• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I drove all day (Friday) from the Memphis area to 60 miles east of Macon GA. I am conducting my mother in laws funeral tomorrow. She was 93. Lots of grand children and great grand children and 2 great great grandchildren. She was very alert mentally until dementia started taking over 2 years ago. Until then, she never talked like an old person but carried on conversations like young, middle age and younger senior citizens. I was in Lakeland FL (Between Tampa and Orlando) last Monday with LOML when she passed. She was staying with LOML's youngest sister. I flew back home that evening to prepare some things for the funeral and help my 3 daughters and 10 grandkids get ready for the trip. My MIL and my FIL both grew up in New Orleans. They CELEBRATE people lives at funerals there. And that will be what we will be doing tomorrow. (Sat.)
    Last edited by leehljp; 11-26-2021, 07:13 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry for your loss. But you have the right idea. Celebrate the life they shared with you!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

So... my 20lb turkey for 2 is finally thawed. Boy did I miscalcuate that one. Dried it up, got it good and garlic herb cajun injected, butter rubbed it down, did a cajun trinity with garlic rub and jammed it in the oven. Not exactly a northern tradition, but we are covered if Boudreaux decides to drop in for a bite!

Got a weird announcement from Alexa saying a shipment has arrived. We have no Amazon shipments expected or marked to be delivered until Monday, nothing at the doorstep, nothing at the mailbox. And I can prove it with Ring. Not sure what that crazy digital mouth is yammering on about.

Going to go see if I can find a diagram for that switch from MLCS today...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Finished the fireplace last night and cleaned up this morning. Wife has to touch up the paint where I dinged the walls because I paint like a 5 year old that got the wrong order at Starbucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2490.jpeg
Views:	410
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	846381
          Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Outside, finish setting up the Christmas lights. After struggling to make some light strings wholly working I just went down to Lowes and bought 6 new strings of 100 for $18.

Tonight testing the dusk sensor I found it turning on and off every 30 seconds. WTF??? Then it hit me that I had a floodlight that came on with the sensor and the floodlight fell full on the dusk sensor making it think it was daytime again turning off the lights and going into an oscillating cycle.

Picked up dinner at the Luby's cafeteria and

Worked on my wooden train whistle which I completed this evening and it works! See the thread on wood toy whistles; the new one is at the end.https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...-wood-whistles

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB270503.JPG Views:	0 Size:	151.2 KB ID:	846401
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-28-2021, 01:38 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Continued on the rewiring of the switch for the Central Machinery bandsaw. Had some trouble with some of the crimp ring terminals which I was down to far too few, had to make an Amazon order. The heat shrink terminals don't work quite so well with regular crimp tool, at least the cheap ones I got... I got a better set coming.

I cleaned up, and super glued the Craftsman Professional label onto my bandsaw fence rail, and came to the sad sealization that the fence rail sits about 1/8" too high so the fence leans back at an angle. Considering whether to elongate the holes to allow the fence rail to be dropped, or to just put a piece of felt at the far end of the fence... Choices, choices....

Carrying box fan with ultra allergen filter into master bath, about to plastic off the bathroom / master suite entrance to control the dust, and sand the walls down. If you may recall, I had a large amount of mudding to do to the walls to remove wallpaper removal gouges. Need to smooth all that out now... And there is a LOT of it. I kind of don't want to, but I need to do this.

My Compressed air piping system arrived today. I am going to get my wife to wrap it up so we have something to open Christmas morning.

I've got lots to do, so I better get to it...

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I was wrong about the compressed air piping system. It arrived today. Yesterdays Amazon delivery apparently was a subscribe and save of cat food... Ooops...

The OE motor wiring connections to the bandsaw are insulated blade connectors. Female, that slide on to the male connectors, and a ring connector for the ground. So I swapped the ring connector for a female insulated blade connector. The cable coming in from the switch was set up with male blades.

I managed to get good solid crimps simply using slip joint pliers, so perhaps the special crimpers I got for the heat shrink terminals might be just excessive. But I ordered it anyway.

So tomorrow with any luck I will have the ring terminals installed, heat shrink done, and connections made. Possibly cabling routed. I am digging through my service bag for zip tie anchors. I need to lay my hands on a rubber grommet, and drill a penetration through the back of the stand for the power lead / grommet. I also need a, well.rubber plug of sorts to close up the hole in the front of the stand, and a blank electrical box cover to close up the hole where the OE switch should be but no longer is...

So I might be shuffling ever so slowly, but I AM making progress...

From my other post, I started looking for storage cabinet ideas for the BT3100. I am not wanting the extended rail version, but rather something that fits under just the stock rails. After I posted though, I remembered I still have double wide spice drawers, and at least 2 regular short drawers from the ones I am using for the lathe bench.

