• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Writing Rocky Linux 8.5 iso image to a flash drive using Rufus. Going REALLY slow but meh... oh well...

I have a trio of old computers I am going to set up. A and B are physically identical 8 core AMD workstations, C is an old i5 intel based system. A and B are to be set up for a Kubermetes cluster, C is attached to a eSATA RAID enclosure. I am crash coursing on Kubermetes as I haven't done anything with it in the last 3 years and I have projects coming up that are using it...

And while that stuff is loading I am working on shop cleanup.

I have a set of LEGALLY refillable 1lb propane cylinders from Flame King. Tough little cookies to get, but I am trying to avoid lugging 20lb cylinders around. Except in the winter when heat is being used, I NEVER go through more than 3lbs of propane per week, even including the hot water shower for extended camping trips... So I am planning on shooting a how to use this thing video shortly. WIth the 1lb refillables, I can leave the 20lb cylinder, distribution tree, hoses etc... at home, AND not create hazardous waste that is nearly impossible to recycle... I don't bring it up here, but if you see my camping forum posts you will see how in depth I go on this issue. I have worked with DOT to determine safe ways to deal with propane as part of my prior job... (As part of a functional lead duties, I was also on the safety team and had to do off the job safety presentations frequently... ).

I still need to get the car to Wal Mart and get the front tires changed out, and then, assuming no work issues getting in the way, we are ready to go!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

A couple of weeks ago I used my new truck with a trailer for the first time after dark and discovered that while the signal and brake lights worked during the day, there were no running lights or tail lights when the truck's lights were on. I drove home with the hazard lights active. The new truck was not trailer ready and the Nissan dealer wouldn't get the necessary parts, so I had the hitch and wiring installed by a third party. It turns out there is a connecter in the back next to the tail light to plug in the trailer lighting. The part they missed was a set of relays that needed to be installed in the cab to keep everything working when the lights are on. They also just zip tied the four pin connector to the hitch frame so I had to crawl under the truck to plug in the trailer lights.

I received the cable harness and relays and got them installed installed late last week and today finished up by installing a proper steel mounted four pin receptacle next to the hitch receiver where it should be. The receptacle also has a spring loaded weather cover. All was very easy except for the part about replacing the kick panel inside the truck. I spent three quarters of the time just trying to align and snap the plastic part into place. Lighting is now working as it should regardless of whether the truck's lights are on or off.
      Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

For some reason I can't explain, the top of my sheet goods rack sagged by nearly an inch over the 8' 6" span. Today I tore it apart and replaced it with steel racking from Menards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	849347

Since it is also set up with my Schmitt32 line boring jig, the top really does need to be flat so out with the old and in with the new. The steel rails on the new sheet goods rack are rated to 2000 pounds per shelf. The shelves are 96. 7/8"" wide so it takes some finesse to get a full sheet onto a shelf, and Melamine and MDF are a no go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	849348
        Chr's

Comment

• GrumpyDad
          GrumpyDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Strange to say but the festool device is now worth a smaller amount that the stored lumber, our topsy turvy world

• twistsol
          twistsol commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, when I was buying 22 sheets of cabinet grade plywood, I kind of skimmed over the terms and conditions clause that talked about "your immortal soul"
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

My contract is up so I am looking for a new job. My contract has had me away from hard core Linux administration in favor of deep in the weeds Azure dev ops. I decided i needed to stand up a RHEL 8, okay Rocky Linux 8 cluster for Kubermetes to insure I still had it in my fingers and head...

Realized what worked in CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 and earlier was no longer hardware compatible due to deprecated kernel modules A.K.A. drivers in the Windows world. Specifically for the onboard storage controller for one of my old systems. Well I had enough of a pile of parts laying around in closets I whipped together a new, very basic, but compatible and sufficient to run what I need system. Then realized this new system requires UEFI which required a couple of steps I am not super up to speed on... Yay me!

ANyway, installing Rocky Linux on it now, as soon as it is done, will patch it up to date, and the move the box over to my rack and slide it in place...

Been a while since I screwed together computer hardware from scratch, and even longer since I cannibalized old systems to make the new work. I hope I will be happy with the results...

