• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Air compressor problem

OK, I need help - all you air compressor experts.

My 4 Gal pancake oilless compressor, Sears Craftsman "Professional" (black model), when I turn it on the motor just spins, sounds completely unloaded, when I unplug it, it coasts for a while to a stop. No air pressure, of course.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, the manual has a trouble shooting section but that symptom is not listed. I'm not real familiar with these devices.

What does it sound like? I would assume the induction motor is direct coupled to the compressor pump reciprocating cylinder. Is there a linkage that broke? A shear pin or something to prevent locking up the motor?

Or maybe the piston is actually pumping but with no load (air inlet blocked, check valve problem, what?)

Your help appreciated.

(maybe I should head on down to Rockler and get the $129 PC pancake compressor and brad nailer combo for $129...)
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-26-2006, 09:49 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Loring, as you very well know, troubleshooting something like this with a vague description is pretty near impossible. If it's the same pump unit that my craftsman 60g had, then it could be any number of things from a sticking intake/exhaust valve in the pump head, to blown rings (they were only nylon IIRC), to a blown unloader valve, to a shear pin on the motor connection.

As much as I'd like to help, I'm afraid you're just going to have to tear into it ... I'm an audio/visual type of guy, even hearing what it's doing over the phone would help a TREMENDOUS amount, but you're still going to find yourself tearing into it either way.

a few tips for trouble shooting,

1.) if you can, disconnect the exhaust line into the tank and put your finger over the fitting at the compressor head, you should feel some sort of pressure with the unit running

2.) if this is the oilless unit that I'm thinking of, rip the plastic shroud off, I think the bottom of the piston is exposed and you should be able to see if it's reciprocating or not

If you don't have pressure at the exhaust side of the head, but the piston is indeed reciprocating, then chance are pretty good it's either a stuck valve or blown rings.

HTH
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

a friend of mine had the same problem. the exhaust valve had a bit of debris holding it open. easy fix.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Hook
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Make sure the drain value at the bottom of the tank is closed. If the drainvalue is open the compressor will run but the air will just run out.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, after taking the cover off and trying to run it the problem soon jumped out at me.
          The unit is direct drive, there's an "eccentric bearing" which is a bar clamped to the motor shaft. There is a hole in the middle of the bar for the motor shaft and one end is slotted to the hole and a bolt spanning the slot to tighten the part to the motor shaft. A bearing on the the end of the part attaches to a crank arm that is connected to the piston.

The crank arm was not moving tho the motor was running. Upon close inspection the eccentric bearing had a crack in it that intersected the slot and rendered the clamping action ineffective. the motor shaft was just spinning in the hole.

The parts looks to be machined brass, not a casting, and the cross section that cracked is about 1/2" x 1/2" I'd have to say its unlikely that I stressed this and it was a latent defect, but its well out of warranty.

Sears parts: $16 plus $10 shipping.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Sears parts: $16 plus $10 shipping.
            I'm impressed that the part is actually available. R U going to fix it? The shipping is a killer in terms of percentage of total.

Comment

• Cheeky
              • Nov 2006
              • westchester cty, new york
              • Ridgid TS2400LS

Is that one made by PC, Campbell H, Ingersoll maybe? I know there used to be a website to cross-reference manuf. of Craftsman tools....maybe you could save some dough on parts.

I'll try and find the reference.

see if this helps
              Last edited by Cheeky; 12-29-2006, 12:23 AM.
              Pete

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, now I need more advise.
                The first pic shows the cracked part (Eccentric bearing).
                The second pic shows the assembly.
                I have to get the crank arm off the eccentric bearing.
                Since it has no side play, it appears I have to take off the piston head/cylinder (the part at the top with the heat fins),
                removing the high pressure fitting and the four bolts that hold it.

Is there a problem with doing this - what is the seal for the head? A gasket?
                Is it easy to reassemble?
                Attached Files
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Thom2
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Stevens, PA, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22124

Should just be a gasket for the head sealing, probably just a paper gasket. Take your time and be wery wery careful to not rip it.

Disassembly/Reassembly should be pretty straight-forward.

Comment

• Cheeky
                    • Nov 2006
                    • westchester cty, new york
                    • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Is there a problem with doing this - what is the seal for the head? A gasket?
                    Is it easy to reassemble?

Is this illustrated on the Sears parts' site?
                    Pete

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

If you ripe the gasket, or it's damaged, or you want to replace it for the heck of it. You could get a generic gasket sheet and cut it to fit. They use to sell them at auto parts stores. I'm sure they still make them. Take the old gasket, or whats left of it, and use it as a pattern. To save time you could forget some of the holes / slots /cuts since the same gasket is probably used for several items.

Um Loring, don't use your router with a pattern bit to cut it, use a very sharp knife.
                      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Thom2
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Stevens, PA, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by TheRic
                        You could get a generic gasket sheet and cut it to fit. They use to sell them at auto parts stores. I'm sure they still make them.
                        They still come FREE on the front AND back of EVERY cereal box

you really wouldn't believe how many times I've made gaskets from tablet backs and cereal boxes

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by Thom2
                          They still come FREE on the front AND back of EVERY cereal box
                          you really wouldn't believe how many times I've made gaskets from tablet backs and cereal boxes
                          I thought about mentioning that, and file folders but didn't want to overwhelm him. Besides the back of his cereal boxes probably already have the games cut out so he can play the game before the box is empty.
                          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Cheeky
                            Is that one made by PC, Campbell H, Ingersoll maybe? I know there used to be a website to cross-reference manuf. of Craftsman tools....maybe you could save some dough on parts.

I'll try and find the reference.

see if this helps
                            http://www.owwm.com/Craftsman/Manufacturers.asp

DeVilbiss made it.

Looks very like their 100E4D-1 down to the individual parts, but with some small differences.... Hmmm
                            But the part number is identical (AC-0140), but is $32.62 Plus shipping. vs. $15.55 + shipping for the same part at Sears.
                            Cheeky suggested the PC C5100 compressor was similar, sure enough it uses the same eccentric, but the online supplier for Porter Cable, Toolpartsdirect.com wants 46.42 for the part withthe exact same number AC-0140.
                            So Sears is a LOT cheaper than the parts dealers (like M&S) for DeVilbiss or toolpartsdirect for PC.
                            OTOH it wasn't time wasted, the Devilbiss parts diagram had all the torques specified for the bolts in the compressor area.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-29-2006, 04:12 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Cheeky, here's the exploded diagrams from Sears:

http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImageP...&titleID=00002&
                              http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImageP...&titleID=00001&

Ric: I can't use my router? Really?

Thom: Got it. Thanks.

CG: its a heck of a lot cheaper than a new one.

Picture of broken part attached. It's steel, not brass, and
                              the cross section where it broke is like .575 x .512" - ought to be pretty strong!
                              ( I suppose all that steel to the left side is supposed to be a counterbalance to the bearing and piston, to keep the vibration down - doesn't work all that well ).

Thanks to all. I hope they have the part in stock. It's a **** of a mess now spread all over my working area. [P.S. 4-7 business days to deliver]
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2006, 03:47 AM. Reason: update delivery avail.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...