The idea is I need storage for blades, push blocks, Dado set, throat plates, router bits (in wooden boxes) router templates etc... The side of the BT3100 has hangers for the full fence, AND the miter fence, so no need for additional storage for them. And the double wide spice drawer would be more than enough for the router stuff, and the 2 regular drawers would be more than enough for hte blades, dado stack, throat plates, wrenches, push blocks, featherboards etc... And I would probably end up with one additional empty drawer for various misc shop junk...

I had an issue with my water softener that my band saw sits next to. The saw is unimpacted, but it looks like I might need to replace the HF mobile base as there is a goodly amount of rust on the base... Ick.... I didn't think to move it away, I'm an idiot.

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                  • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Picked up some Dewalt Tough System 2.0 boxes at Home Depot at lunch time.

When we moved, I had to pack up the shop fairly quickly and a lot of stuff got tossed randomly into drawers. This evening, I cleaned out 6 drawers in the workbench, my electrical and plumbing toolboxes and sorted out all the various plumbing fittings, waterproof and regular wire nuts, pipe staples for 1/2-1", various outlets, switches, coverplates screws, scraps of wire single, double and triple electrical boxes etc.

Ended up with all my electrical supplies and tools in a single Large Dewalt Toughsystem 2 box. I'm still procrastinating on organizing my hardware cabinet.
                  Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Not too fond of crimping electrical connections with slip joint pliers....
                    I would not have them in my house!
                    Always use full cycle electrical crimpers.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Today was a bust. Definitely a Monday. This morning Four things were scheduled for delivery from on-line purchases so I was excited.
                      • Some flip stops from MLCS were to be delivered today. But at 6 PM USPS informed delivery was still saying to be delivered today by 9 PM but the tracking showed that the package was received at 3:30 PM at the local N Houston processing facility which is not even my neighborhood station where all final deliveries are made from. So not getting it today (USPS now says unknown delivery date). Tomorrow is likely questionable, too.
                      • Toaster was due today, but late today the UPS delivery status said slipped to Wednesday
                      • Amazon promised delivery by their courier of some wifi switches but as of late afternoon was sending me an email status change to tomorrow
                      • A Google Nest Hub was scheduled today. It was to be my new garage shop assistant. It actually arrived on schedule (good on you Fedex) - story continued below
                      I went to set it up around 5 PM.

It worked at first but I found it crashed on me when doing stuff during setup. At first I thought it was what I was trying to do. I eventually found it was restarting itself every three to four minutes. Whether or not I was doing anything...

Confirmed it was doing it with another power supply adapter, so unfortunately it was the unit itself.

So I called Google and they were quite busy and the computer offered to call me back. Well much to my wife's Annoyance they called back as she was setting dinner on the table.

Talked with the rep, they were nice, but that proving something is intermittent every 4 or 5 minutes takes quite a while to demonstrate when they tell you to try something. Spent forty minutes before she was convinced and gave me a RMA, so still batting zero for four today. Spent more time deleting all setup and repackaging the item and I have yet to go to the P.O. to drop it off. Wasted 4 hours and pissed off the Spousal unit and got a cold dinner to boot on a defective Next Hub.

Small victories: the Christmas lights came on as programmed!
                      Fixed a string of lights for the Small tree we have. Replaced all the "bypassed" bulbs that were out as too many of them raises the voltage on the rest and makes the remainder of the string burn out at a greater rate. Replace 18 of 100 bulbs eventually. But they are all lit! There were more out than I thought at first. In retrospect I should have bought a new string for $3 but I hate to throw stuff away.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-30-2021, 02:31 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        LCHIEN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        P.S. Its Tuesday
                        MLCS actually came today.
                        Amazon had promised Tuesday and all day today said today but it never made it onto the truck for delivery. Now claiming Thursday delivery.
                        **** toaster was by Fedex Surepost which is where Fedex deliver to USPS and USPS does the house delivery. Well, Fedex said tonight that the post office refused it and they are sending it back to Arizona to the original shipper. Crap!
                        Google verbally told me they are sending me a new unit but I have not received a shipping notice and instead I got a cryptic note that said they would refund my money in 14 days. WTF????
                        Still have one item of four promised for Monday and the others are getting further and further into the future.
                        Can't say as I like my flip stops. They are super stiff. Oiled them to see if they loosen up. At least they have no play.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-01-2021, 02:13 PM.
                    • dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

So still waiting on the heat shrink crimps, they are allegedly out for delivery, and the crimpers, got rescheduled for tomorrow.

Going to change the oil in the car,and maybe put up some Christmas lights tonight,

More cleanup, recycling LOTS of cardboard that somehow got stuffed in the shop.

