• Show
Clear All
  • furthermore
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2020
    • North Yarmouth, ME
    • Ryobi BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN

The auxiliary table/router table is only locked at one end... the lever at the front. THis allows the rear to move somewhat which makes the routed grooves wander a bit if you are using the BT3 rip fence as a router guide fence. The BT3 router kit sold by ryobi has a locking bracket and knob to lock the rear of that table to the rear fence. Parts 13,4, and 14 below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	router table clamp.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	847760
    I had read about that in the FAQ! Thankfully the router kit I snagged off eBay was fully complete and I've got the locker plate. My fiancee came home today from picking up her wedding dress and she said that it could use one more notch worth of adjustment so maybe I'll try extra hard to get that one straight

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Chinatown for some Chinese food to go. Noodles, dumplings, wonton soup and a few other things.

Warmed up to 61 and was sunny, good enough to paint and complete my pinewood derby cars, grand-dad version. Did the wheels and tuneup. Is Moly Disulfide a better dry lube than graphite? A bottle arrived today, and put it on the wheels. Had a few unexpected problems I ironed out but it took longer than expected. More Pictures in my Pinewood Derby 2022 thread.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240765.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	847779 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240769.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	847780

Helped the spousal unit move the freeze protected potted plants back into position or remove the insulation boxes we put around them.

Watched some more tennis.
      Attached Files
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Saturday night we had about 4" of snow and a high of 10 degrees Sunday. In the morning I went out and cleared the driveway and sidewalks. The neighbors were on vacation last week and return tonight so I cleared their driveway and sidewalk on took their garbage and recycling out to the curb.

We got another few inches last night so I get to do it all again this morning.

I finally installed the garage heater that's been sitting in a box since before Christmas and got the final Christmas decorations put away.
        Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I don't have anything left alive after last winter that is frost sensitive so no need to cover / take indoors. Sadly I lost a prickly pear cactus my Father In Law gave us years ago in the big freeze last year. Only so much covering one up will do...

It's been warmer, in the 50s, but raining, and raining, and raining... Kind of hard to get motivated.

I had 2 nights last week where the overnight lows were below freezing, so I left the radiator on low in the shop since the water softener tank / valves and the only exposed valves where it CAN easily get frozen are exposed. Nothing here is made for cold weather you know...

Anyway, that kept the shop in the mid 60s pretty much all the time, so I was happy with that.

I need to cut the base / platform for the flip top stands but I am at a standstill decision wise.

I want to eventaully replace my Sunhill 6-1/8" jointer with a Wahuda 10", but that is money I do not have. The Wahuda is obviously bigger than the Sunhill, and I would need to build the flip top stand wider to accomodate that. I am consdiering IF I should build it for the jointer I want to go with eventually, or just build a new stand when I get to that point...

I will likely finish building sized for the Sunhill and build a new one when I can afford the Wahuda....
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I wore safety glasses and a mask, but even at that, just a public service announcement.

Do NOT sand PVC pipe indoors, with a belt sander without hooking same said belt sander up to the dust collector, or at the very least keep the dust bag on it!

I am pretty sure it looked like one of those diesels rolling coal!
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Other than busy w my job. Nada, nothing, bucks, diddly squat.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Fun, but expensive day today. Late yesterday, I discovered the garage door opener would not lift the door on its own. Displayed some error codes on the panel and a message that force was exceeded. Opening the door by hand with the opener disconnected was extremely difficult. No apparent binding, just very heavy as compared to the past. Normally, this is a broken balance spring indication, except there are no coil springs. I've installed a double garage door and replaced springs on them in the past, but was at a loss on this one. Since the chill factor is near or below zero here, I called a local overhead door shop to come out and look at it. The tech, who was nearly my age, immediately diagnosed a broken spring, but where are the springs? Education time. This mechanism had torsion bars inside a transverse tube for the balancing function! And one had broken. The tech. asked if this was a builder install, which it was (i.e. cheapo). Anyway, an hour and $400 later, we now have a balance mechanism that has a traditional external spring. $400 might sound pricey, but it would have taken me all day to get replacement parts and remove/replace the balance system in the freezing cold, not to mention how to dispose of the old parts. And I had a granddaughter to pick up from high school and take to her travel volleyball practice in the afternoon.

