Please post your custom dust collection pickups / ports and accessories.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Please post your custom dust collection pickups / ports and accessories.

This might sound funny but we are here to share info. I was going through the articles and noticed a lack of dust collection fittings / jigs / pickups / ports.

I know plenty of us have made our own over the years. So please post up your favorite dust collection gizmos you have made.

My intent here is to collect as much information as I can on the subject, and write up some quick articles to share in the Articles section of hte stie.

As a reminder we are set up as an educational foundation, and that education is sharing information on what, and how to accomplish our tasks for the craft of woodworking. This is being done for the continuance and advancement of those goals...
    Last edited by dbhost; 03-28-2022, 10:32 AM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

My BT3100 router table fence. The sliding face design was from some old Wood Magazine plans, as is the box the bit spins in and has the 2.5" port. I simply clamp it to my BT fance and adjust. Works great!

Materials are simple 3/4 ply which I had, and tempered hardboard. The star knobs were too big so I went with simple nuts to hold the adjusters...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RouterFenceDC3.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	849585 Click image for larger version

Name:	RouterFenceDC.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	849586 Click image for larger version

Name:	RouterFenceDC2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	849587
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Router fence

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3270952.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	849589

12" Miter saw

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3270950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	849590

Adapter for 1" sander non standard port to 2-1/2" hose

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3270951.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.0 KB ID:	849591

My drill press dust collector arm
      Click image for larger version  Name:	P3270949.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.9 KB ID:	849592

Edge of the router table clean up tray

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=840168&d=1615746686.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	849593

BT3000 belly pan

Name:	fetch?id=846860&d=1640239080&type=medium.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	849594
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-27-2022, 07:23 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay some questions and observations.

For starters. You make me feel like I massively overdid it with the router table fence. Simplixity is an art in itself and you nailed it!

On the 12" miter saw. How well does dust collection work with that? My Chicago Electric 12" slider is beyond abysmal for dust collection. That is one of the areas I am looking for ideas for improvement

Do you have more detail on the Drill Press Dust Collection Arm? That looks interesting.

The router table clean up tray. That is what started my thoughts on this thread.
        Do you have more info on its assembly and operation?

Lastly, my BT3100 already had the belly pan. So not posting mine, but it more or less looks like yours but with a 4" 90 degree elbow right below the pan...
        Last edited by dbhost; 03-27-2022, 08:17 PM.
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

My 2nd attempt at a floor sweep. I made this one narrower than the first. The first was wide enough so I could shove a push broom against it and get it all in there. I sized this up for a regular dust / sweep type broom after I decided the smaller surface area would make it easier to have / keep better suction. Scrap 3/4" ply. Angles evade me now but I am thinking 22.5 degrees, matching bevels. Glue and screws with clear silicone sealing up the hunk of 4" DWV, and the inside corners. I am trying to avoid blowby.

I do not currently have this hooked up, but am considering adding it to the area behind the flip top stands. Just need to take one of the 4x4x4 wyes, and a spare blast gate to make it happen... Oh and some of the 2 screw U strapping... I miss having this installed.

When I do go and reinstall this thing, I will add some of that closed cell white foam tape to the bottom edge as well. I literally want air only coming in from the front of this thing.

My first floor sweep
      The other side of the floor sweep
      Bottom view of the floor sweep
      Last edited by dbhost; 03-27-2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• GrumpyDad
        GrumpyDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Add a magnet to catch any items in the dust?

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Hadn't thought of that, but not a bad idea. Keep nails and such from smashing into the impeller on the DC...
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Answers to DBHost Dave's questions to my post 3 in this thread,
      Okay some questions and observations.

For starters. You make me feel like I massively overdid it with the router table fence. Simplixity is an art in itself and you nailed it! THANKS.

On the 12" SCMS, If you see another one of those Hitachi 12" front sliders in Houston for sale on the cheap, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Assuming of course I haven't gotten a Metabo by then... Seriously though, how is the dust collection off of that? I HATE my Chicago Electric for dust collection, and the space it uses. HItachi power tools (HPT) is now Metabo HPT. I bought 2, I broke one with a bad kickback and cracked the frame. I got the original from Lowes and the second one from CPO on line. Mine is not a slider, its a dual bevel compound https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=metabo+c12fdhm

Do you have more detail on the Drill Press Dust Collection Arm? That looks interesting. I detailed this at least once before including some video. I think the last instance was in my DIY Jigs part I thread https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...-have-you-made see post 18. I have to say this is my take on a Rod Kirby idea.

The router table clean up tray. That is what started my thoughts on this thread.
      Do you have more info on its assembly and operation? I Made the same hose fixture as in the back of my router fence. The 2-1/2 vac hoses fit snugly in them. Its 2 boards ripped to 3" wide. The outer board I laminated a block on which I drilled the hole through 1-1/2" thick for the hose. I put an adjustable rail on the outer edge of that to catch the over spray of dust but be below any work coming off the surface of the table Its about half an inch high of the base and works OK, I've not had to adjust it. I beveled a 9.5° edge on the outer piece and glued it to the first inner piece, then I just clamped the first inner piece to the bottom edge of the router table. I left it this way for a while and then put a single screw in it to attach to the bottom of the router table top - it butts against the apron of the table so one screw is OK it won't swivel. You may also miter the corner and have to put some clearance for the fence clamp as I did. And line up the vac hole pretty much in line with the router bit. Note: 9.5° with 3" wide raises the outside by 1/2" and the lip raises another 1/2" and the table is I think 1-1/4" thick. Numbers not an accident.

