naturally weather and rot resistant and it lasts for 10-15 years.
                    The original windchime was finished in something but only took three years to totally rot away even though I refinished it once. This is the one I repaired several years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2200870.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	848618
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-20-2022, 12:36 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Spent time working on the flip top cabinets sandwich layer. Epoxied in the bolts for the sander, let the epoxy cure, sanded it smooth, sized the sandwich middle pieces out of scrap 3/4" plywood, and using a square to insure the PVC bushing as it were is nice and straight, mounted up glued and clamped the sandwich pieces. Tomorrow the scroll saw comes off the shelf, and gets removed from the mount boar, which in turn gets glued up to the sandwich. I have less than 1/16 overhang and will easily knock that off with the sander once the glue up is complete.

Plan for tomorrow is size the bottom plate, locate and drill pivot axle holes in side pieces. Drill, glue, and dowel the angle braces to the sides, let the glue set.

Tuesday Drill glue and dowel the base to the sides. Let that set.

Wednesday I don't have scrap big enough to fully cross the sides, so to keep height the same, blocks for the casters will be glued on, probably pinned just to keep them from moving while the glue sets. And hopefully paint.

Thursday. Install casters, install sandwich plate / axle / washers and stop nuts. Locate points for stop pins and drill. Install machines, set basket in pegboard insert and populate. Roll into position because it's a done deal.

Oh and somewhere in here, sand and repaint belt guard on the drill press.

Oh it should be noted I used up the last dregs of the Gorilla Wood Glue. and have set a mental remidner to NEVER use that stuff again. I am sure it bonds well and all, but it is a pain to apply, so thick that it feels like spreading wallboard mud on your workpiece...

I thoroughly washed the bottle and transferred some TB2 into it. So if you see pics iof projects in the future with a GG woodglue bottle just know that is NOT what I am using!
                      Last edited by dbhost; 02-20-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

There is a much better use for recycled plastic bottles!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6B10818F-21F8-486C-A9DD-D15D1EC3F7A9.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	848629

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

top / scroll saw layer of the sandwich is on in clamps, Realized I sized that one a bit large so will need to flush trim once it comes out of clamps. Need to mark my axle holes in the sides and drill my centers.

Pretty sure I didn't mention it, but I spent some time last week with Sketchup trying to work out the whole idea of a 10x20 shed, and hard pass. I would be hard pressed to get everything in there and walk around let alone work in there... And that would be making sure the air compressor and dust collector live outside under a short roof. So hard pass..

12x16 works, but would be snug.

12x20 definately works, but would never pass HOA...

So I am thinking I keep seeing FB Marketplace ads for 8x20 plastic sheds. Considering moving all the not shop stuff out into one of those and calling it good.
                          Last edited by dbhost; 02-21-2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Not a total reroute but simply connected the 5 in to the miter saw dust port drop.

drilled the sides of the flip stand for the axle, glued on the braces. Temporary screws to hold it. I need 3/8 hardwood dowel stock... and more paint.

Oh, my camera lens is clean. Since the LED conversion, those things are so bright they "fuzz out" shop pics really badly. I am half tempted to take a tube loose just to get some pics in...

The reconfigured branch wye from the table saw / main overhead. Yeah the turn is a bit fast, but it was what I had material to do...

I had no more 5" adjustable elbows, so I reduced just before the 2 4" DWV 45s and went down the wall to the miter saw cabinet.

So the dust collection system, you may notice all of my metal joints, and SOME of my plastic joints are pated, some plastic joints are not. The untaped joints are held together and sealed with copious amounts of clear silicone caulk.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by dbhost; 02-22-2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...