What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan
    commented on 's reply
    Well, part of the snow load question has been answered. We had a nasty storm come through a couple days ago, 8-10" of heavy wet snow, which took down power lines all over the valley. We lost power for right around 28 hours.
    Shop showed no signs of any issues with that amount of snow on the roof, although it was rather interesting to be standing outside under the lean-to when all the snow slid off about 25 x 39 feet's worth of roofing (half of the shop and the lean-to comes in right at 25') came crashing down right next to where we were standing. And now a good amount of that well packed snow needs to be moved.

• Stan
    commented on 's reply
    capncarl: I went with 24 x 39 with 10' walls. Roof pitch is 3/12 (which worked out real nice today, wife and I were moving the bass boat under the lean-to on one side right about the time the whole roof decided to unload the 8-10" of snow we recently got. 2 windows, 2 man doors and 1 7x8 garage door.

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    What is the size building, ceiling height! Doors?

• Stan
    commented on 's reply
    capncarl: They add structure to the joists for the applicable snowload you provide to them. The only downside is some vertical supports that connect from the lower wall studs to the horizontal rafters, they will need to be worked around when building cabinets in the new space. The tubing is actually pretty stout.
    Added a picture of the snowload supports (pic is worth a lot of words).
    Last edited by Stan; 11-01-2022, 10:13 PM.

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Will Veratube light gauge tubing stand the snow load in Montana? I like the stuff but questions it’s load bearing capabilities

• twistsol
    replied
    Managed to get the new bookcases assembled and set in place in my office. Unfortunately I'll have no shop time until after Thanksgiving. I haven't cut or finished the shelves yet, so just the one fixed shelf in each bookcase is usable for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	852751

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	852752

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Finally taking a break here, have been busy since late May between clearing land, bringing in about 160 yards of fill, pouring a pad and then building a metal frame shop to move into.
    Went with a Versatube metal frame building and sourced the sheetmetal locally.
    Been a long process, but it is dried in now and I am trying to get spray foam scheduled, along with electrical.

Name:	Snowload supports.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	852761
    Last edited by Stan; 11-01-2022, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Had a full work week The new job is going well so far but it's so early on it's kind of hard for it not to go well. The team seems pretty good but honestly I've been well everyone is working hybrid and I've been there when they've been remote and I'm going to be remote when they're there so it might be a while before actually get to interface with everybody..

Was working on Camper stuff nothing big justhing big just tweaking some of the wiring harness before I get the truck back it is delayed. Honestly the mechanic started later than he should have on the job so I'm not sure I'm going to have the truck back in time for me to do my planned veterans Day weekend trip. He did run into a snag and it was kind of an important one that is slowing him down if I was doing the work it would have slowed me down too which was apparently the engine wasn't just knocking when I stopped but apparently it's spun a bearing and seized and I didn't know that. Kind of hard to get the torque converter bolts off of the flex plate if you can't turn the crank shaft so he has to pull the engine and transmission is one unit M and then separate them on the bench.

The interior lighting for the camper is camper is going to be very simple if simple basically under low Dirk low remote LED strips the kind that they use for under dashboard and under seat lighting on custom cars I'm going to put 2 strips 1 along each side of the cap and the cap aimed straight down so that it creates an ambient light I have battery powered Direct task lighting if I need it I need it.. I tested VV light strip Since they work off of a remote control and is long as the IR receivers are close to each other which they will be in actual use then then they both will operate exactly the same using the remote controls. So that way I only have to worry about where the heck one of the remotes instead of both.

I need to go to the fabric store or probably tomorrow and get a couple of yards of material to make the curtains for the camper.
    The curtains are going to be a simple affair just just cut the size edge tape and ironed so they don't fray, and they will attach to the window frames with Velcro.

I will also make up some reflectix inserts inserts for insulating the windows for very hot or very cold weather.

