Simple DIY Shop Made items for use in the shop - what have you made?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound

I look forward to seeing your pic/video as I have been searching for a good DC option of my DP.
    Posted! Go to the post #18 in this thread.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Relative
      Established Member
      • Mar 2007
      • Garden Grove, CA
      • Ridgid R4512

Handy chisel racks. Hang out of the way and portable to where I need them.
      Attached Files
      Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Relative
        Established Member
        • Mar 2007
        • Garden Grove, CA
        • Ridgid R4512

Mini bench. Raise up small items to work on or move it anywhere for a handy workbench.
        Attached Files
        Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Relative
          Established Member
          • Mar 2007
          • Garden Grove, CA
          • Ridgid R4512

The plug. Quick and easy way to size the vac to the port.
          Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            I made one same idea to connect 1/14" hose to odd port on belt sander. Why do they make so many odd port sizes? The tricky part is tapering the plug just a little so it fits.
        • Relative
          Established Member
          • Mar 2007
          • Garden Grove, CA
          • Ridgid R4512

Router table stop blocks, bit safety shield, hold-downs. All adjustable in every way I could think of.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Relative
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Garden Grove, CA
            • Ridgid R4512

Pocket hole jig. This idea came from a magazine article - make some modifications. The pocket hole tool is from HF. Makes for a very nice platform to use the tool and store items for it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the way it folds up for storage
          • Relative
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Garden Grove, CA
            • Ridgid R4512

Couple miscellaneous items. Spline jig. Jig to set width for cutting narrow strips. Found the roller bearing tip works better than the UHMW tip. Shooting board. Clamp blocks for squaring up.

Mike
            Attached Files

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Just knocked a new one together. A quick and simple glue bottle holder for Gorilla Glue. Not a table top rig though. I wanted it mounted out of the way...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's a drill press jig I use to drill vertical pieces.- square, round, or even edges of small boards.
                Even though its a few inches high you can use it to squarely drill pieces much taller.
                Carefully attach pieces at right angles measured with engineer's squares and clamped while assembling. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170117_172116sm.jpg Views:	2 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	829088

I undercut or bevel the bottom edges of fences so dust buildup and edge fuzz doesn't throw your pieces off and keep piece faces from contacting the fence intimately.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20170117_172128sm.jpg Views:	2 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	829089

Clamp the workpiece to the vertical fences to ensure that the drill is parallel to the sides of the workpiece be it a cylinder or a rectangle.
                THis does not rely on the ends being cut squarely as long as you have made your drill press table perfectly perpendicular to the drill bit!
                Works well for cutting multiple pieces - clamp the jig in place to your drill press table and drill multiple pieces effortlessly.
                You can make a taller jig as necessary, this one is probably good for stiff pieces up to a foot or 18 inches I would guess.
                Usually good for drilling holes from both ends to meet in the middle if you use the same two faces for registration. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170117_172027sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	829087
                Attached Files
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-05-2020, 11:17 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                  Storage shelf for sandpaper disks which I use for sanding bowls. Has a clear hinged door to keep out shavings, and a HF magnetic strip on the back, so I can orient it vertically, or horizontally.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n826917[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n826918[/ATTACH]
                  Love this!
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's another item I find useful that's very simple to build and use.

How many of you need to do some very narrow rips? I'm talking about making strips that are 3/8" or so square. Pretty scary when you contemplate doing it. Click image for larger version  Name:	push block 1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	183.7 KB ID:	829156

This is a sacrificial push block, shown bottom side up above. Its just a scrap piece of about 12" long 2x4. I crosscut the last 1/2" and screwed it back on the end shifted about 3/16 to 1/4" off. This gives the hook to catch the end of the workpiece.

As you can see I've used it for many narrow rips - you set the blade so it cuts into the bottom of the sacrificial push block and the height is just above the workpiece thickness. Place the workpiece right up the fence. Use a ZCTP for sure! Because you want your workpiece to be fully supported!

Place the push block on top of the workpiece with the hook at the tail end of the workpiece.

For narrow pieces I use an even thinner piece of scrap to push the workpiece to the fence as I place the block on the workpiece to make sure the width is cut right; to do that the workpiece and the push block have to be flush to the fence. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170131_141520sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	829157

I really use the thumb on one side of the block and four fingers on the other side. Make sure as you push the block stays flush to the fence.
                    Your fingers will be safe as they are on either side of the blade, and the blade will be buried in the block, The blade will exit out the rear of the block so keep your hands away from the rear of the block.
                    Note that if you used screws to attach the hook piece, place the screws up high! The push block is tall enough to keep your hands clear!
                    The thin scrap of wood in the foreground I used to push the strip all the way against the fence as I place the push block on top, Then I remove the thin scrap so it doesn't drag along. Not enough hands here - using one to hold the camera..

In the picture above I am cutting down a 3/8" x less than 1/2" wide workpiece to a 3/8" x 3/8" square, you can just see the tip of the piece in front of the push block; the hook is pushing the other end.

When it gets too chewed up, make another one!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-04-2017, 09:55 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                      tfischer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pics aren't working for me either. I'm curious to see them though... when I need narrow rips I use my Grrrippers

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Should work now. I'm afraid I linked the pics to an location on my computer first time so they showed up for me. Now they are in the SDZ server, I hope.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-10-2021, 01:11 AM.

• atgcpaul
                      atgcpaul commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Loring, I actually have the same "jig"--a 2x4 offcut I use as a pushstick when I need to make thin rips. I normally use an aluminum pushstick but I don't want to get that close to the blade with metal--even though it's not a Sawstop.

I also have a Gripper but I don't have enough practice with it to use it comfortably for thin rips.
                  • LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Updated the pics in the preceeding post. since you guys couldn't see them. Should be 2 pics visible.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

That's a neat jig, much cheaper than a Grrrippper. But I loved my Grrripper so much that I got a second one so I can do longer rips with the hand-over-hand technique

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Continued in Part II

This is a continuation of a post thread from a couple of years ago https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/discussions/shop-setup-layout-and-design/826693-simple-shop-made-items-for-use-in-the-shop-what-have-you-made/page (https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/discussions/shop-setup-layout-and-design/826693-simple-shop-made-items-for-use
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Wedic1
                          Forum Newbie
                          • May 2021
                          • USA
                          • Bosch table saw GTS1031

I'm planning to do the little Home DIY, It's a little phone case stand, but I haven't design yet and I finding light and perfect wood for it!
                          I think phone case should be similar like smallest chair!
                          give me some suggestion to do better!

Comment

Working...