What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhost
    replied
    Mounted up the solar panel for the shed light. Boring the hole through the OSB siding was actually quite a bit tougher than I expected. That stuff is mostly glue! Ran the cable through, filled the hole with silicone and am letting it / hoping it will dry before the rains hit. I had to wait until my yard was dry enough to support my fat butt on a ladder, and rains are in the forecast today I think, we will see...

Mounted the light itself and made the cable connection. I had to use a quck 2x4 cutoff to give me a horizontal mounting surface for the light. Dummy cut the corners at 45 degrees, the roof is at 22.5 degrees. Oh well it works...

Letting it charge up and the silicone to cure. Then I can go ahead and tidy the cable installation up and be done with that part.
    Last edited by dbhost; 03-24-2023, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Pulled the lock from the left garage door thinking I would just go to Home Depot and pick up a matching pair so I can have keys to both doors. I have never bothered as that was the door that used to have the garage door opener, and then was blocked by too much junk prior to the shed...

Mind you I made this decision when I bought the house because matching keyed pairs were mot avaialble when I bought the house. Well I couldn't even find one with a different key I could get rekeyed... I think I might have to order a pair online from Ace Hardware since they don't offer them in store.

Why are garage door lock cylinders so hard to come by? I mean aren't dual or even triple garage doors common?

Feeling kind of lousy, lots of sinus drainage, causing lots of coughing. Pretty sure with the itchy and very watery eyes it is allergies, but, well boy I feel like crud.

Changed the oil in the Nissan, and ran in through the car wash to hose off the pollen...

Make my grocery order, doing curbside. Pretty simply. Frozen dinners and breakfast stuff. I need to fix or replace my fridge, and then replace the door gaskets on my standing freezer...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    So I am as I get 5 minutes here and there, moving the tool box OUT of the living room, and into the workshop. As a reminder, the shed was needed to make room for the toolbox, and other stuff, well the toolbox is loaded, so I took the drawers out of and unloaded the sockets from the chest so it was a LOT easier to get over the threshold and over to the shop. Now I get to put drawers back in. Since this pic, I have moved it over closer to the track, I need to vacuum in there though, apparently the potting soil back busted back there....

As the day goes on, will repopulate the top with sockets, and put the drawers back in... Getting closer to time to work on my smaller cabinet / drill press cabinet. Those have a different style drawer slide that I am not a fan of...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ToolBoxInTheShop.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	854594

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    So the solar powered motion activated lights came in, and went back the replacement came in. The solar panel uses a captive nut on the inside of the framing with a thumb screw. And just how is the nut captive? With hot glue. Not super secure and one was missing on the first one.

Going to set it up, test it out and if it works, remove the hot glue and at least epoxy the things in place...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Got the refund from PayPal for the engine the mechanic never did deliver, went to the engine builder directly and ordered a crate engine, 7 year / unlimited mileage warranty. Not going to lie, I am going to make them regret that warranty... Ordered all the "fresh stuff" for the engine install. Serpentine belt, idler pulley, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, doing some shopping for Motorcraft coil on plug assemblies as they are NOT cheap... This truck makes me miss old pushrod V8s...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Doing the day job thing. WFH, so as things run and I have a few minutes between, running stuff out to the shed still. The stack fo tires for the truck is next...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    So my solar light came in. Installation is pending. Current weather is 82 deg F with 76% RH... Think I am going to wait until this evening with a flashlight before I even consider going out to work on this. No clue how I am gong to mount it up... I will figure it out. Might have to cobble up a cross brace.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Here's one motion activated LEDs with a remote solar panel - I think this is the ticket

• nicer20
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol
    Because we are getting older, my wife and I met with an attorney to get an estate plan started. In an odd juxtaposition, we then went axe throwing. We returned home unscathed from both activities.
    BTW meeting an attorney and creating an estate plan is just a start especially if you are creating a living trust. The more important next step is retitling all the assets under the trust name. Don't forget to do that ASAP. Just a friendly advice - hope it is OK.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Yeah it's just a storage space. I was thinking about some kind of solar powered motion detector, or door switch activated lights. I don't need light outside the shed, my yard lights have that covered just fine, it's the interior I need lit up, even just a little... Maybe something like this one...

Cable is long enough I can fish in through the vents at the eaves Mount the solar panel up as high as I can get it and mount this to the truss closest to the center peak...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Since its a storage shed and not a working place, some battery operated motion detector LEDs might be in order if it doesn't have AC power.
    I used some for several years lighting the side of the garage where the trash cans were. they all eventually died due to water exposure even tho they claimed to be weather resistant. Indoors they might last forever. The last one I bought failed quickly due to weather so I changed to a solar powered one that is motion sensitive but that won't work for you.

• dbhost
    replied
    So the shed is REALLY dark once the sun goes down with no lights, no windows, and only the doors open to let what little light I can muster in there.

Went to Home Depot and grabbed 4 more 27 gallon totes to organize things on the shelves. They had a full unbroken pallet, and none on the shelf. I think I annoyed the staff members there as I whipped out the swiss army knife and opened the pallet... I hope they weren't holding those for a pre-sale...

Eh, their app said there were 100 units in stock, so the sale wasn't completed yet. Not my problem...

I need to try to get more done on the getting crap out of the shop / garage tomorrow... Getting there, finding stuff that definately needs to hit the recyclers...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Whomever recommended the Harbor Freight convertible hand truck. (probably LCHIEN ) THANK YOU! The wheels are considerably taller, and wider than the ones at Home Depot and Northern Tool, I didn't look at Lowes that closely due to price, and, well dragging the stuff going into the shed across the lawn was super easy even set down as a platform truck! I am about half done moving stuff over, but now I am at individual pieces that will fall through the bottom of the truck, Need to dig out a large empty tote which I may not have handy... I have a bunch of old Coleman Fuel heaters which came in super handy for the big freeze of 21, camp chairs, and then on the the lawn and garden / automotive stuff. I will purge before I move that stuff though as I am sure a lot of it is no good any more. Dried out cleaning wipes and the like...
    Last edited by dbhost; 03-11-2023, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Got home from work, finished unloading the shelving units the the garage / workshop. Managed to break a globe on an old Propane lantern. Good thing is it was a complete junk generic lantern worth nothing, just going to pitch it in the recycling... Moved the shelves into the shed, and started moving the tents in there. Yes I have a collection of tents, a rather sizeable one. I loan tents to friends in need with the exception of my Joolca ensuite (bathroom) tent. I have an older Cabelas one I will loan out, but my Joolca I don't want to risk not getting it back...

To put it in woodworking tool terms, it is the Festool Kapex of Ensuite tents, and since I prefer to boondock / dry camp, I have to bring my own bathroom...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Starting to populate the shed hangersThe hangers the weed eater and edger are on have hooks below them, I have an electric hedge trimmer and leaf blower that go there... The aluminum multi hook thingy is where the rakes and shovels go...

Leave a comment:

Working...