X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I use a HF 2 hp DC piped to the tool using 3" RV hose. It will handle 2 tools at the same time IE the bt3000 and planer or router table. I also run a 1500 cfm fine dust collector made from a furnace blower and 20x20x4" pleated filter. the fine dust collector is part of the table saw base.

I also use a sanding table that is piped with a 4" straight pipe from the DC. This is used alone without other tools being open to the DC.

The fine particle collector runs any time I'm operating any of the dust generating equipment.

I have very little dust problems in a 12X20 shop.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by cgallery
      Yeah, but as soon as you're done cutting, you have a 2.5" hose in your face that is evacuating the air above the table.
      I usually turn off the DC right after the cut, so I don't get much "air filter" benefit.

Define "normal cut" . "Trimming a smidgen" is a fairly common cut.
      Yeah, I tried to think of a better word -- so, whatever word means "wood on both sides of the blade, but not a pocket cut". I fully agree that "trimming a smidgen" is a fairly common cut, which is what makes it more annoying that my DC setup (with shark guard) does so poorly here.

We could modify the test, but doesn't that just give users of a DC a false sense of security?
      Hey, false sense of security is what DC is all about, right?

I agree with what you're saying -- I was just pointing out that the shark guard, without further mods, doesn't do well with the cut you described. But, it's better than nothing AND I think some clever mods can make it good for the "smidgen trim", too. I'm still doing cardboard mock-ups each time I do a trim cut.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

A DC's that are plumbed with 4" pipes only move 2.25 times the CFM as a shop vac.
        If that's right, would, say a Delta 50-720, rated at 650CFM be effective enough for say a garage based shop, with a straight line, into a wye just before the blast gates, then down to maybe 4' of 4" hose? And no, I am not talking about more than one tool at a time. I am thinking running the DC to say the BT back end and belly pan, and the shop vac to the shark guard... I can grab an unwanted 50-720 locally for a song if I need to...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
          If that's right, would, say a Delta 50-720, rated at 650CFM be effective enough for say a garage based shop, with a straight line, into a wye just before the blast gates, then down to maybe 4' of 4" hose? And no, I am not talking about more than one tool at a time. I am thinking running the DC to say the BT back end and belly pan, and the shop vac to the shark guard... I can grab an unwanted 50-720 locally for a song if I need to...
          If you can grab one for a song I guess it depends on wetheryou can sing

In a perfect world I would look for a bit more CFM but if you can get it for a great price it may be worthwhile.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by poolhound
            If you can grab one for a song I guess it depends on wetheryou can sing

In a perfect world I would look for a bit more CFM but if you can get it for a great price it may be worthwhile.
            +1.

In a perfect world, a larger unit with a larger blower/motor will have more static lift and will overcome the 4" pipes a little better.

But it isn't a perfect world.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Well, like I mentioned, I really want a 50-760, but didn't have the funds to catch the Rockler sale on them... Just wondering if the larger motor / impeller of the 760 really buys me much due to the 4" pipe.... 5" is next to impossible to find, and 6" brings up its own set of problems...

I'm only one guy, I can only use one tool at a time. Even when I have shop help, they are mostly there for moral support and to drink my beer...

Something tells me to keep chucking money aside for a 760, and pray for a sale when I have the $$...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rob25
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • UP Michigan
                • BT 3000

Currently have a Grizzly 2hp cyclone, and it works amazing. It has a remote control start, so I turn it on when I need it...
                Attached Files

Comment

• master53yoda
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Spokane Washington
                  • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

The biggest key to proper DC dust collection is smooth wall pipe and as small amount of flex as possible. It is surprising the difference running the 3" RV hose instead of the 2 1/2" vac hose makes.

4" with up to 30' of smooth wall pipe works ok on a 1 HP 800cfm
                  6" with up to 30' of smooth wall pipe works ok on a 2 HP 1300 cfm
                  8" with up to 30' of smooth wall pipe works ok on a 3 HP 1900 cfm ( sorry had this at 2 hp instead of 3)

The static pressure from one HP size to the next varies little the cfm is what changes.

The piping design is what retains the static which delivers the cfm .

it is important that the open vents are enough to provide full cfm to the fan or dust will separate in the long horizontal runs which reduce the static.

my saw station is closest to the DC and the main line reduces in size after the saw station so that the velocity stays high enough to prevent the dust from separating one 4" run is never shut on the saw even if I am using the DC for other equipment.

My intention this summer is to reconfigure my dc into a cyclone, I also have access to a sheetmetal shop.
                  Last edited by master53yoda; 01-22-2009, 04:27 PM.
                  Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I'm using a Jet DC-1100CK, so it's probably a lot like the very popular HF 2hp w/ cannister. Works well in my small shop. I don't have any hard pipe plumbed, I just drag the hose w/ quick disconnect around from tool to tool. The longest run is about 10' (jointer). If my shop were larger, I'd get into a cyclone, Rob's is nice, you make me jealous, a nice 3-5hp cyclone would be excellent.

Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by drumpriest
                      ... If my shop were larger, I'd get into a cyclone, Rob's is nice, you make me jealous, a nice 3-5hp cyclone would be excellent.

Yeah, but I'd be afraid it would suck in the neighbors cat...

Comment

• dkerfoot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Holland, Michigan
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
                        Yeah, but I'd be afraid it would suck in the neighbors cat...
                        You say that like it is a bad thing...
                        Doug Kerfoot
                        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                        KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...