Taking measurements of existing drawers, and the general space the table saw footprint is, as well as the space for the lathe bench.
                      Last edited by dbhost; 11-30-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Wasted WAY too much time digging around trying to find the components needed for an affordable 5" dust collection ducting setup. I MAY or MAY NOT have come up with something. ABS 5" fittings from Woodcraft, and it may take some massaging, but using 5" snap lock metal ducting.

As it should be more than obvious, I am trying to eke out the most performance out of my cheap Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector. Not that I am doing anything unusual... LOTS of folks are doing the same thing. I may just be getting a bit more OCD than many on it.

And sitting here anxiously awaiting delivery of my heat shrink crimpers. Once delivered, I will finish the install of the remote power switch on the bandsaw and test.

Pushed the pause button on shop cleanup. This project is generating a LARGE amount of recycles, and since the recycling run didn't go last week due to Thanksgiving holiday on my recycle day, My bin runneth over...

I discovered Duck brand painters tape does NOT stick to painted walls. The EZ release is just too EZ...

I am trying to hang up plastic sheeting in the opening between the master bedroom and master vanity areas so I can put the box fan / allergen filter rig in the vanity and start sanding. I don't want the huge plumes of drywall dust getting all over the freshly painted bedroom walls...

Once that is done, and the walls are smooth and dust free, I will dig out the texture gun, mix up some runny mud, and texture the bathroom walls to match the bedroom, and then paint...

I need to replace the pull switches on the ceiling fan in the master vanity as well, and will take the opportunity to integrate a Zigbee celing fan / light controller in that position. Probably take the opportunity to finally flash the firmware in the actual vanity light switch... That is NOT a fun process to be honest...

I have something like 4 more of these switches that need to be integrated into the house, but for the 3 way installations, I am one conductor, the carrier, short. I have already talked it over with a sparky friend of mine who is going to do the install for me, and he will provide the material, and I will build him a chuck box for deer camp. Pretty fair trade as that is a project I need to do for me anyway.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

The heat shrink connector crimpers came in, and I installed the connectors needed to complete the switch install, wired up the switch to the line and load cables, and then snagged again. Apparently the blade connectors Harbor Freight uses are not the same size as the ones I have in my inventory.

I am wanting VERY MUCH to avoid taking the motor out and rewiring it. So I am at a crossroads. Do I cut the female insulated blades off and install my matching female heat shrink blades, OR do I cut the blades off of both cables, and install heat shrink butt connectors?

I am leaning toward butt connectors as they are FAR less likely to come undone in use...

I still need a grommet to pass the cable through the stand though. I am thinking hardware store trip is in order. Again trying to avoid that before Friday as I have too many other things going on.. And since they are in the same shopping center area, I am going to do my Home Depot pickup, as well as go to Office Depot to get the template for the neutral vane printed, oh and pick up a short length of 5" snap lock. I am hoping I can start with the snap lock ducting and mod it into the needed neutral vane...

UPDATE: This is a TEMPORARY wiring solution, but I did complete the connections in the bandsaw, and tested, and it is oh so nice... Looking at hte base of the saw, I believe I can do the routing without drilling any new holes. I still need a bushing but I am ready to complete this and button up the saw, and call it done..
                          Last edited by dbhost; 12-01-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

It's early still, so logged in to work, had my regular telecon, poured coffee, checked my work queue, dealt with client issues, and found gap time.

Working on shopping / pickup list.

I am VERY hard pressed as to know what to do separator wise. I want to know the impact against CFM of doing various separators. So I will be doing my shopping today, BUT... I have ordered an anemometer, don't worry, I needed one for drone flying anyway, to measure wind speed. I cannot find any tests showing CFM impact of a neutral vane, comapred to an internal Thien separator, compared to a combination of a neutral vane / Thien.

I am wanting answers to questions I have, and nobody seems to have them.

What I know is in a pre separator situation a trash can separator lid, be it Thien style OR a regular type, reportedly take about a 45% reduction in CFM at the intake port. A cyclone like a Super Dust Deputy takes about a 28% CFM reduction at the port.

I am trying to keep the fines out of packing my filter, not keep them out of the lower bag of my dust collector.

It seems to me the CFM loss is perhaps the bends etc... introduced by the separator lid itself, and not necessarily the Thien baffle as the regular trash can lid separators seem to get the same results and the Thien, oddly enough though, tests on top hat builds still show a dramatic CFM hit...

So shopping trip today will be...

