• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you have other hobbies?

For me, woodworking isn't the only hobby. It is however my main hobby...

My other side interests are...
    #1. Tech. It's more my job than hobby though.
    #2. Music. I play electric bass, and am trying to pick up 6 string rythmn guitar. Right now can only play some very simple 3 chord songs like Take It Easy etc... but it's fun. Prior to Hurricane Harvey and everything falling apart with the mass of funerals, I was in a small classic rock / 70s-90s country band that did private parties and occasional dive bar gigs. We lost 2 of the 4 members in 2018, and just never bounced back...I should dust off my #1 bass, I own 6 of them, and start playing again...
    #3. Outdoorsmanship. I.E. Camping, Hunting, Fishing Not so much for the harvesting or catching, but just being outdoors. When I was in my teens, my uncle would take me hunting and we would fill a couple of deep freezes with Vennison and Elk. Every spring we would fish for Rainbow trout. Even if we catch nothing we built wonderful memories. I am equipped for camping for everything ranging from ultralight backpacking that honestly I will likely never do again due to age, and wife, to what I would consider a folding Taj Majal "Glamping" with hot showers, flushing toilet, and a king size double high air bed in a huge instant up tent, and covered / mosquito free kitchen / dining area...
    #4. Related to the Woodworking / DIY and Outdoorsmanship hobbies, I like building / customizing 4x4s and off road vehicles. Over the years I have built 4 Baja bugs, 2 Sand Rails, 3 Jeeps, an International Harvester Scout 2, and my F150 Supercab 4x4 that is in desperate need of a new engine due to Fords engineering flub that is the variable cam timing / oiling system on the 5.4L 3V Triton V8...
    #5. Youtube / videography / art. I volunteer at my local church for videography services, and do my own youtube thing. Quality is a lot different between the volunteer stuff and Youtube. I am wearing too many hats on Youtube, director, videographer, on screen talent, writer etc... But I have fun...

So what are you guys doing other than woodworking and talking about it online?

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Woodworking isn't my main hobby. I'm a serial home remodeler/restorer and woodworking is just a part of that continuing process.

I used to be an avid bicycle rider, but it has tapered off. Weather in MN isn't conducive to being on a bike about 4-5 months of the year. I absolutely hate riding a stationary bike of any kind and I've tried all of them.

A fair amount of time is taken on my part of managing this site as well. That tends to go in long periods of little to do and short bursts of significant work.

Whatever time isn't taken up by the above, is spent reading. We have 6000+ books in the house not counting duplicates and I've read nearly all of them. My wife and I have probably 2-300 each that only one of us has read.
    Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I like to deer hunt, when it cools off some. It doesn’t look like it is going to get much cooler till after Christmas, and that leaves only 2 weeks in season. So I’m hunting right now in 75ish temperature. This one has come out twice but I’m waiting on his sister.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Photography, traveling, electronics, fishing, Quora.

Traveling has taken a big hit from Pandemic

Used to play tennis regularly until I tore up my rotator cuff. I was ready to make a comeback but then Pandemic hit and ended that.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Photography, traveling, electronics, fishing, Quora.

Traveling has taken a big hit from Pandemic

Used to play tennis regularly until I tore up my rotator cuff. I was ready to make a comeback but then Pandemic hit and ended that.
            Osteoarthritis of the lower back is why I can't do backpacking, even ultra light, any more... I get it. Sucks...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

1. Trouble shooting & repairing mechanical and/Or electrical issues on a variety of items - small motors, engines, electronics, computer OS, bicycles, cars etc;
              2. I go into modes of reading then off for a year or so, then back into it.
              3. RC planes and cars, gas or electric
              4. Woodworking - both flat work and Lathe
              5. LISTENING to classical music on Stereo/Vinyl records. I don't have a bit of musical talent but I love listening to classical and old rock and roll music, some country.

I never had a desire to learn to use a milling machine or metal lathe, but lately I have had an inkling of a desire to give it a try; that and CAD-CNC work.
              Last edited by leehljp; 12-18-2021, 09:01 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black walnut
                Administrator
                • Aug 2015
                • BT3K

Nearly all of my woodworking lately has been utilitarian in nature and not really worth sharing.

I also enjoy cycling, not as much as I did several years ago but trying to get back into the swing of it for health reasons. This includes bike maintenance from minor to major including wheel building.

