What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhost
    replied
    Not going to lie, I am wearing a bunch of paint right now. I gave up on the roller idea after a medium nap roller kept missing all sorts of textures in the T1-11. I went to Harbor Freight to solve my problem, I got their clearanced airless paint sprayer. this is NOT an HVLP or turbine, but basically a Wagner Power Painter gizmo. $40.00 for a LOT less labor, sold!

Got ti home, read the instructions, thinned the paint which took a while getting it right. Got the left side of the shed the doors finished and part of the front of the shed finished before I ran out of my proper viscosity paint. I need to dillute what is left in the can but I am running out of oomph for today...

Part of me just wants to finish spraying it, and maybe if I feel generous down the road painting the trim by hand down the road...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    It didn't take long for the paint to dry. Mounted up the barrel bolts to secure the semi fixed door, and installed a hasp to the doors to secure this shed. Found key matching master lock so now the shed and the deck box where my fuels are stored away from the house, have a common key.

Not sure if anyone has gotten the idea yet, but I am trying to minimize the number of keys I have on my keychain. It would be cheaper if I just would have kept separate keys, but I can't tell you how many times I have tried to open a toolbox and took me 10 minutes to find the key.

The temps are already shooting up already today, will try to paint the trim since it is raw wood, the siding is actually that pre finished stuff so I can wait a little bit, not too long though. If I have enough in me this weekend, will get all of it done, just not sure about that.

Oh FWIW, the paint is Behr porch and floor paint. The stuff is supposed to be used on wood porches with high traffic / wear and lots of water, so I figure shed floor would like it. And yes, the OSB drinks up the paint pretty badly...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    It's early still but I got the floor in the shed painted and I started on the trim on the door to dry so I can install the door hardware and I can finally lock this thing up

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    So my shed guy accelerated the schedule, and I no longer have the weekend to clean up the back yard, and the spot the shed will go is not fully cleared yet. But the shed goes in tomorrow... The shed crew may have about 10 minutes of extra work if I can't get to it by then.

I'm looking forwad to getting this part done and over with. I still need color match paints, and probably some sand and pavers to connect the patio to the shed...

And move my junk from garage to shed, at that point, garage is 100% shop space finally...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Went and got the hand truck at lunch. Just assembled it, I got hte 2 in 1, don't need it any fancier than that. Has more than enough space as a platform truck to fit what gear I would need, and will help with moving heavy stuff around the house.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    $99.00 and I can get it today, you bet... This root ball with all the mud is stupid heavy, the old plastic wheels on my 20 year old hand truck gave up... And who doesn't like a convertible?

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Harbor frieght!

• dbhost
    replied
    Went to move the root ball, managed to break my hand truck. Been wanting a heavy duty, or more specifically LARGE convertible hand truck with pnuematic tires for a long time to help moving things like amplifiers around for the rare occasion I get a gig with my friends (the worlds worst classic rock band you will ever find). We haven't gigged since Hurricane Harvey so it hasn't been a priority... I guess it got ramped up now.

Got the locks for the toolbox from the MFG, they goofed, send the wrong key #. Got the call into them and they are shipping the correct ones, I hope...
    Last edited by dbhost; 02-27-2023, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Spent part of the weekend doing odd jobs around my daughter's house in Superior, WI and then much of the rest moving furniture around the house with my son in law at the direction of our wives.

Brought home a bit of surplus furniture for my nice who closes on her first house in a few weeks.

Finally finished the last coat of paint on the dog wash ramp and will install it on Monday after work. Then there is just some trim work to do and a cabinet door and drawer to build and that project is complete.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Tree service guy is here, digging out the Crepe Myrtle stump. Barely been here 5 minutes and he is hard at it. Ah the benefits of being young!
    Been cutting down the Crepe Myrtle and saving pieces large enough and straight enough to make a cane, turn on the lathe, or mill on the bandsaw for making boxes... I do NOT smell good now for sure.