I stil need to get an eSATA controller that will play nice with RHEL 8 / Rocky Linux. Might just dump the old eSATA controller and buy a USB RAID box...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• furthermore
          furthermore commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you like Rocky? I've been a Debian boy for a long time but I'm not married to it

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I *can* do Debian, but very few enterprises that pay decently use it, so I steer clear. However Ubuntu is Debian based so there is that... My bread and butter is Red Hat Enterprise Linux. After Red Hat bone headed CentOS, and instead of setting it out as an unsupported variant, it is the development branch for RHEL, if that is the case though, what is Fedora for right? So Rocky stepped in with the original team that did CentOS and basically replaced it. I like their tag line that they aim to be bug for bug compatible with the upstream. They are, including some VERY stupid removals of important storage drivers. I.E. I lost access to my eSATA storage controller.

So long winded explaination aside. For desktop I prefer Ubuntu, but for servers, I kind of have to go where the money is...
      • furthermore
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2020
        • North Yarmouth, ME
        • Ryobi BT3K

I've spent the last week sick, so not much happening in the shop, but last weekend I tuned up both of my BTs. Turns out my original BT had a ton of sawdust on top of the arbor panel and it wouldn't let me adjust the blade to a perfect 90! Fixed that, as well as calibrating and adjusting the 45 degree stops on both saws. Replaced the shims on BT#2 and got them lined up enough that I can smoothly slide the rip fence across both sets of rails. What a PITA it is replacing the shims! Hopefully I'll never need to do that particular bit of maintenance ever again!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Income Tax. Ugh.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Had to make the 8 hour, 400 mile round trip to Apalachicola Fla. to restock the gallery with Tiny Tables, Trees and Mushrooms. We went through Mexico Beach Fla., it is building back nicely but sadly it will never again be the old time Florida town on the beach again. On the roads home all of the pine forests are still broke down and strewn all over.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Woke up, did the email thing. Tried waking a stubborn wife up for Sunday services. Guess we are gonna stream the replay...

Fired up the BBQ grill, cut up marinated, skewered and grilled Turkish Taouk and I am probably misspelling that but it is all sorts of tasty... Currently using same coals for grilling burgers and brats.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                Had to make the 8 hour, 400 mile round trip to Apalachicola Fla. to restock the gallery with Tiny Tables, Trees and Mushrooms. We went through Mexico Beach Fla., it is building back nicely but sadly it will never again be the old time Florida town on the beach again. On the roads home all of the pine forests are still broke down and strewn all over.
                CapnCarl, is there ever any palm tree wood or logs available for purchase in the coastal area? Just curious. I would like some if I know where it is available and when we go back to Orlando to visit LOML's Sister.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                  capncarl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I swing through one or 2 small sawmills every trip and don’t think I’ve ever seen a palm on their grounds. I’ll talk to my neighbor this week to see if he has encountered any, he owns a tree service here, and I’ll also be going to one of the local nurseries soon, they always have palms, usually windmill palms. I’ll see if he has one that is damaged and couldn’t sell.

• dbhost

dbhost
                  commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not certain this is all palms, but at least with the Sago palm I cut out of my yard, the trunk was basically like a stiff sponge. It is not a woody tree in the slightest. I don't belive you can get usable lumber out of a palm tree...

• capncarl
                  capncarl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are correct, the Sago palm is a thorny sponge. I think it is the same species as corn.
              • dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

It's definately spring here in Texas, meaning it is going to be intolerable up in the attic before too long. I need to chuck the 4" DWV stuff up in the attic since I got no local takers for it...

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

My dad's 99th birthday is today. Yesterday the family got together and went out to lunch, toured a Parade of Homes $1.9 million dream home and then went to tour my daughter's much more modest new 1950's house and have pie and cheesecake.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8018.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	849617
                  Last edited by twistsol; 03-28-2022, 04:35 PM.
                  Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Spent some time forcing myself to use Sketchup Free online. I have NOT had good experiences with it up to now and stuck kind of stubbornly to the old Sketchup local installation from 2017. Well updates have been made to the online platform and while there is a slight learning curve of where did they move my cheese sort of thing, it isn't bad, and seems actually snappier than the local installation. Mostly because it now has the option to import existing models as components stripping out a LOT of file attributes etc... and thus making it a LOT easier to work with large models while not exhausting memory...

I digress though.

I cleaned up the concept sketchup of the BT3100 with just the regular rails and a shop made router table. Sorry for those that love the Ryobi router table accessory for the BT, but the offset center hole REALLY rubs me in an OCD way I wasn't aware was there... Just can't do it... I am sure it's great but, well, you know...

