• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Metabo blades.

So dumb question.I received the Metabo HPT 12" Double Bevel sliding miter saw today (haven't unboxed it yet...), the thought occurred to me, how is the factory blade? Should I bother using the factory blade or jump straight to my favorite blades I.E. Freud Diablo? I kjnow the Diablo blade REALLY made the Chicago Electric 12" slider. and REALLY made that saw worth using, but then again the factory blade from the Chicago Elecvtric saw was absolute garbage...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

My Metabo HPT 12" miter saw (not sliding) came with a blade. Its a pretty cheap, generic blade. I immediately replaced it with a 96 or 100 T fine finish miter saw blade so I still have the original blade, unused.
    I like low or slightly negative hook blades for miter saws, so that they tend to push the work down rather than lift it up. A 15° hook angle which is common for table saw blades tends to pull the work to the blade since the blade is under the table it holds the work piece down. On a miter saw the blade is above the work so you don;t want to pull it towards the blade or it lifts off the miter saw table.

I am sure the factory blade cuts, but its not a primo blade. thin kerf 12" with 32 teeth, looks like 15°hook angle.
    Note, Hitachi power tools is now Metabo HPT
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB221145.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.2 KB ID:	853056
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-22-2022, 02:32 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...er-saw-tearout

Look at this thread. The Diablo 100T blade made a big difference.

Still only $53 at Amazon
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Highly recommend this 12" blade.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	118
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	853024
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-20-2022, 08:27 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot about that thread. Yeah the Chicago Electric blade was beyond terrible. I can grab the blade off the old saw, but... why? It needs to be cleaned and sharpened by now anyway, might as well grab a new 100T Diablo and start fresh...

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        I installed a 10” ripping blade that I use on my table saw on my Hitachi compound sliding miter saw.... and the dang thing nearly ran up my arm the first time I used it. Wrong choice. I put on a Diablo blade from Lowes that was designated for sliding miter saws. It really needs needs the negative hook.
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

LCHIEN I am really happy with what I had on the Chicago Electric, so I went ahead and ordered the 80t version. I am sure the 100t is great, just experience with the 80t.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        For general purpose use the 2 blade pack of blades that HD has on their Christmas gift display for less than $30 does a satisfactory job

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        I find that the more expensive of a blade that I put on my saw the faster I hit a nail!

• nicer20
        nicer20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where do you find blade sharpening that cheap like $26 for an 80T blade? TIA
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Well, my new Diablo blade is on its way, and the old one is at least temporarily swapped in. The process is a bit of a pain in the tail, but mostly I wanted the Metabo blade on the on Chicago Electric saw.

Gointg to clean it up a bit and post it on Craigslist and see what bites there. Christmas is coming up, and folks are broke this year, might be a good time to sell a used miter saw...

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

nicer20 I simply Google sawblade sharpening services near me And one popped up for Friendswood Texas as the 1st result. Honestly if it were over $40 I would just go ahead and buy a new blade instead Is not worth sharpening at that point.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

LCHIEN The newer metabo 12" double level slider comes factory with a 60 tooth blade Certainly much better than a 36 or 42 but I really liked the results I got with my Diablo 80 I was just wondering if I should have been lazy and left the metabo blade on there. Decision maid blade swapped we are good.

I think one of the reasons I went with the 80 instead of the 100 tooth It is because Freud claims the 80 tooth is better for everything the 100 is and they also recommended for MDF. Which is funny that I would have chosen that option because I refuse to work with MDF.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Well For what it's worth I swapped the old Diablo blade over I haven't had any issues with the way it was cutting I just figured it needed to be sharpened because of how old it was and how heavily used it was well I can tell you with absolute certainty it does not need to be sharpened.

A quick bath and some of that resin removal stuff basically simple green kind of goo in water and it cleaned right up and the car bide is still frighteningly sharp.

So the new 12" blade coming from Amazon that got delayed is probably going to be kept as a spare.

Comment

Working...