• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by leehljp
    Here in the USA, and I am sure to some in Europe, Bicycling is a fun time and recreational enjoyment as well as an exercise device, but when I moved to Japan and traveled in other parts of SE Asia, the bicycle was a form of transportation and not an enjoyment vehicle at all.
    Japan looks awesome to cycle around! One of my favorite shows is Cycle Around Japan on NHK where a cyclist explores a region of Japan over 3-4 days travelling about 300-400km. There's also a YouTuber I follow (from Sweden) who lives somewhere in Japan and shows off his rides. Japan is definitely on my cycling bucket list.

Now when my wife has to decide where her job will take us next, I also factor in the rideability of the city/country. I told her and my job that if she gets assigned to New Zealand, I'm quitting my job or taking a hiatus and just cycle touring the whole time we're there.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Japan looks awesome to cycle around! One of my favorite shows is Cycle Around Japan on NHK where a cyclist explores a region of Japan over 3-4 days travelling about 300-400km. There's also a YouTuber I follow (from Sweden) who lives somewhere in Japan and shows off his rides. Japan is definitely on my cycling bucket list.

Now when my wife has to decide where her job will take us next, I also factor in the rideability of the city/country. I told her and my job that if she gets assigned to New Zealand, I'm quitting my job or taking a hiatus and just cycle touring the whole time we're there.
      There are serious cyclists over there for sure, but the daily routine of riding the bike to & from school, train station, supermarket in all kinds of weather makes it looked down upon by the culture as a whole when it is used in conjunction with "attitude of enjoyment".
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, visitors can enjoy touring in Japan. For locals who commute by bike, touring for fun would be what they call a "busman's holiday."

Def: a busman's holiday

phrase of busman
        a vacation or form of recreation that involves doing the same thing that one does at work.
        "a fire crew's Christmas outing turned into a busman's holiday when their coach caught fire"
        Definitions from Oxford Languages

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        "when their coach caught fire"

I was thinking what a professional group of firefighters because they seemed to take it well that their coach (a person) caught fire, but then realized it meant their "bus".
    • daughterofgirl
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2021

At the age of 15, I started going to a music school and at some point, I even wanted to start my music career. But everything turned out differently - I have a synthesizer, a midi controller, and a couple of guitars (I need a drum system yet and I can put together a whole band). And I play them from time to time. I record music for myself (maybe for now). Lately, I have been playing the midi controller most often, I like its sound and that I can turn up some frequencies and change the sound radically just on the controller. I also love to draw. One day I had a nervous breakdown and my psychologist advised me to find a new hobby that would calm me down. Now I paint at least an hour a day every weekend. It doesn't matter what, I just transfer my experiences to the canvas. And a couple of years ago, woodworking was also added.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by daughterofgirl
        At the age of 15, I started going to a music school and at some point, I even wanted to start my music career. But everything turned out differently - I have a synthesizer, a midi controller, and a couple of guitars (I need a drum system yet and I can put together a whole band). And I play them from time to time. I record music for myself (maybe for now). Lately, I have been playing the midi controller most often, I like its sound and that I can turn up some frequencies and change the sound radically just on the controller. I also love to draw. One day I had a nervous breakdown and my psychologist advised me to find a new hobby that would calm me down. Now I paint at least an hour a day every weekend. It doesn't matter what, I just transfer my experiences to the canvas. And a couple of years ago, woodworking was also added.
        I get where you are coming from. For what it's worth, woodworking is something that helps me do away with stress, not add to it...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• furthermore
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2020
          • North Yarmouth, ME
          • Ryobi BT3K

Mopeds! I was (am?) in a moped club however since moving out to the country, I don't really have anyone local to ride with, so they've sorta just been collecting dust while I work on building out my shop space in my new house. We've been here just over a year and it's still a work in progress. I suspect it will be for a long time.

Other than DIY type stuff, home maintenance, etc. I enjoy cooking, BBQ, yoga, and playing music. Many lifetimes ago I was a club DJ, but that's a young person's game and I like to think I retired at the height of my career!

Comment

• nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

Basically doing things with my own hands has been a theme for me.

1. Electronics - building both digital and analog circuits has been a major hobby for me. Although with parts getting smaller and smaller and with too much integration increasing the complexity of soldering tiny things it has tapered off. Off late built a couple of Tube amps.
            2. Working on my cars - mostly maintaining it regularly and occasional fixes. But now my son has gotten into it and working on modifying his brand new civic so helping him with his adventure. I call it an adventure because I am not convinced he needs to tinker with his car that is brand new and under warranty
            3. Home repairs and remodeling - did flooring, backsplash tilling, plumbing, electrical. Currently working on building master bathroom and guest bathroom countertops using epoxy.
            4. Gardening - waiting for the growing season to ensue.
            5. Some other sporadic interests like making breads, cooking, reading. Admittedly reading has drastically dropped due to a bit of addiction to social media
            Attached Files

Comment

• Finnegan
              Handtools only
              • Mar 2022

Pilot by trade. Woodworking is my main hobby, or at least it's the one that takes up the most time. I have a cnc machine that keeps me pretty busy. I've got a couple of Indian bikes that work well as stress relief. Like dbhost, I'm a musician (although, with Covid, the venues are just now slowly starting up again.). Unlike dbhost, I'm a keyboard player and I have way too many instruments. Aaaaand just now realizing that my hobbies are really freaking expensive. :/

Comment

Working...