• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bonnerj
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2023
    • BT3000

Question about rip fence

First, thanks again to everyone who helped me sort out the issues with the issues aligning the blade to 0 and 45 degrees.

I'm now tackling the rip fence. I dug into the FAQ, and with the help of that and some old threads, I have determined that the front clamp (designated "clamper-A" in the FAQ) is bent. I don't have immediate access to a vise, so straightening it out will have to wait. However, I have noticed that the rear clamp does not move when the handle on the front clamp is opened or closed.

My question is, will straightening clamper-A fix this, or is there something else going on that I need to address?

Thanks!

Joe
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

If everything else is right, yes, HOWEVER, there is an adjusting screw on the clamping lever on the rear clamp, and if it isn't adjusted in far enough you can straighten the clamper A out all you want and it will never clamp the rear of the fence... Get clamper A sorted and then verify the rear clamper works, if not adjust that screw in a bit...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• bonnerj
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2023
      • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
      If everything else is right, yes, HOWEVER, there is an adjusting screw on the clamping lever on the rear clamp, and if it isn't adjusted in far enough you can straighten the clamper A out all you want and it will never clamp the rear of the fence... Get clamper A sorted and then verify the rear clamper works, if not adjust that screw in a bit...
      Good to know. Thanks!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

So think of it this way. Clamper A is basically a lever, which pushes a LONG rod that goes through the fence, to the clamper B I guess it is properly called, The contact point on clamper B is that adjustment screw, so it if it too far out, clamper A cannot swing far enough to actually push it...

Boy I hope I explained that right...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

How is it bent?
          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Fortunately I have not had a problem with the Rip fence other than replacing the roller holder.

My recollection from all these years on BT3Central /Sawdustzone and the Ryobi forums is that the tip of Clamper A gets bent when the user gets too heavy handed with pushing down the locking handle. Easy does it with everything on this saw!! Somethings got to give, I guess its the relatively long moment arm of clamper A. Should be able to bend it back with a small vise. If you don't have one you really need one in a shop.

Here's what it should be bent to and its not all that critical as there is a screw adjustment in the back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clamper A side view part_p_149314_2642313882.gif Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	857316
            Attached Files
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bonnerj
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2023
              • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Fortunately I have not had a problem with the Rip fence other than replacing the roller holder.

My recollection from all these years on BT3Central /Sawdustzone and the Ryobi forums is that the tip of Clamper A gets bent when the user gets too heavy handed with pushing down the locking handle. Easy does it with everything on this saw!! Somethings got to give, I guess its the relatively long moment arm of clamper A. Should be able to bend it back with a small vise. If you don't have one you really need one in a shop.

Here's what it should be bent to and its not all that critical as there is a screw adjustment in the back.

Click image for larger version Name:	Clamper A side view part_p_149314_2642313882.gif Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	857316
              Now I'm confused. In the FAQ, it says to straighten clamper-A if it's bent, but from the pic from ereplacement parts, it looks like the clamper is supposed to be bent. Here's what mine looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231214_171642079.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	857326

So, maybe it doesn't need to be straightened, but bent a little more to get it back to the proper angle? Or do I need to fuss with the screw adjustment?

Thanks!

Joe
              Attached Files

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My opinion is that this is one of the gray areas on the fence. I hade both a BT3000 and a BT3100 at the same time. One was bent just a touch toward the back of the saw, and the other I had to bent slightly the other direction or I couldn't unhook the fence at the rear. It would roll at the rear but not leave enough of a gap to get the fence off the saw.

Where it needs to be is that when the handle of the rip fence is in the upright and unlocked position, the bar that goes through the fence to the rear clamper should barely make contact with the front clamper A. Once you start to push the handle down, two things should happen. Clamper A tightens against the front rail and pushes the rod into the top of clamper B causing the hook at the bottom of clamper B to lock the rear of the fence to the rail. Ideally, the front of the fence should lock down first and square the fence to the rail and then the rear fence clamp B should lock the back of the fence in place.

I haven't had a BT3x saw for a number of years, so this is from memory.
                • First, make sure clamper B moves when the fence is unlocked. If it is sticking and doesn't pivot easily on the pin that holds it in place, deal with that first.
                • Back out the adjusting screw at the rear of the fence almost all the way.
                • With the fence on the saw, lower the locking handle until it just starts to engage the rail, but isn't yet locked down tight.
                • Hold in the top of clamper B and tighten the adjusting screw until the screw starts to move the top of the clamper away from the saw. (If you bottom out the screw and the clamper hasn't moved you need to increase the bend of clamper A, or the rod that goes through the fence is not in the proper position to be pushed by clamper A )
                • Lock the handle the rest of the way and then adjust the screw to get a solid lock at the rear of the fence.
                The tab at the bottom of clamper B can also get bent and should be at a 90 degree angle to its inside flat.

I struggled with the fence on My BT3000 for a long time, before I found this site, but once I got it dialed in, it worked really well until I dropped it and had to do it all agin.
                Chr's

Comment

Working...