• Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2009
    • Medina, OH
    • Sears 315.228110

What Are You Using For Dust Collection

What Are You Using For Dust Collection? Right now I just have a middle of the road shop vac, but as long as I take the time to hook it up, its doing a good job. I don't have a system setup though so I have to just connect the vac to whatever tool I'm using.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Using a shopvac on the rear port of the BT3 captures a lot of the dust.
    It doesn't get it all, you still have to clean the insides of your saw in my experience.
    You have dust inside the saw and also some tossed out the top.

I use a HF 2HP DC connected with two 4" hoses to my BT3. one to a reducer and to the rear port and a second one connected to a belly pan underneath. THis keeps the saw very clean inside but there's still some dust tossed off the top esp when you do final sizing rip cuts under 1/16th inch.

The quality of the job depends a lot upon the goal. If your desire is to limit sweeping, a DC will do. If your objective to to make the shop as dust free as possible, for either housekeeping reasosn or health reasons, then a shop vac does not have the air flow (about 1/10th of a good DC) required to suck in all the fines that would otherwise go flying out of a saw or tool. This really requires optimizing total air flow (CFMs) plus air velocity out the cutting area of the tool (by modifying the opening sizes) and the port sizes on the tools and its effects on the CFM and velocities i mention above.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-11-2009, 02:13 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have a JET DC-650 that handles the router table, tablesaw, and planer. I have nothing connected to my jointer and just sweep up when it is done. My miter saw is attached to a shop vac with an auto switch. I use the shop vac with any hand held tools when I remember.
      Chr's

Comment

• Relative
        Established Member
        • Mar 2007
        • Garden Grove, CA
        • Ridgid R4512

Outside DC

I use a HF 2HP DC that I installed in a small OUTSIDE attachment to the shed I use for a shop. That way, any fine dust that gets through the final bag is let into an area I rarely frequent. Built a thru-the-wall manifold with multiple connection points to get around the inside of the shop. Also use a garbage can installed in that outside attachment room to pick up the bigger stuff before it hits the DC.

Found that cardboard rug rolls (free at local HD after the carpet is gone) makes for cheap, smooth runs of the vacuum line.

A side benefit is the outside room becomes a good place to stack up various tree truck sections in the corners to dry out without using shop space.

Mike
        Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Use the site's search engine and you will be swamped with more info than you will believe!! No rant on you at all, bru. There's a ton of easy to digest info and a bunch of suggestions with what folks have found works for them. If you start now you should be done by, oh say, Tuesday... evening. LOL! Take notes! I've been using Mike's thru-the-wall set up too.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by brubakes
            What Are You Using For Dust Collection?
            My sinuses...

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

I use a shop vac. My testing indicated the DC moved a little more than twice the CFM (though a 4" pipe) that my shop vac was able to muster through a 2.5" hose.

I'd like to have both, but only have room for one. Because the DC doesn't handle hand-held tools, the decision to use the shop vac was the obvious one for me.

I use the shop vac (with a dust collection network and my cyclone lid) with my table saw and router, my Inca jointer/planer, a Ryobi 16/32 sander, as well as my bandsaw and Ridgid oscillating belt sander. It works incredibly well.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I use a ShopVac with hepa filter. It does a decent job, but I also wear a mask.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• shoottx
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2008
                  • Plano, Texas
                  • BT3000

Shop Vac

Makita Dust collector - Connects to each woodworking machine

Built a garbage can cyclone for use with both the above

And a Ridgid Air cleaner hung over head.

Still looking for a good deal for a bigger dust collector.
                  Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Schleeper
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008

I use the 2HP Harbor Freight collector, modified with the Wynn conversion kit and Loring's neutral vane design. It's connected to my BT3, and either the jointer or planer.

I've also got a small shop vac that I use with the Kreg pocket screw jig, Shark Guard port, routers, and jig saw.

The SCMS has its own bag, as do the various sanders I own.
                    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I am a firm believer in dust collection / control. My system is far from complete, but I currently have (from the tool in to the collection unit).

#1. Shop built 2.5" hoses with screw on ends. Materials obtained from Peachtree, but most woodworking supply shops will have the stuff. I bought my hose in a 50 foot roll so I could make my hoses to the lengths I wanted. The connection for the table saw is split with a Rockler 2.5" wyle (actually it will be next weekend, they were out, and had to order more in).
                      #2. Shop Vac brand Sawdust collection system. Same thing as the Ridgid Clean Shop Network, but with yellow gates instead of Orange... I got mine on SALE... If I had to do it over again, I would get some standard 2.5" blast gates, and plumb it with 2.5" regular PVC. The shop vac stuff measures 2" O.D. and is too small IMHO...
                      #3. Shop Built Thien Cyclone separator lid, on a 20 gallon galvanized trash can, set in a Shop built cyclone stacker. Note that the hoses feeding into and out of the stacker have been replaced with MUCH shorter shop built versions that feature smooth radii so that the CFM drop is minimal.

#4. Ridgid 12 gallon wet / dry vac with HEPA filter...

I also use a standard 20" box fan with a Filtrete 20x20 allergen 1 micron filter to pull the fines out of the air...

Future upgrades taht I was hoping to handle this weekend but didn't have the budget for are...

Similar setup based on 4" hose, blast gates and S&D pvc all hooked up to a Delta 50-760 DC with the Thien Cyclone for that stuffed right under the motor with a jumper of 4" hose connecting the two...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

I have the Delta 50-760 I am very happy with it. As much as I would like a fixed ducted system as my shop is also my garage and the tools wheel out when needed I just connect the DC to whichever one I am using at the time. I also have a shop vac and use it with smaller tools and sanders as well as attached to the dust port on my Shark Guard.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

I have a nice ridgid 16 gal vac with a hepa that gets used for the tablesaw and planer and sander on occasion. my "shop" is my driveway so I don't have much of an air quality problem, I just want to control chips.
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

I have the 2HP HF with Wynn Filter. I also have a 5 Gallon, 5HP shopvac with a drywall bag inside connected to a chip separator. I am not convinced the DC does any better than the shopvac on a 2 1/2" connector like on the BT3/21829.

I have a very small shop and I need to keep my DC outside the door. Since the shopvac is more convenient, I often use it instead if I am just using the TS.

The DC does a much better job with my router table (4" connection to the cabinet and a 2 1/2" at the fence), jointer and planer.

So far, nothing works satisfactorily with my MS or my lathe. I have pretty much given up on the MS and still thinking about how best to deal with the lathe.

I have wood allergies, so I always wear a respirator.

Doug Kerfoot
                            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• JeffG78
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                              • BT3100

I was getting by with a Shop Vac, but I got a 50-720 for Christmas. I haven't used it too much, but it works okay so far. Unfortunately, it's probably not powerful enough to use with ducts, so I'll have to wheel it around and just use 4" flex hose.

Comment

Working...