X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olddog/newtrick
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2021

olddog/newtrick

Putting a plastic blade adj. crank on a steel shaft is such poor design/execution that i'm guessing that there are numerous viable remedies out there for a replacement "handwheel" (even if I wanted a crappy OEC replacement they're extinct. So far i've learned that for about 20 bucks i can get metal crank+adapter from craftsman. hey! "voice of experience" can you help a brother out? Talk to me please...ideas, websites, tel. numbers,
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Have had my saw for about 21.5 years and it still has the OEM crank/bevel handle. Since I have not needed one I haven't had to source a replacement. Good luck and Welcome to SawdustZone.org!
    Last edited by Black walnut; 01-15-2021, 09:45 PM.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Unfortunately the BT3 designers chose a odd shaped non standard shaft end for the crank.
      No commercial crank fits, But you can buy equivalent cranks for$10-20 bucks, don't pick one oversize because the handle will interfere with the rip fence handle when you least want it to.

There is a fairly easy adapter to fit the shaft to a 1/2" dia. ID crank handles. Shown here on a Grizzly handle I bought, too.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=839900&d=1595138533.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	842162
      Click image for larger version

Name:	handwheel gallery.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	842163

I documented one I bought commercially for the day when and if my OEM handle breaks. But I have not had to use it.

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...dapter-drawing

Someone should be able to make one 3D printed, but it would still be plastic.

I figure by having the spare parts on hand I can dodge the bullet.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-15-2021, 01:14 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
        woodturner commented
        Editing a comment
        There are 3D printing vendors that will print in metal, if one prefers. There are also online vendors that will machine parts from metal. Since there is an existing drawing, it should not be difficult to have the part made in metal.
    • twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by Black walnut
      Have had my saw for about 212.5 years ...
      your saw had a bicentennial and we missed it?

The handle should not be under any stress unless the gears are jammed or you are encountering the dreaded shim issue. In that case if the handle is forced the handle fails instead of stripping gears and causing more costly damage to the mechanism. thats what originally lead me to this site and its predecessors two decades ago.

Unfortunately, I also have no suggestions for locating this part.
      Chr's

Comment

Working...