#1. Head to office depot to print out Loring's template for the neutral vane.
                            #2. Head to Home Depot to pick up my project panel, and a short piece of 6" snap lock to build the neutral vane. Just FWIW, the hole locations for the rivets are not visible in the template PDF, I will figure it out though...
                            #3. Grocery store. Honestly wish my wife would put the groceries on a pickup order. I do NOT want to go in store... Feeling a bit antisocial today. For those that have met me in person you know, crowds give me the heebie jeebies in the best of times, and with how everyone is activing about COVID, combined with the fact that we are in the Holiday season, I do NOT want to do groceries in person. People are getting imaptient and rude. Hopefully you aren't noticing this where you are. I literally had a woman take a pecan pie out of my shopping cart prior to tnanksgiving. I just don't want to deal with jerks...
                            #4. Before heading out, still need to size up the hole for the screws in the riser block, and get screws / cable strap to secure the new power cable for hte bandsaw.
                            #5. Source up some sort of touchup paint for the bandsaw base. Not sure if I explained this right. The water softener is immediately next to the bandsaw, and the safety had at one point popped, and the base of the bandsaw got hosed down with that nasty salty mineral brine causing some surface rust on the base, damage to the mobile base looks a bit more extensive. I want to sand down, prime, and repaint that side of the base, but I seriously doubt lacking taking a wheel guard in and color matching, I am going to get even close, and I do NOT want to buy a gallon of paint to touch this up. So I am going to probably grab "close enough green" rustoleum and some epoxy primer and get it done. Honestly if I were willing to fully dismantle the base, i would go with Hunter green, as I use that stuff a lot to restore / maintain my old classic Coleman camp stoves and lanterns...
                            #6. Okay I should get a proper grommet instead of using a hunk of hose...

I have a LOT of sanding to do in the master bath / vanity (sheetrock) that I do NOT want to do. I have the separator ready as well as the shop vac, I need to tape plastic over the entryway to keep drywall dust off of the master bedroom walls still. This is NOT a project I look forward to as I am repairing some big damage to the bottom of the closet wall. I am ready to be in the done phase though, so N95 mask at the ready, sander ready, etc... Just need to plow through this...

I need to dig through stuff to see if I can source up a few small / medium boxes. Several of my wifes Christmas gifts came in and I want to wrap them in a manner that it isn't obvious what it is.

It should be noted, with my T12s in the shop light fixtures, the load on the smart switch that controls my lighting is close to the switches designed limits. There is a reason I am trying to get LED in there. Most notably 1/3 the power draw, which means that both the shop lighting, and the overhead air filter can run off of the smart switch.

I know it sounds funny, but I despise the idea of buying new fixtures. Not because I am being cheap mind you, but I guess it is just the discomfort with the constantly disposable goods thing. I don't want to pitch otherwise good fixtures into a landfill if I don't have to. So in that vein / vane / oh whatever.... I realized my direct replacement bulb problems were caused by direct replacement bulbs that weren't. They did NOT like the T12 ballasts. So I have options.

#1. Replace the entire fixture with new LED shop light fixtures. Quick, easy, done. Wasteful, landfill clogging, ethically odd for me. Not everyone will care, and I get that, but it bugs me. It should be noted my parents were depression era kids, so they passed a use everything you have to the best of your ability down to me...
                            #2. Replace the T12 ballasts with T8 ballasts, and try the direct replacement bulbs again. This leaves me with potential for failing ballasts in the future. I'd rather not go that route.
                            #3. Do ballast replacement bulbs. This means keep the existing fixtures, but I would need to pull the ballasts, AND change the keystones to non shunted T8 keystones. So instead of the full fixtures being waste, that is too big for our recycling program to deal with, I am down to balalasts and keystones. They will take those. This means more work initially for me on the ladder, BUT... this also means I get to keep my existing mounting configurations for the shop lights as no telling how to flush mount replacements, and it gives me fresh keystones. This eliminates potential for failing ballasts, and eliminates any potential energy loss due to ballasts.
                            Last edited by dbhost; 12-03-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                              The heat shrink connector crimpers came in, and I installed the connectors needed to complete the switch install, wired up the switch to the line and load cables, and then snagged again. Apparently the blade connectors Harbor Freight uses are not the same size as the ones I have in my inventory.

I am wanting VERY MUCH to avoid taking the motor out and rewiring it. So I am at a crossroads. Do I cut the female insulated blades off and install my matching female heat shrink blades, OR do I cut the blades off of both cables, and install heat shrink butt connectors?

I am leaning toward butt connectors as they are FAR less likely to come undone in use...

The quick-connects are called Fast-on tabs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SA-037-RED-CRIMP-FAST-ON-TAB-TERMINAL-L-DSC08124-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.5 KB ID:	846506
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	SA-047-YELLOW-CRIMP-FAST-ON-TERMINAL-DIMENSIONED-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	846508
                              they usually come in 0.250" and 0.170" wide blades. (male tab width)

Which do you need and what sex and how many?

I probably have some. and can drop them in the mail.

PM me your address
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-03-2021, 10:44 AM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...