Leave a comment:

• mpc
    commented on 's reply
    Do you need the full height of the new DP? Perhaps shortening the column a couple inches helps it fit your existing flip-top stands and negates the need for a soap box. Just a thought...

mpc

• dbhost
    replied
    Went out to continue pressure washing my driveway before the day heated up. And the old hose blew out. Went to Walamrt to pick up a few items including same said Garden hose. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a garden hose at Walmart in October? They apparently forgot the south exists... Anyway after digging, and digging, and digging, found one that will suffice. Got a few other doo dads and nee naws, Stuff for some BBQ tonight. Came home, put the groceries up, swapped the bad hose for the good one on the winder. I think the winders need to be repalced too. They no longer guide the hose onto the spool... They have had a pretty fair service life though...

Considering how to "get away" with going as big as a 10x20 shed since the covernants and restrictions say 10x12, but they also allow full pool enclosures and pool houses much larger than my little shop idea. I MAY have to get an architect involved and attach it to the house via a breezeway.

I am not suer sure about any of this. May hold off on that. The reason I stayed here in Houston Metro is my wife. If I can go fully remote work wise, might end up just buying land in Arizona close to Tucson or Phoenix, desert land is still pretty cheap, and put up a house and shop building. No big decisions for at least a year though right?
    Last edited by dbhost; 10-22-2022, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I am 6' tall. And I am about to dig out a tape measure. I know this will be taller than the Northern Industrial floor model, but I have to stoop to use it most of the time. The big issue I have had with the flip top stands is getting the axle dead centered. #1 is squirrely. #2 is actually pretty darned good. I will likely build #3 if the height works for the DP and mortiser, or have #3 be a redo of #1 as I am not super happy with #1. I messed it up...

Okay I paused in my typing as curiosity was killing me. From the bottom of the foot of the DP to the top of the pulley lid is 37.5"

This will side sideways in a flip top stand so I don't have to have the stand obnoxiously wide to accomodate the drill press table which is 24" even. So if I have 38.5" clearance from the table I should have more than enough clearance to flip. I might end up needing to stand on a soap box to use it though...

Mind you, all of this insanity is to eventually be able to squeeze my shop into a 10x20 shed.

Honestly it looks like I am only 1" short in my Sketchup model.

Need to honestly make up a new model for this DP, and work it though the designs. Or just wing it. Either one works... This would be interesting for a flipper though. Both the DP and mortising machines are top heavy as they both have all their important stuff at the very top... And they are not exactly featherweight tools, so flipping will require a touch of wrestling manuvers...

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    DP Not too tall for a flip top stand?
    Whats the height of the DP?
    Whats the clearance when flipped?

• dbhost
    replied
    So after it being here for a week and a half, I finally assembled the Bilt Hard 12" Variable Speed drill press. It's considerably taller than I would have thought. not quite like that freakishly tall Central Machinery 13" benchtop drill press, but still oddly tall... Now to set it aside as I spend time cleaning up my disaster of a house and shop. Digging out a big tote for the truck mod stuff and trying to get it at least into a corner of the living room. Tools go back into the shop. Scrap wood from the various projects over the last few months is going into another tote and will become campfire fodder here shortly...,

It will likely be sometime in December before I have enough cleared out, butI will be working on the flip top stand at that point. More green paint to come!

Trimmed the side panel for the electrical cabinet for the camper, sanded down to relieve the edges of the plywood so that my sleeping bag won't get snagged on it...

Tried calling the shop doing the engine work on the truck, single man operation, No answer, goes directxly t ovoicemail. Called a mutual friend, who apparently was in the ER for an afib to find out the mechanic had a minor heart attack. Stents and probabl ynot back yet... Yay... He has a Jr. tech / shop helper that can do most of the work, but for the acxtual you need your brain for ti stuff, he needs to be there...
    Last edited by dbhost; 10-21-2022, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve been working like a mad man trying to get our well house completed before the first freeze. It’s usually mid Nov but last night it was down to 36f, very unusual temp for us this early. So much for global warming.

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Got down to 45 °F in the early morning but the house was still at 71 °F when I woke up this morning around 9. Still, it was hard to get out from under the covers. Maybe I should check out the heaters.
Working...