I enjoy many facets of shooting, reloading, and hobby gunsmithing. I cast my own bullets and compete in Cast Bullet Benchrest through the Cast Bullet Association of which I am on the BOD as an area director for the Pacific Northwest.

I enjoy hunting for big game and ducks.

I am a hobby chicken farmer for eggs and meat. My youngest raises swine for 4H and a couple for us at the same time. With help from LOML and Thomas we process ours and the other that we raise to sell to family. Butcher, cut and wrap. grind our own sausage, cure our own bacon and ham. I also like to brine my own corned beef and Canadian bacon.

Fishing is also a hobby. Fly fishing for trout and sometimes bass. Lure fishing for warm water species bass and walleye. Oh yeah I tie my own flies, formerly did that professionally on a small scale. My flies have been fished from the chalk streams of Great Briton to the bonefish flats of Christmas Island and plenty of places in between, by others not me.

The common thread is that I have learned to do for myself. If I want something I learn to build it or do it. Too many hobbies, not enough free time to do them all.
                just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• MarkHoy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2021

Home remodeling is what got me many of my current tools. Last time I really built anything out of wood was way, way back in high school. Hope to change that this year.

Enjoy building and using 3d printers. So I understand electronics, programming and some CAD modeling. Built a Tiny-M printer about a year ago and have been using it ever since.
                  This is my particular spin on the Tiny-M build, a Voron V0 using Mitsumi 2020 Extrusions - GitHub - mark-hoy/tiny-m-build: This is my particular spin on the Tiny-M build, a Voron V0 using Mitsumi ...

Will attempt build a Kinetic Sand Art table using a 3d print X & Y carriage along with a strong magnet and a ball bearing. See Sisyphus for an idea of what I hope to build https://youtu.be/45g2SJkYX38

Also want to learn how to use a metal lathe and mill. :-)

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Woodworking is still my main hobby, but lately maintaining the darned Windows PC has been taking up more and more time. Actually, the PC, iPad, smart phones, and streaming TVs (4) seem to be consuming more and more maintenance time leaving less and less time for other things. I have taken up one new distraction from life. The electric riding lawn mower I purchased 40 months ago has become a new learning experience. Analyzing battery performance/cost has become a regular activity.
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was a cyclist before a woodworker and without a house to do endless DIY on, I've come back to that in the past few years. Almost all my miles this year have been on an indoor trainer. It's a shame really because the weather here is practically perfect but to ride outside you have to go out with a group around 5 or 5:30am to avoid the traffic so most of us--including me--opt to sleep in. My kids are old enough now, too, that if I do want to go out for a long ride (when we are stateside), I don't get the stinkeye from my wife that I left her to fend for herself.

I wouldn't say DIY is a hobby. It's just how I afford to cycle so I don't have to pay someone else to do something I can probably do at my house. I've recently started doing more auto maintenance like brake changes, but this car is pretty reliable and we don't drive much that I won't have to start that up until we're stateside again. My oil changes are free stateside.

​​​​​​​I also enjoy photography and electronics/home networking and am gravitating towards time lapse and star photography, but as I've researched more, don't want to deal with the high price tags. So I do spend a lot of time looking for workarounds to get "good enough" pictures with the equipment I've got rather than getting all the perfect equipment--probably like my early woodworking days.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Interesting, there's a pretty broad range of interests here among the membership.

Over the decades, I've had a fair assortment of hobbies and interests and most of them are short snatches of time and I drift back and forth with a few as time allows. At one time I was interested in flying, but as I grew up I found it way too expensive to pursue. Though I managed to get a few hours 'behind the stick', it all sort of stopped when I got married. I also used to hike and camp but worn-out knees sort of put a stop to that too. And back then when I had the time, I built a coupe of radios and I still hold an Amateur radio license, though living here in the city now, there's no room for an antenna and no time to spend hours a week on the radio 'working the world'. Likewise, my 95 Miata sits mostly in the garage these days.

When our son was a little guy, I took up HO model railroading and that pursuit lasted quit a few years. (I still have most of the models and rolling stock boxed away.)

My woodworking is mostly home oriented and some minor things for friends, and that of course is DIY. I used to paint (water-color and acrylics mostly), and I like to write. I'm a fairly avid reader and have a decent library (I've posted pictures of that in the past). Most of my reading is history both recent and the 1930's and 40's; and, I'm a huge Churchill fan, love military, aviation, and civil war history, and have a corner of the library dedicated to just that.