I did get to work on the living room table a bit.
                Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-26-2022, 09:36 PM.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So it freed you up time to work on your table?

Just add that $400 to the perceived value of the table.
              • dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Errands after work. Managed to get to the BORG. Got a little bit of Titebond 2.

Swapped around the nuts for the jointer. The originals are boogered.

Not sure about nationwide, but at my local Home Depot, 16oz Titebond 2 is a few pennies under $9.00, a gallon is just a few pennies under $19.00, and I will go through at least 3 quarts before it gets too old, so money wise this makes sense..

I will be shifting gears back to working the camper build, that is what they call Poor Mans Fiberglass, which is basically watered down Titebond 2 as a resin over canvas, over an XPS foam core. (Pink hard foam insulation). I am going to go through at least 5 gallons of this...
                Last edited by dbhost; 01-26-2022, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                  Fun, but expensive day today. Late yesterday, I discovered the garage door opener would not lift the door on its own. Displayed some error codes on the panel and a message that force was exceeded. Opening the door by hand with the opener disconnected was extremely difficult. No apparent binding, just very heavy as compared to the past. Normally, this is a broken balance spring indication, except there are no coil springs. I've installed a double garage door and replaced springs on them in the past, but was at a loss on this one. Since the chill factor is near or below zero here, I called a local overhead door shop to come out and look at it. The tech, who was nearly my age, immediately diagnosed a broken spring, but where are the springs? Education time. This mechanism had torsion bars inside a transverse tube for the balancing function! And one had broken. The tech. asked if this was a builder install, which it was (i.e. cheapo). Anyway, an hour and $400 later, we now have a balance mechanism that has a traditional external spring. $400 might sound pricey, but it would have taken me all day to get replacement parts and remove/replace the balance system in the freezing cold, not to mention how to dispose of the old parts. And I had a granddaughter to pick up from high school and take to her travel volleyball practice in the afternoon.

I did get to work on the living room table a bit.
                  I have always been told that the spring for the garage door opener inside the transverse tube above the door, is highly dangerous for amateurs to open/fix etc. I would think the $400 well spent.

Did you get to watch him replace the spring? Did it look like a complex or tedious task? Always wondered how much of that old caution was exaggerated.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    LCHIEN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's highly dangerous for professionals, too. Just that they should know how to do it safely and have the experience and correct tools to lessen the chance of injury or accident.
                • Jim Frye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Maumee, OH, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by radhak

I have always been told that the spring for the garage door opener inside the transverse tube above the door, is highly dangerous for amateurs to open/fix etc. I would think the $400 well spent.

Did you get to watch him replace the spring? Did it look like a complex or tedious task? Always wondered how much of that old caution was exaggerated.
                  No. but he did disconnect the entire mechanism from the door and removed the assembly in one piece and put it up on the truck's roof rack. The mechanism was attached to each end at the tracks and with a wall bracket in the center. My experience is with the external spring systems, so the fact that I knew nothing about this internal spring system would have likely been problematic. The fact that it took him less than an hour to actually remove the old balance system, install the new one, and adjust it tells me it wasn't that complicated for an experienced person. He had the knowledge, tools, and parts when he showed up.

I was always told the external garage door springs were lethal, so when I installed my first double garage door on a garage I built back in the '70s, I learned it wasn't if you knew what you were doing and had the right tools. It actually was quite easy.
                  Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-27-2022, 11:02 PM.
                  Jim Frye
                  The Nut in the Cellar.
                  ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Had a rough day components wise. Went ahead and ordered some 3/8" MPT x 1/2" push to connect fittings to remove restriction in the compressed air system, Except both the 3/8 MPT and the 1/4 MPT sizes are BOTH restricted by a funky hex, well, baffle. Pretty sure it is 1/4" orafice

Managed to successfully drill out 1 of 5 of the fittings to 3/8 without a leak. The other 4 once I went through the center, I went right into the spring or seal and wham dead fitting. So I am partially done, but need more fittings to actually get it done.

Retrofitted the outlet blocks with the 3/8 MPT Milton couplers, leak testted and found the connection between the push to connect fittings and the bushings was leaking. Disassembled and got generous with the teflon tape until the leaks stopped. Same with the 1/4" ball valves.

