• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Just another update to annoy people. I last used the mower on 11/15/18 and put it away for the winter, even though we haven't really had any winter weather here yet. Per Ryobi's instructions, the mower has been plugged into the charger since then. I've since learned from Ryobi that the charging system (a processor in the charger and one in the mower) monitor the batteries continuously. If the pack voltage drops below 51 volts or every 30 days (whichever comes first), the system will do a "maintenance charge" automatically. I've monitored the system and this charge runs for about 3 hours when it kicks in (less than $0.05). Also replacement batteries can be had for $150 (HD wants $202) each at this writing. Since I use less than 10% of the charge each time, the battery gurus predict I will get at least 10 years out of the original set. The gas, oil, filters, and belts savings will pay for a total battery replacement more than two times over in that period. Oh yeah, they just released a front mounted snow plow for this mower. Now we just need snow to justify one. Our next car may well be all electric too.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-03-2019, 07:06 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Carlos
      I'm not sure if that was a typo or too many mixed negatives, but Lipo/Li-Ion batteries should NOT be left on the charger. If you want them to last, and be safe, you remove them from the chargers as soon as practical to do so.
      I think it depends upon the chargers themselves. Some chargers (of Li-Ion) cut off once charging is complete and some do not. I, or rather LOML has a Li-Ion charger for her cordless vac that says specifically to take the battery out after charging, but Ryobi's Lithium Ion battery charger says this:
      "
      • "INTELLIPORT TECHNOLOGY: This charger features a maintenance mode that knows when a battery is fully charged. Once full, this unit keeps those batteries conditioned for peak performance and maximized battery life. This uses less power than other charging units that never stop loading power into a battery, wasting energy and your money."
      Last edited by leehljp; 01-03-2019, 09:46 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

You can never go wrong by removing them from the charger. You might or might not have a problem if you leave them on. Also, in nearly all cases, the charger remains warm, and cooler batteries last much longer (as shown in one of the charts I previously posted). I don't know how common it is, but there have been a few charger fires also, with batteries left in them.

The wife has an 18650 charger that claims to be intelligent and safe to leave the batteries on. She complained of batteries going bad quickly, and I found that they stayed warm after charging. I told her to set a timer for the charge cycle and always remove them. The current battery set is now at double the life of the previous ones.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

You can never go wrong by removing them from the charger. You might or might not have a problem if you leave them on. Also, in nearly all cases, the charger remains warm, and cooler batteries last much longer (as shown in one of the charts I previously posted). I don't know how common it is, but there have been a few charger fires also, with batteries left in them.

The wife has an 18650 charger that claims to be intelligent and safe to leave the batteries on. She complained of batteries going bad quickly, and I found that they stayed warm after charging. I told her to set a timer for the charge cycle and always remove them. The current battery set is now at double the life of the previous ones.
          Boy does this get confusing:

-> "Follow the directions of the manufacture . . . and you will be safe "
          or
          -> "Don't follow the directions of the manufacture . . ."

I leave my Ryobi lithium batteries in and when I forget and go back in the shop 3 to 4 days later, they are not hot; they are not warm. They are room temp. That seems to fit your requirements and Ryobi's operational specs.

As to your note on warm batteries, I do agree. When batteries stay warm in a base, there is some trickle charging going on. That is common sense judgements - something is a-miss. But I haven't experienced that with my power tools lithium chargers - Ryobi or Hitachi.

Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It's never wrong to remove them at the end of the cycle. It's sometimes wrong to leave them. Simple as that.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

It's never wrong to remove them at the end of the cycle. It's sometimes wrong to leave them. Simple as that.
              Ryobi should hire you so that you can teach them something!
              Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I wasn't talking about Ryobi or any one battery or charger. In general, for all batteries, it is ALWAYS safe to remove them when done. It may or may not be safe to leave them. Therefore it's an easy and logical habit to just always remove them. If I walk by and see a "ready" light I pop the batteries out.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

Boy does this get confusing:

-> "Follow the directions of the manufacture . . . and you will be safe "
                  This is the right answer - follow the manufacturer's directions. Leaving the batteries in can damage them and can be unsafe, if they are not designed for that, and taking the batteries out can damage them and be unsafe, again if they are not designed for that. The manufacturer knows the design and what is best for that design, so it is best to follow their directions.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by woodturner
                    and taking the batteries out can damage them and be unsafe
                    lol!!

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I got a quick look at ryobi’s new battery zero turn mower today. It was a really quick glimpse. We were walking into the Tampa Premium Outlet Mall this morning when a man zips buy on a shiny orange zero turn. I motioned for him to stop, he did, probably because I had talked to him in the Direct Tool store yesterday and he recognized me. I asked him about the mower and he explained he was taking it to a truck to be delivered somewhere for testing, and wouldn’t or couldn’t give me any info. I asked if I could take a photo and he said no.... he had to go... and he silently zipped down the sidewalk around the corner out of sight. I can’t say much about it but it was cute, looked to be residential grade and was quiet. No idea about the batteries, width of cut or anything. I inquired in Direct Tool and they only told me what he said. They may be heading into a good residential market if they can keep the price competitive.
                      capncarl

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Well, he couldn't stop you from taking a photo... You could have been the first Ryobi paparazzi!!

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

The guy kinda caught me off guard, I respected his answer of no. I could have dug my phone out of my pocket and might got a tiny picture of the mower as it rounded the corner but it wouldn’t have proved much, I figured if it is any good it will be in stores before long, and I don’t have a horse in this race anyway because it would have to have a battery as big as a forklift to cut my yard. My first impression was the mower is residential grade, suited for homeowners with 1/4 acre or less of smooth turf. My neighbors buy residential grade zero turns from Lowe’s and Home Depot to mow 3-4 acres of rough terrain and have to replace their mowers after several seasons. Everything falls apart with the rough service and 4 hour mow time. We have a long gras season, some of my neighbors have already mowed their yard this year and will do so every 2 weeks until late October. I purchased my Gravely commercial zero turn 11 years ago and have only had to replace one blade drive belt, and don’t see any sign of anything wearing out. i expect another 10 years or more of reliable service.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Maumee, OH, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Interesting. Are you sure it as a Ryobi? The Ryobi electric is not a zero turn unit and it would be hyper-green, not orange. CucCadet makes a zero turn electric and it is more of an orange color. I didn't know they were selling used RM480s yet. Did it look something like this?
                            Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-18-2019, 06:30 PM.
                            Jim Frye
                            The Nut in the Cellar.
                            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Maumee, OH, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

This one's mine on the charger for the winter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RM480 Charge 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	836137
                              Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-18-2019, 06:22 PM.
                              Jim Frye
                              The Nut in the Cellar.
                              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jan 2007
                                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                                • SawStop CTS

I asked my wife if I was correct when I said the zero turn ryobi was orange.....she asked where I got orange from?... it was green. She is a Ryobi fan and recognized the green color. It’s official, it’s green, and it was definitely a Ryobi. I stand corrected, but it was definitely zero turn.
                                capncarl

Comment

Working...