• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pinewood Derby 2022

I have two grandsons and both are entering.

Polishing wheel axles.

unpolished typical axle from the kit on the left, after deburring and polishing through 5 grits on the right

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220115_0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	847454
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-16-2022, 03:03 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Precision tilt jig for cambering PWD wheels 2.5°

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...ision-tilt-jig

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=847443.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	847456
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

progress

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140644.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	847474 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140645.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	847475 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140646.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	847481

Name:	P1140650.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	847480 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140652.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	847477 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140657.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	847476

Name:	P1140658.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	847473
      Attached Files
      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Ah, the memories. I remember polishing the axles and then burnishing the wheels and axles with graphite using a drill with the rubber disk sander minus the sand paper to spin the wheels. Didn't know anything about the camber back then and the axles were nails. Back then the CW was nose weight bias. I was the age of your grandsons then. The competition was well established 65 years ago and it's still going.
        Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-16-2022, 06:44 PM.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Love the progress!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Younger Grandson's car. Something he built of Lego he wanted to transfer the design to the car.
            Made a bunch of scaled precision LEGO shaped pieces

Click image for larger version  Name:	zusvr.png Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	847592

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150679.JPG Views:	0 Size:	240.2 KB ID:	847589

Some on-the-fly changes were made.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1180694.JPG Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	847590

Get up close to the allowed 5 Oz. three half oz fishing weights, a 1/4 oz weight and a #6 x 1/2" screw. (0.03 oz)

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190704.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	847587

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190701.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	847588

Some wheel lube is still needed and testing. Got out the old test track and a previous car for comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190706.JPG Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	847596

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190705.JPG Views:	0 Size:	176.5 KB ID:	847594
            Attached Files
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-04-2022, 04:21 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Had to slot some nail heads so we could position/rotate the axles for best fine adjustment of steering.

I'm not too steady free-handing a Dremel and a nail for this so I came up with the following setup.

If you didn't know the Dremel tools have a threaded nose to mount it to things (it is under a removable trim ring) allowing me to fix the disc in a fixed location.

I used the drill press to precisely hold and lower the nail head with steady orientation onto a spinning cutting abrasive wheel (Don't turn on the drill press!!!!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190707.JPG Views:	0 Size:	184.9 KB ID:	847634
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190709.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	847632

Voila!

Name:	P1190710crop.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	847677

Tooting my own horn, I felt pretty clever. Worked like a champ!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-20-2022, 07:58 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Got everything pretty much completed, painted, weight corrected and tested and tuned a bit.

Avoided last year's mini disasters by doing in the correct order... paint, drill axel holes, weigh instead of painting last which threw off the weight and lost the precision axle holes. But it required more back and forth coordination from the hardware teams and the painting/decoration teams.

Those of you from Texas will know Whataburger. This is the Whatacar. The one on the right is Tiger Attack which is LEGO styled but OMG, no pips allowed he said. (which saved a lot of work!).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_27345.jpg Views:	5 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	847672

Here's a gallery of pictures of the completed cars and boys.

And a short (9 seconds) video clip P1200720.AVI you will have to download to see.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-20-2022, 07:56 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Someone did an excellent job with the Whataburger scheme! (BTW - Whataburgers are across LA into MS, AL in larger city areas and even one opening soon in the shopping center near me in Southaven MS (Memphis area, which already has a couple.)

"no pips allowed he said."
                  I'm not sure what does that means?
                  Last edited by leehljp; 01-20-2022, 09:15 PM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Love both of them. I am sure those boys will cherish the memory for the rest of their lives.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Someone did an excellent job with the Whataburger scheme! (BTW - Whataburgers are across LA into MS, AL in larger city areas and even one opening soon in the shopping center near me in Southaven MS (Memphis area, which already has a couple.)

I'm not sure what does that means?
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=847592&d=1642627063&type=small.png Views:	0 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	847682

You know LEGO has the pips on top that make them interlock. I'd call them with the "T*t" word but that is perhaps politically incorrect.

He didn't want the pips showing.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Black walnut
                        Administrator
                        • Aug 2015
                        • BT3K

What do you mean you don't have screw slot files! Great looking cars. Hope they do well. I have had dremels for decades and never knew about the threads, thanks for the educational tip. Oh yeah I don't have screw slot files either.
                        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

I like how you rigged up your own milling machine, creative. Agree, the boys will remember this forever.
                          Just a thought, do they allow the participants to 3D print the bodywork yet?
                          Some supply stores (like Hf) sell inexpensive machine vices with indexable x and y axis that are real handy for small shop milling jobs like this and making slots in metal and wood. Just Chuck up small cutter in the drill chuck and you are in business.
                          good work

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black walnut
                            What do you mean you don't have screw slot files! Great looking cars. Hope they do well. I have had dremels for decades and never knew about the threads, thanks for the educational tip. Oh yeah I don't have screw slot files either.
                            The threads on the front of the Dremel tool is a 3/4"-10TPI, hidden under a trim ring; I just used a normal metal working tap like the one below. On the Dremel tool its used for the router-like base attachment.
                            21/32" recommended drill is what I just looked up; probably 5/8" is fine for wood-I think that is what I used since I don't think I have a 21/32 drill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I wasn't sure if you were pulling my leg about screw slot files. I had to look them up. They do exist.

I think my idea worked pretty well.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-04-2022, 04:25 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I am hoping for a super fast car. In consult with the older grandson, we did all the legal things (except buying the $30 lathed wheels) we could DIY that made engineering sense to me (explaining why it worked to him so he could defend it if needed). Some father-son team has won the last two years with the kids car and they will be back this year. They are the car to beat.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...