Lastly, my BT3100 already had the belly pan. So not posting mine, but it more or less looks like yours but with a 4" 90 degree elbow right below the pan...I made the original BT3 belly pan probably 15 years ago, posted it here and its been copied many times. https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...c-dc-bt-photos
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-28-2022, 10:18 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I was aware of the Metabo thing. Yeah there are a few that pop up infrequently that are just cheap. Like the Chicago was new kind of cheap... But I think I am going ot have to put my quarters in the swear jar and save up for one...

On the Belly pan thing, if you don't recall. My BT3100 was bought from former member here LarryL, not sure why but he decided to stop posting in 2012. I do hope he's doing well. His shop had a fire due to him smoking in the shop and tamping what he thought were extinguished pipe ash into a trash can. Burnt up a wall the TS fence was on. I got the TS, and all the bits and bobs, after Larry had his shop redone and got a new table saw. Most likely under insurance. I had to replace a few of the plastic bits and pieces and relube the snot out of the fence moving parts, Anyway, he did the belly pan with elbow mod, along with a fairly decent for just the TS not extension wing mod, mobile base that is still on it.

If I had any brains I would knock this thing back to standard rails. The extension table just sucks up space. I never cut sheet goods on the table saw anyway...
        Last edited by dbhost; 03-28-2022, 10:23 AM.
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Please keep the ideas coming folks. I am working on an idea for the site. Will update the first post...

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

My Hitachi 10 sliding compound miter saw… the sawdust spewer… dust cabinet. This is a large cabinet, but the wall space that the miter saw takes up is large anyway. This cabinet has one 6” line straight from the Clearview Cyclone Dust Collector. Any dust that escapes is blown out by the poor collection on the Hitachi.

Name:	D93F54F2-3065-4977-A717-C8C357EC160F.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	849623

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that a rear rail slide design on that saw? I see the basics there. All I know is on my rear slider, I MUST do something to catch the spewing stuff that the OE port doesn't even really try to capture. I might just take some ideas from this and my existing dust hood / cabinet. I.E. the curved back piece thus reducing hte air space to be collected from, and try another run at it. I think getting up by the fence and enclosing the sides a bit MIGHT help. Or not... It can't possibly be worse.
      • capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I modified this dust chute to attach to the face of a rip fence bar on a table saw and router table on the table saw.

This collector is a modified Dust Right Router Table Dado Dust Chute sold by Rockler. It comes with a 2 1/2” vacuum cleaner hose adapter and a blast gate. Adapting it to accept a 4” flex hose from a real dust collector doesn’t do much, as the internal opening size is around 2”.
        It has been sawed off to accept a 4” Dust Right hose adapter that was super glued in place.

Name:	C90987B4-569C-444D-8990-1C736875A812.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	849625

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice mod, but as you said, being interally limited to 2". Is there anything you can do to open that up? Sorry I lack familiarity with it...

• GrumpyDad
          GrumpyDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Was in a cabinet shop the other day and saw almost same design, 86 year old gentlemen running the saw said he had been working that way for 24 years. His design had a hood where you have the brush. Airflow created a horizontal draft on the surface of the table.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl

Name:	D93F54F2-3065-4977-A717-C8C357EC160F.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	849623
        Okay this gives me ideas for modding / replacing my dust hood for my Chicago Electric 12" slider.
        1. No need to use solid panels for the main structure, Just a skeletal frame, This is good as I can get the front up ighter, while pulling hte back down closer to the back fo hte rails
        2. I can and probably SHOULD being the sides to just behind the fences, just give me enough space to be able to move the flip stops.
        3. I can likely simply append / modify my existing dust hood to make it work, and take advantage of tightening up some of the space so that the single 4" port in it will do the job. Not allergic to upgrading to 5" for this application though...

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

This is a collector I set up for my variable speed grinder. It is a 2 1/2" floor sweep turned upside down and fastened to the front of the grinder platform. The platform is a piece of office furniture top with a piece of wood fastened to the front to form a stop. The whole assembly can be moved to some other bench top and usually gets mounted on the main work bench next to the lathe when I'm turning. Normally, it just sits on the cabinet that has the jointer mounted. Note the shop made 2 1/2" plywood dust collection port on the jointer also. Click image for larger version  Name:	7C999FE6-EB9C-4F71-B3C7-648BFD43CD0A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	851101
          Last edited by Jim Frye; 06-01-2022, 07:39 PM.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Don't forget what's in the Articles section here.

Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

The Belly Pan is awesome!

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

This table saw dust collector was sold with 21/2” connections, but I was able to saw them off and adapt a Dust Rite 4” flexible fitting to the cut off area. Some diameter was lost but I think it sill is at least 3 1/2”. It works surprisingly well catching most all of the sawdust that is spit forward. If the SawStop over the blade cover had a better collection instead of the 1 1/2” hose this would catch everything from the saw. Click image for larger version

Name:	EBDC97F5-83D3-41DA-992B-C3FB8D8E61EC.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	851119

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

capncarl what is that plastic sheeting you are using? That looks like that vinyl stuff they use for walk in cooler curtains or something like that. How could that be sourced up?

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

It’s thin vinyl I purchased at Jo-Ann’s, a fabric shop/hobby shop similar to Michael’s. Most fabric shops carry it. I’ve seen clear tablecloths sold that would work as well. The stuff that they use on freezer doors and doors in warehouses are a lot thicker and muccch more expensive.

Comment

Working...