Do any castors survive long-term stationary load, for occasionally needed mobility?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Oh, and yes, I know my shop needs a cleaning VERY MUCH, but I've been doing garden projects and motorcycling while the weather is nice and neglecting the wood hobbies.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Am I missing something? I don't see how that bottom picture of Carlos possibly works.
      Clearly its supporting the device as the leveling foot is up in the air.
      But it can't roll. its trapped; and it can't swivel, the bearing is not in the horizontal plane. No roll, no swivel, what's it doing?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Hah, I thought you were crazy then looked back at the pic. I didn't even notice that the wheel had been kicked under. Here's how it actually looks when it hasn't been kicked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7894.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	842321

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

And the lock nut on the stationary foot is supposed to be jammed against the bracket to keep it from changing height once leveled, not uselessly run all the way down to the foot.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            And the lock nut on the stationary foot is supposed to be jammed against the bracket to keep it from changing height once leveled, not uselessly run all the way down to the foot.
            You just solved the problem I've been having with my router table for years. I didn't move it often enough to really think about it until the feet started dragging halfway through the move.

Name:	picard-double-facepalm-o.gif
Views:	130
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	842340
            Chr's

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've been tweaking the level to get it just right. It's amazing how much the floor level varies in a couple inches. You can also see that my dot is missing, because I'm rethinking the landing spot based on finding the flattest exact locations. I had those non-slip Fastcap dots on the floor to mark the location and to keep it from moving at all.

Also, I think my design is pretty cool. It keeps all my power drivers/drills at hand, all of them chucked with all the bits needed for a job. Bit holder right there. The top has a coffee table type hinge mechanism so that there's convenient project parts holding right there. The coffee table hinge keeps it flat so there's still a surface, and it raises it well enough to use standing. I can roll the whole thing out to a project as needed.

Name:	IMG_6150.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	842345

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's a very good looking rolling bench, Carlos!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

My bandsaw, 8" jointer and edge sander all ride on custom lifts with 2" Darnell-Rose casters. Expensive but worth it to me. I used 3 1/2" polyurethane casters from Grizzly under my DP cart, router station and tool cart.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I don’t think it is the load on the poly casters that make them break. I believe it is a factor of time where the ester base urethane, being hydroscopic, which means it absorbs water. During its life span the material pulls moisture from the surrounding air which breaks down the polymer chains. Eventually the plastic shrinks, cracks and falls apart.

I do not think that it is a bad idea to jack up a cart of work bench to take the load off of the poly tire. It can’t hurt and may extend its life.

I have seen used caster tires stored in my shop closet crack and fall off. They were possibly over 10 yrs old or older.

Comment

Working...