• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan
    commented on 's reply
    Sheet metal it is.

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    If you run the sheet metal to the ground it will probably not be strong enough and bend inward. I enclosed a portion of my shed with pine fence planks matching my neighbors and my own fence. It probably has the strength to withstand snow side load.

• Stan
    commented on 's reply
    Yikes, that is almost twice the cost of my shop.

• Stan
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lean-To Snow.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	853237

Looks like something is going to have to be done with the lean-to exterior walls to keep snow from coming off the roof and into the lean-to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shop Lean-To Snow buildup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.8 KB ID:	853236
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stan; 12-12-2022, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dedpedal
    commented on 's reply
    I’m in the small corner of a three car garage for now. We got a bid to add on for 70k. That’s a bit out of our budget so I’m trying to convince my wife that her car can stay outside so I can have more area to work.

• Stan
    replied
    Well, we were one step closer.... Electric co-op informed me today they are having supply issues with transformers, and apparently the box I need to have power pulled from needs an upgraded transformer.
    So now it appears I am at least 2 months out to get power.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    Love it! Now on to the next steps!

• Stan
    replied
    Dedpedal, understood on wanting to increase shop size. How are you planning on doing that? Expand the existing structure - or build/move to a new structure?

Leave a comment:

• Dedpedal
    replied
    Looks great! I’m still trying to add to my garage to increase my shop space. 12x12 is cramped.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    cwsmith, sounds like you have your shop electrical nailed down... excellent.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    My little shop is 12 x 20 and I have at present three circuits in there from my garage panel which is adjacent to the shed. When we bought this house we had the old service upgraded from a 100 amp fused panel to a 200 amp circuit breaker and a few years later we took out the overhead wiring to the detached garage and had a 100 amp CB panel installed there and fed underground from the house. When I had the shed put in for the shop I located it immediately to the right side of the garage and I wired it to the garage panel.

Since I'm the only one working there, about the only two things running simultaneously are the shop vac and one tool at a time. I have my overhead lights (all LEDs) on one 15-amp circuit and two separate 20 amp circuits for power tools (one circuit along each of the two 20-ft walls (table saw, drill press, RAS, and router table on one circuit and on the other wall where the benches are, outlets for handheld tools and my small band saw. The fourth 20 amp circuit is for the future, perhaps the 3D printer if it ever arrives. I also keep a couple of smaller lights in the tool circuits.

The idea is that you want your main lights separate from your tool circuits. You don't want a tool to trip a breaker and find yourself in the dark.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 12-05-2022, 07:37 PM. Reason: Redundant statement.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Originally posted by LCHIEN
    How many and what circuits and breakers will you have ? What will they power?
    A lot of that will be determined as I start finalizing the shop layout. But the panel will power everything in the shop plus a few outside circuits. Pretty sure there are plenty of breaker slots for my needs.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Originally posted by Black walnut
    Looks like a good start Stan.
    Thanks! Doesn't look like everything will be done until spring - insulation being the holdup. Figure by April I will be able to start setting up tools.

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    replied
    Looks like a good start Stan.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    How many and what circuits and breakers will you have ? What will they power?

Leave a comment:

Working...