3/8" MPT ball valves should be arriving tomorrow, but I wanted the leaks stopped TODAY.

Oh well...

Worked on the candle stand some. Mostly just giving it another coat of stain hoping it will darken up a tad more so I can urethane this thing...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Wasted more time unsuccessfully upgrading the 12V B&D impact driver to Lithiums. Thread here https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...s-broken-stuff Going to give up.

And spent some time making a box to enclose some insulation around the exposed antisiphon valves. I've already lost two of them to freezing and a valve - costing me trouble and about $30 of parts each time. I had anti siphon valves on each sprinkler control but the guy who upgraded my sprinkler said I needed this for code and now its very susceptible to freezing. I have learned to drain and protect the antisiphon valve mechanism but last year This ball valve froze and split - from the water that was trapped in the ball when it was shut off. I really don't know how to shut off the valve without leaving water in the ball. Sheesh. If I could drain the water out of the valve I would not need this valve.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310818.JPG Views:	0 Size:	165.5 KB ID:	847972
                      Will go out and finish the box tonight and insulate tomorrow. I have some heater tape that might work well inside the box but I will have to run a long extension cord.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-05-2022, 04:57 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                        commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I remember when they brought those things out as code here in TX. It was in the mid 90s. My house predates them and has the original hose bibs so no requirement to change out with anti siphon bibs. HOWEVER they require the kind that screw on to the hose bib and have a set screw. The only plumbing I lost last winter with the freeze was the anti siphon valves. Because I took them off to prevent them from freezing and lost them...

• capncarl
                        capncarl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sprinkler contractor = contractor grade installation and contractor grade materials! I’ve been dealing with their types all my working life. At this time if I was an actor in a western movie I would snarl and spit a great big chaw on someone’s boot! Sprinkler systems need a low point drain. Contractors seldom if ever go to the trouble to install low point drainage, thus the owner has a sprinkler system that is subject to freeze and burst exposed piping. It is not a lot of trouble to install your own low point drain. Even in South Georgia freezing is a minor problem, especially since the contractors here are prone to install all of the valves above ground!

Installation of a low point drain requires digging a hole about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and installing a drain valve in the appropriate pipe. That will allow you to drain water out of your piping for the winter. If you have a sloped yard it gets easier!
                    • dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

So I pulled the Rigid sander down, did my measurements, no problem more or less. Definately going with epoxy this time though to fill the bolt head holes, or grab some carriage bolts to keep the dumb bolt heads from spinning.

Got my measurements off of the sander and confirmed I can make the 2nd flip top stand using the same exact measurements as the first.

Need to get to Home Depot still but discovered I was exposed to someone with 'rona day before yesterday, so laying low until the end of hte week at least, wife is feeling kind of flu like so taking care of her.

Made her Caldo de Pollo yesterday, which she is already sick and tired of...

Not sure how we managed this, but I am making Gyros on Chinese new year. Ooops...

Finished the leg and top up on the candle stand. Need to get after the legs a touch to even them up. Just a few seconds with the RO sander and some 40 grit to level off the 2 legs that are too long. Once done, clean all the dust off of it, one final coat of stain, and then poly once that sets.

Really hoping to have the candle stand done by V day...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Protected stuff from freezing

I have a new 40 volt cordless snowblower and I've been waiting since the middle of November to give it a workout. They're predicting 12 - 20 inches of snow over the next few days with 40 mph winds. I know....I'm crazy, but it will be the first chance to see if Ryobi has the specs. right.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Candle stand was placed in the corner of the living room. to finish curing the stain because, well the shop was cold and humid.

My lovely bride noticed it, and is now using it.

So much for a V day surprise...

Went to turn the heater on for the shop, just on low to keep the finishes / glue from freezing, and the compressor kicked on. Made up a spray bottle of soapy water, and sprayed all my connections down. One of the new dump valves was leaking. Took it apart and inspected. Some sort of debris in the threads. Cleaned it up, gave it probably way too much pipe tape, and tested. Looks good, leaving it pressurized for now, but I do not see any leaks presently....

The point of this excersize is / was after all, making my air system as leak free as physically possible.
                          Last edited by dbhost; 02-03-2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...