• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Shop is one step closer

Just got the inspection results for electrical to the shop. Passed and the lines should be pulled from the transformer within two weeks.
    While waiting for the panel to be powered, the son brought over his 7500W generator so I wired up the 220V shop heater last night. Want to get that running to warm it up enough to get some extra spray can foam shot into the gaps.
    Will also be able to power up some of the tools to get some trim work taken care of, and a couple of the small projects the wife wants done for the new house.
    Then it is just a matter of waiting on the weather to get the spray insulation taken care of and I'll be moving in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stan; 11-22-2022, 09:42 PM.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice.. I would love to sell this house and find a smaller house on a nice piece of land that I could build one of those on.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by dbhost
      Very nice.. I would love to sell this house and find a smaller house on a nice piece of land that I could build one of those on.
      Took a good number of years, but we finally found a place that met almost all our needs. The only major thing missing was a shop, but building one from scratch has been rewarding.
      Everything was moving right along until about a month ago and then scheduling and supplies became issues. Should have already been in the shop and setting up tools, but now it looks like early spring before that can happen.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I am in a developed subdivision that is bordered by older, well, not HOA subdivision neighborhood. The lots those houses are on are typically 3 acres or so. There is one particular house, set back from the road with plenty of land, and it actually has a workshop building. I think the guy that owned it was a race car builder as his hobby. Anyway my wife and I LOVE that property, and the old house. It IS up on the market I beleive as part of an estate liquidatation, but honestly, unless I win the lotto, not gonna happen. The house need lots of TLC, and even as it sits it will probably fetch half a million... Honestly if I could get fiber / high speed cable internet and work remotely, I know where there are similar properties, literally just out in the boonies that I can grab for less than $150K on 5-10 acres... The issue is proximity to jobs...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Wow, $150K for 5-10 acres, if that includes a house with even a small shop - that would be simply amazing.
          Haven't seen prices like that around here for decades.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            Those properties are almost completely off grid. They have power, water is from a well, and sewer is a septic system. It is more or less middle of nowhereville with a house, shop building would have to be built. Like I said, I love that property by me and that house, but I just can't see myself forking over for a new house without a winning lotto ticket...
        • Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Uhhh... we have power, a well and a septic system.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

But you're not in the highly desirable he says sarcastically area of Bedais TX... I think the only employer anywhere near there is the state prison outside of Huntsville.. It's kind of the middle of nowhere's ville and not much agriculture is being done in the area so the land isn't very valuable I mean yeah it's not nothing but it's not super expensive.

In all fairness I guess it's been a smile and I haven't paid attention to property values a friend of mine had a small house and shop building kind of thing it was actually a very large dog kennel his ex wife was a breeder in 10 acres in bedi In all fairness I guess it's been a smile and I haven't paid attention to property values a friend of mine had a small house and shop building kind of thing it was actually a very large dog kennel his ex wife was a breeder in 10 acres in Bedais guess they sold it home about 8 years ago for a $150000 of course values have gone up since then but 5 to 10 acres without the buildings is going for about that much right now.

Honestly if I didn't have to go in to town to make a living it would be heaven to me. Fairly isolated I could literally hunt whitetail deer from my back porch and have plenty of space for a shop....

My friend when he own that property happened to be a high school teacher in Magnolia Texas so he had a fairly long commute over some very bad roads.

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221202_102040.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	853174 Finally got the panel installed today. Ain't she a beaut!
              Last edited by Stan; 12-02-2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have an outside the building main?

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Love it! Now on to the next steps!
            • LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

How many and what circuits and breakers will you have ? What will they power?
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black walnut
                Administrator
                • Aug 2015
                • BT3K

Looks like a good start Stan.
                just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Stan
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                  • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by Black walnut
                  Looks like a good start Stan.
                  Thanks! Doesn't look like everything will be done until spring - insulation being the holdup. Figure by April I will be able to start setting up tools.

Comment

• Stan
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    How many and what circuits and breakers will you have ? What will they power?
                    A lot of that will be determined as I start finalizing the shop layout. But the panel will power everything in the shop plus a few outside circuits. Pretty sure there are plenty of breaker slots for my needs.

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

My little shop is 12 x 20 and I have at present three circuits in there from my garage panel which is adjacent to the shed. When we bought this house we had the old service upgraded from a 100 amp fused panel to a 200 amp circuit breaker and a few years later we took out the overhead wiring to the detached garage and had a 100 amp CB panel installed there and fed underground from the house. When I had the shed put in for the shop I located it immediately to the right side of the garage and I wired it to the garage panel.

Since I'm the only one working there, about the only two things running simultaneously are the shop vac and one tool at a time. I have my overhead lights (all LEDs) on one 15-amp circuit and two separate 20 amp circuits for power tools (one circuit along each of the two 20-ft walls (table saw, drill press, RAS, and router table on one circuit and on the other wall where the benches are, outlets for handheld tools and my small band saw. The fourth 20 amp circuit is for the future, perhaps the 3D printer if it ever arrives. I also keep a couple of smaller lights in the tool circuits.

The idea is that you want your main lights separate from your tool circuits. You don't want a tool to trip a breaker and find yourself in the dark.

CWS
                      Last edited by cwsmith; 12-05-2022, 07:37 PM. Reason: Redundant statement.
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Stan
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

cwsmith, sounds like you have your shop electrical nailed down... excellent.

Comment

• Dedpedal
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2020
                          • Palm Coast Florida
                          • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Looks great! I’m still trying to add to my garage to increase my shop space. 12x12 is cramped.

Comment

Working...