I modelled up a plan for a 2x4 based M&T workbench. Basically my existing bench dimensions but, wel, better construction...

And I threw together another concept sketchup for a 10x20 shed workshop. This time using hte shortened back to pretty much stock width + about 10", outfeed onto the workbench sideways and bench against the wall, and of course lose the Chicago Electric slider for either a fixed miter saw, or a front slide like a Hitachi / Metabo HPT.

The results were actually pretty impressive, and it looks like I will not only have plenty of room for tools in there, but my big backside will fit comfortably this way... Having the entry door all the way on the right gives me a LOT more continuous wall to put the lathe on and suddenly things aren't quote so crowded. I don't have the sharpening station there but there is way more than enough room. And yes I have the following tool changes from what I currently have.

Home BT3100 wide table kit removed. 10" of extension rails maintained, and router table wing retained but shortened massively. Not in this sketchup but I am thinking just a simple roller box base with a few drawers for the table saw and router accessories, and a keep the kitty litter tub router box. I just need to figure out a better door and I think I am there...
                    Forum Sell off the Chicago Electric 12" sliding miter saw, replace it with either a used Hitachi 12" front slide, or a new Metabo HPT 12" front slide. Cut down the miter saw cabinet by 12" of depth. Dust hood concepts still being considered. Blogs Sell the Northern Industrial floor model drill press in favor of a Wen 4212T bench top model, and flip top stand mount it with the mortiser on the other side. I probably have enough room for the mortiser cabinet and the floor model drill press, just had the model handy...

I already see one functional issue with the layout model though. The clamshell cabinets over the lathe are too close to the wall. The outer doors need to swing open 180 degress in order to clear the inner doors. I forgot to save space for them...

Concept sketchup of a 10x20 workshop
                    Last edited by dbhost; 03-29-2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• nicer20
                      nicer20 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does the online Sketchup have a free version? I thought the only way to get a free version is the 2017 downloaded one and online versions are all paid subscriptions. Want to learn Sketchup for hobby projects and not going to be regular user able to justify ongoing subscription. TIA
                  • dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

There, moved the clamshell cabinets excluding one to over the workbench / table saw, which probably makes more sense. And the open cabinet, my current workshop library over the AC in the far narrow wall.

This configuration leaves me with a nice open middle space, and considering almsot everything is on wheels, if I need more room to handle a workpiece just wheel it in and around... I need to keep tweaking the upper cabinets but I am close, oh so close. This actually looks like it could work..

Click image for larger version  Name:	10x20_Workshop_CabinetsFixed.png Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	849657

Pretty sure I have mentioned whomever built my house was an imbecile. The attic stairs over the shop literally were dropping the bolts for the spring / hinges, and the brackets bent. Apparently when they built it they figured 5/16 x 3/4 lab bolts would hold up. Well they did for 38 years, but today was not a good day for them. I need some 1.5" long lags but I got them bolted down nice and tight, and the brackets straightened out. I am NOT happy though. I managed to get my thumb caught between the bracket and the boards when the spring let go and it tore up my thumb nail away from the nail bed.

Oh well, it'll heal somewhat quickly and I now know what needed to be fixed.

I need to actually take this attic stairs setup off, and re-frame it. Not going to go into the explanation other than to say it's done VERY stupidly and is really only supported on one side... How the f$#% this ever passed anything resembling an inspection I will never know...
                    Last edited by dbhost; 03-29-2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Lots of meetings, calls etc... Busy day. What time I had fo rme I spent cleaning in the shop and posting my surplus dust collection ducting to Craigslist. I was NOT kidding when I said I wanted the stuff gone. You'd be shocked how much space a bunch of DWV fittings and pipe take up.

I left none of the 4" ABS fittings, none of the 4" DWV fittings, and only a small amount of pipe for non related shop use. I.e. dowel storage...

Been a frustrating week. Hoping things will get better soon...

Comment

• nicer20
                        Established Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Dublin, CA
                        • BT3100

Well technically not today but yesterday marked my first day at office after 2+ years. I left office on Feb 24th 2020 for a family vacation to Hawaii. Came back on March 8th night and our offices were proactively shutdown from the 9th. So never had a chance or reason to go back in.

First day after 2+ years - luckily there was no coffee left on the table growing mold

Comment

Working...