What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhost
    replied
    Sanded the gloss off of the lower drawer of the filing cabinet face, wiped it down with alcohol wipes, and put down 2 coats of stain, gave it a good rub in. It is darker than my home made Latte but certainly NOT cark roast yet. Gonna let it cure up some, and hit it with 2 to 3 more coats, I know I can get hte color there...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol
    Finished the building part of the folding outfeed table for the tablesaw. This was made from all brand new materials, no salvage.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	849985...

As always nice work. I am curious though. you mentioned it with this, so I have to ask. Do you not like to do salvage wood projects? I might have missed them but it just occurred to me seeing your post, all of hte projects of yours I have seen are all new materials, and just wondering if that is a theme or did I miss the salvage / reclaimed stuff.

Just for me, I like doing salvage / reclaimed wood projects. But all new material does take out some squirrely variables for sure...

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    commented on 's reply
    I plan on storing the panels for future use on a ceiling hoist in the garage.

The thought process around negative pressure is that the fans will suck air out of the enclosure through the filters. That means any all the air from the booth needs to go through the filters to escape and any leaks will let in unfiltered air. It also means that unless I invest in explosion proof fans, spraying lacquer or anything oil based would be unsafe.

With positive pressure, any leaks in the booth will let overspray out of the booth to places I don't want it to go. When I sprayed my red cabinet doors last fall, there was a fine red powder on everything in the garage which took days to clean up.

• twistsol
    replied
    Finished the building part of the folding outfeed table for the tablesaw. This was made from all brand new materials, no salvage.

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	849985

The mounting block, on the other hand, was made from all scraps ... and it shows. this gives me about 9" of space beyond the table for my miter sled's bar so I don't need to add slots into the table itself. It mounts into the tracks on the back of the fence rail. Both parts will be finished with an epoxy coating so they'll be plenty durable.

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	849986

When I looked at brackets for the folding legs, I found a pair of stainless steel telescoping folding legs on Amazon for $30 which was about twice the price of the brackets. The benefit is I don't have to take the time to build legs, the drawback is they won't arrive for three weeks. When I went to post a bargain alert, the price had changed to $40 each so I think I just got incredibly lucky ... assuming they actually ship.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    Just FWIW, I did check, Monoprice does NOT have the 6 footers right now, and 3 is just too short. I do however have somewhere, an atriculating boom mic stand that I might have to press into service, it has a cable built in...

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    XLR is the balanced differential cables for pro audio use

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, XLR is the old style 3 pin audio connector used for microphones and mixing consoles. I occasionally want to dom some voice overs for my video work and that is how I get a good qaulity sound into the computer for recording....

• mpc
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not a musical type at all so "XLR cable" was new to me. For any cables my first website check is Monoprice.com. They carry tons of computing cables and cables for all sorts of non-computer stuff. I've had good luck finding cables both at longer-than-normal and very short lengths.

mpc

• dbhost
    replied
    Pretty sure I have mentioned the newly assembled 10 year old desk / hutch in the home office / studio space. I pulled it out a bit, and installed cable management raceway along the back to get the network cables, power cables and excess phone lines off the floor. I am ending up with a sizeable spool of extra cable bundled up behind the PC enclosure, and that does NOT lincludde the cables for the small 12 input mixer (4 XLR 8 1/4 mono). Mic stand is there, condenser mic is there, and I can't for the life of me find an XLR cable that is shorter than 15 feet. I think I need to go to Musiciansfriend and see if I can sourc eup a 4 footer.

Getting ready to pull one of hte short 2 drawer filing cabinets into the shop. Just need to empty it from the music books that were temporarily housed in it. Then the magic beigins. Pull the hardware, quick pass with the citris stripper, scrape down, then damp rag rinse. Sand it down, let it set up, sanding sealer, then dark walnut stain,in multiple applications until like I mentioned, dark roast coffee no cream color...., hit it with a coat of poly, The big trick is the hardware doesn't even come dclose to matching, and I am am nto sure I want it to....for now.

Once that is good and ready, move it in, move the printer on top, move in the printing supplies.
    Last edited by dbhost; 04-13-2022, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    What was the thought process for positive vrs negative pressure?

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Is this a one and done project or are you going to store the panels for the next project?

• leehljp
    commented on 's reply
    Looks very close to black walnut in color but the grain is a bit different.

• leehljp
    commented on 's reply
    Glad they put "EAST" of the MS. I made some olive wood pens from my brother-in-law and sister's farm in CA back in 2008. I made one for each of the family members. Their wood was light colored too but did have some figure in it. I remember eating olives from their trees back in the mid-60's when my sister got married.

• twistsol
    replied
    Started on the spray booth. I managed four of seven or nine wall sections depending on if I go 8x8 or 8 x 12 and the most of the fan box. I still need to add the filter holders and wiring to the fan box. It will be a negative pressure booth so I don’t need to worry about leaks too much. I’m just going to cover the wall frames with poly. The garage door will close on the fan box

. Click image for larger version

Name:	ECAF7540-7591-4B9C-97F6-4B0161DD29A9.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	849946

it was late so I didn’t want to start in any of the complicated angled walls or the wall section with the door.

Name:	FDE4C49F-1A6A-41E8-BF64-007D0FC5085E.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	849947

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Drove 200 miles round trip to pick up some Olive limbs from a S. Georgia grove trimming. Trees were planted around 2009, advertised as the first Olive harvest east of the Mississippi since the 1800s. The wood is young and light colored compared to other Olive I’ve worked with.

Leave a comment:

Working...