I also like photography, though not so much nature stuff as there simply isn't the time or travel. Like the origins of my photo interest, I take a lot of pictures in support of other interests and the stuff I write about. I still like to draw and I'm presently in the process of archiving some of the more interesting and fun stuff I've done in my past career. That of course involves photographing, scanning, retouching, and documention, almost a full time job.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Turaj
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                          • BT3000 (1998)

Was not sure if it should be included here or not (as it does not happen regularly) but then again my woodworking does not happen regularly either.

My other hobby is building 3D puzzles. Specifically Puzz3D versions of historic buildings. I have done about 20-25 of them including several cathedrals (St Peter's Basilica, Notre Dame, ..,) , towers (CN, Eifel, Empire State) and cities (New York, Venice). Hope to be working on San Francisco this Holiday: As they say in Comedy Channel: " Click image for larger version

Name:	Sydney Opera House 2.png
Views:	306
Size:	840.6 KB
ID:	846846 Click image for larger version

Name:	NYC - 1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	846847 Time Well Wasted".
                          Turaj (in Toronto)
                          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• radhak
                            radhak commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This is amazing stuff! Wow!
                        • Franco Lewis
                          Handtools only
                          • Dec 2021
                          • Sweden
                          • SawStop CTS

Originally posted by cwsmith
                          Interesting, there's a pretty broad range of interests here among the membership.

Over the decades, I've had a fair assortment of hobbies and interests and most of them are short snatches of time and I drift back and forth with a few as time allows. At one time I was interested in flying, but as I grew up I found it way too expensive to pursue. Though I managed to get a few hours 'behind the stick', it all sort of stopped when I got married. I also used to hike and camp but worn-out knees sort of put a stop to that too. And back then when I had the time, I built a coupe of radios and I still hold an Amateur radio license, though living here in the city now, there's no room for an antenna and no time to spend hours a week on the radio 'working the world'. Likewise, my 95 Miata sits mostly in the garage these days.

When our son was a little guy, I took up HO model railroading and that pursuit lasted quit a few years. (I still have most of the models and rolling stock boxed away.)

My woodworking is mostly home oriented and some minor things for friends, and that of course is DIY. I used to paint (water-color and acrylics mostly), and I like to write. I'm a fairly avid reader and have a decent library (I've posted pictures of that in the past). Most of my reading is history both recent and the 1930's and 40's; and, I'm a huge Churchill fan, love military, aviation, and civil war history, and have a corner of the library dedicated to just that.

I also like photography, though not so much nature stuff as there simply isn't the time or travel. Like the origins of my photo interest, I take a lot of pictures in support of other interests and the stuff I write about. I still like to draw and I'm presently in the process of archiving some of the more interesting and fun stuff I've done in my past career. That of course involves photographing, scanning, retouching, and documentation, almost a full time job. Also I am into health insurance and at the moment I am researching tax issues in the UK. Here is a really interesting article about that, in case you are concerned.

CWS

At the moment it is gardening. I found out that gardening is a great way to keep calm even under given pandemic circumstances. I used to meditate in the past but now switched to gardening.
                          UPD: recently I got several awesome pine trees for my garden. I hope that in a year I will manage to share their photos here
                          Last edited by Franco Lewis; 12-30-2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            LCHIEN commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Then in another year or two after that, you can show us the pinewood furniture you made! Talk about a slow hobby! :-)
                        • leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Franco Lewis
                          At the moment it is gardening. I found out that gardening is a great way to keep calm even under given pandemic circumstances. I used to meditate in the past but now switched to gardening.
                          Welcome Franco! Different things for different people. I see you have the SawStop. What have you made with it. Show us some of your work, if you don't mind.

Gardening - I grew up on a farm of about 400 acres. (Approximately 1.6 square kilometers) Gardening was work to me as a kid and teenager. My wife wants me to grow different things because I know how, but I tell her gardening is too much like farming - work!

Here in the USA, and I am sure to some in Europe, Bicycling is a fun time and recreational enjoyment as well as an exercise device, but when I moved to Japan and traveled in other parts of SE Asia, the bicycle was a form of transportation and not an enjoyment vehicle at all.

Seriously though, tell us about your saw and your impressions of it.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...