I ordered a dehumidifier for the house. I have had a few nights recently where I was having trouble sleeping. I would look at the inside temp which was fine, 70 deg, which is what I like for sleeping, but the humidity even inside was over 75% so sticky. I know when it is drier, like below 40% I can keep the temp in the mid to upper 70s and be comfy so I opted for a dehumidifier to suck the ick out of the air. Kind of hoping using this with the AC will allow me to keep the AC at a warmer temp, maybe 76 or 77, and lower my electric bill...

Shed guy is supposed to be here a week from Monday, I need to get probably 2 gallons of color match exterior paint so I can paint to match the house and keep the HOA off my backside if they even notice it.

That means up into the attic I go for the decommissioned Sterilite shelving units from HD a long time ago. I have enough shelving to go along the 12' sides from front to back. I figure on hanging my L&G tools to each side of the door, and then the stuff on wheels wheel it in. My racks are 6 footers, I opted for 7 foot sidewalls so it will all fit...

Been collecting sockets to fill in my socket organizers and back fill ones I have lost over many years. Waiting on a 20mm 3/8 drive shallow and then my sockets are completed excluding some specialty stuff for the new Nissan. My old lug nut flip socket is bigger than the Nissan Lug nuts, so I was planning on grabbing a full set from Amazon since they are somewhat cheap.

I should be done with the shed build, move, and insulating the shop wall before the end of March, once that is done, we order the mini split, and remove the portable unit and oil filled radiator. Patch the garage wall where the portable was, and finish organizing and cleaning up.

I am tired just typing all that... Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    spent some time on yard cleanup, gettiing rid of hte small limbs, keeping the larger cut offs from the ash tree, and the cut down Crepe Myrtle. I am thinking about milling some of the Crepe Myrtle and drying it up. I think it would make nice bandsaw boxes...

managed to stab my big toe with the pruners, and so that hung that up for a bit.

Doing laundry and resting mostly...

Finished up processing some Fire Agate in the tumbler, found a stone that is just the right size and is heart shaped. I made Debi a beautiful heart shaped bandsaw box out of Maple years ago, I never liked the knobs I tried for the drawer. I might have to figure out a way to mount this heart shaped fire agate...

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    We got 14" of snow overnight and it stopped around 11:00 this morning. I got out the snow blower and cleared my driveway and two of the neighbors' driveways and the sidewalk in the cul de sac before I had to get back on line.

Another neighbor has the day off, and he went out about the same time I did. I think he's on his fifth house now and he's still going. This is a great neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Got the paint to redo the old toolbox. You can't really tell from a pic but up close the paint is trashed. The listing I found was most likely quite wrong.

The references I found saying that Rustoleum Colonial Red Gloss is the proper paint color are WAY off, or Rustoleum massively changed the color. It was a toss up between Rustoleum Apple Red Gloss, and Rustoleum Safety Red. Given that the paint more or less matches my Kidde fire extinguishers, and the safety red striping we had at the shop I worked at when the box was new, I went with Safety red...
    The Krylon Painters Touch Metallic Black Stainless is close as well, but has a touch of metal flake that the original didn't have. So I guess you could say I am going to end up doing a resto-custom job on it...

I need some aircraft stripper to get the finish knocked down, sand it down to 220, no need to go ultra fine here, and then prime and paint it all up... and of course reassemble.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Ordered the replacement lock for the 90s Craftsman tool cabinet, making stops en route home to get the paint. Need brake cleaner and surface prep. Probably going to end up with a better finish than factory...

Need to get replacement seal for DC...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Today was a holiday for us at work, which was good as I have been feelking kind of lousy and am glad I didn't have to take a day off... Did spend some time with a sander and some long-ish ash limb cutoffs de-barking them. Wanting to make some ash canes / walking sticks... My ash tree in the back yard had 2 limbs that were growing low and in the way of where the shed is going to go.

Got the tree service scheduled to come and remove the Crepe Myrtyle stump. Going to try to salvage the root ball for a turning project, got the shed builder on the schedule, and spent some time doing yard cleanup so they have a good place to work...

Leave a comment:

Working...