Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

UGH Compressor died

it trips the circuit breaker.
    If I just connect it momentarily, it hums really loudly but doesn't turn.
    Craftsman 4 gal oilless pancake compressor ( I think made by deVilbis for Sears).

Yeah, so maybe starting capacitor bad or shorted? If not the cap them maybe the centrifugal switch is bad.

What else should I check?

I presume if the motor was shorted it would simply trip the breaker real fast and not hum like it does.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-24-2022, 08:03 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

No direct experience with it, but it sounds like the way my old AC unit was behaving when the start cap went bad...It would hum, then throw the breaker...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Question: Are you using an extension cord? Old circuit breaker? A long time ago, I gave a new but small HF air compressor (5 gallon size) to my son in law. He said it didn't work. He took it back to HF and got another one. It didn't work either. I asked him if he was using and extension cord? he said "Yes". I told it him it was too small, He needed at least a 14 gauge cord but probably a 12. He didn't know the difference.

The point is as you know, the air compressor draws a heavy load to start, and even a bad circuit breaker can cause that.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Has a 12 ga extension cord. Worked for years.
        Hums for a while before tripping the breaker.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-23-2022, 12:37 AM.
    • cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

If the starting capacitor was failing, I'm not sure it you'd hear that loud hum, but since I don't own a pancake compressor I'm not sure. It indicates to me, that the motor is possibly overloaded, trying to start and push the piston but can't because of possible back pressure. IF, that is the case then perhaps the pressure relief valve has failed and/or the check-valve is leaking pressure back from the tank into the compressor cylinder.

The 'pressure relief valve' operates when the compressor shuts down (after the tank reaches operating pressure); you can hear it blow-off the pressure, in the line running from the cylinger to the tank,after every shutdown. It's purpose is to relieve the pressure in the cylinder so that on start-up there is no back-pressure against the piston and thus remove any resistance to the motor. IF that pressure is relieved, the motor will stall and you'll get that louder hum as it's trying to overcome the resistance. The pressure relief valve is triggered by the pressure switch which senses that the tank has reached maximum operating pressure. When that happens, it shuts off the power to the motor and at the same time triggers the pressure relief valve to open, relieving the pressure in the feed line to the tank.

The check valve is located at the end of the line running from the cylinder to the tank, it is usually threaded into the tank at the end of the feed line. It's purpose is to prevent pressure from leaking back into the feed line from the tank. It the check valve does not seat properly, the air will bleed back out of the tank, into the feed line and back into the cylinder where, like a failed 'pressure relief valve' will cause the motor to stall on start-up because it can't overcome the pressure in the cylinder. Often that can be discovered by simply opening the drain-valve at the bottom of the tank and dumping any pressure. Doing so should dump the pressure in the tank and also in the feed line from the compressor cylinder.

I hope this helps,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Tank is empty. not the unloading valve
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't think it's the unloading valve because the tank is zero pressure having all bled off and showing zero.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Trouble-shoot air compressor problems, find out the cause, get a solution. The compressor place to go when you want to know.

Probalby not much help, but that is what I got for now...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Oddly, that does not suggest motor failure and or start capacitor failure (part of motor) which is probably a frequent cause of failures of compressors and any induction motor equipment.
      • Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

My money is on the start capacitor. I used to have a shop built compressor and the motor did what you described. A new capacitor fixed it.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          That's my first thing to check. Be a bit before I tear into it. Lots going on here.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Oddly enough this very same compressor was featured here in 2006 as having failed and been repaired.
        At least it worked for 16 years after the first repair.

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...ressor-problem
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-18-2022, 01:45 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Any progress on diagnosing / repairing the compressor?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nah, all workshop stuff is on hold as we are packing up the kitchen. Pantry dining room breakfast room utility and entry for new tile floor and complete repainting. Major task.

Rented a containter now sitting in the driveway to store all the stuff we had

But I am pretty sure it will be the start cap is bad.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looked up my records. Bought 1998. Repaired 2008 broken clamp/counterweight pulley. Today no parts available any of the parts places. Think it shares parts with deVilbiss models but they are all long gone.

even when parts were available no start caps; had to buy the whole motor.

I did find a couple of places with the motor but they wanted $370-400 before shipping.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-22-2022, 01:33 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like it might be time to put that thing out to pasture... Sorry...
            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. Perhaps match it up to something from one of hte electrical supply places? Of just replace the entire thing with an oil lubed HF 10 gallon compressor?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have avoided oiled air compressors. for the following reasons
                1. dont have to mess with or change oil... zero maintenance. How often do you change oil?
                2. low usage dont' need more things to maintain
                3. don't need air filter for oil water content... more items to maintain, and still get oil free air for general blowing and light duty spraying
                Yeah I add drops of oil to my air tools as needed and yeah, its noisier, being oilless.
                I also like the footprint of my pancake compressor. Kinda like this only black
                Click image for larger version

Name:	300_photo_919152145.png
Views:	235
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	850863

I still need to open it up and look at the caps. I think its easy to do once I pull the Air compressor out from under the table where it lives.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Anyone have experience with this HF model?

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-gall...Q1In0%3D%0D%0A

Click image for larger version  Name:	56829_W3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	850865

or this similar Metabo/Hitachi
                  https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-HPT-Pa...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

Click image for larger version  Name:	Metabo compressor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.4 KB ID:	850866
                  Metabo is 159; HF is 159 on sale today for 129.

Both chinese made. Similar specs.

WHat else can go wrong with a twice repaired 24 year old compressor? If I fix it? Forget it and get a new one?
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-22-2022, 03:33 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Since it was a sale that ended today I picked up the HF figuring I can return it in 90 days.

Hopefully in the next few days I can open the broken compressor and check the caps. If it is the caps I can repair it and return the HF. If its not the caps and more complex or costly, I'll dump it and use the HF if it runs OK.

Thinking if I should open it and see if it runs.
                    Does it need a break in period?
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                      commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I honestly do not know about the Fortress brand. HOWEVER I am more than satisfied with my Central Pnuematics. At what, 10 and 12 years old respectively and run through what I would consider medium duty service, not full time pro use by any means, but FAR more use than probably 90% of homeowner / weekend warrior types use their for, and holding up just nicely. Now on to your direct question, does it need a break in period. Not sure. In my manuals it said to oil it, run for an hour or so don't recall, then change the oil. I actually did this procedure 2x on each, THEN just ran them like normal. Like I said servicing them once a year. The 8 gallon gets such infrequent use that honestly it does NOT get the annual oil change like it should. Probably hasn't been done since 2017...
                  Working...