• Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Looka very neat, GOOD JOB!!!!

Comment

• yamato72
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2009
      • Lansing, MI

Additional t-track to the right of the blade. This is a Rousseau product too. It worked out nice since the router insert and t-track complement the color scheme on the BT quite well.

I'm not sure how functional this will ever be since I don't even have a traditional miter gage, but I decided to install it now, while the router was set up to cut the dado for the other t-track. I didn't dare go any closer to the edge of the saw table lest I weaken something.

This should do it for now, hopefully the next pics will be of the base fully completed....

After reading Rod Kirby's extension table write-up, I'd really like to make one for the left side of the blade, laminated to match the saw table and complete with a couple more t-tracks that are aligned to the blade. I think an outfeed table may come first though, as I really need one for sheet materials.

Comment

• yamato72
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2009
        • Lansing, MI

No drawers yet but I did finish the electrical. After searching around for an on/off switch for the router, I decided that I'd see how much the replacement parts were to duplicate the Bt3K switch and disconnect. They cost less than $20 shipped:

I also made some progress on the miter saw table. Shelves and tops will be next:

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • IL, USA.
          • DELTA 36-675

Nicely done, Yamato! Great job! Love the progress pics.
          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• yamato72
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2009
            • Lansing, MI

I realized I never posted any more pics of the miter table, here it is completed except for doors and drawers. It has gotten cold here so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make any progress out in my garage this winter. Stay warm, guys. It's been in the single digits here at night.

Last edited by yamato72; 12-15-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

That is a well-thought out design you have there.

For a miter table, it'll be very functional and THAT'S highly important to the user. Great job sir; I know you'll enjoy it in the warmer months ahead!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Somehow I managed to lose track of this thread through the majority of the steps. All I can say is WOW... That is a really nice cabinet. I'm not sure how well the rail attachment is going to hold up over time, but then again, why wouldn't it? Just something in my head saying it ought to be metal is all... More of a mental malfunction of mine...

I am going to have to eventually build one of these, but I don't want to cut my rails down. That is going to be WIDE...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Poobah
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2010
                  • SoCal
                  • BT3100

This is freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• yamato72
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2009
                    • Lansing, MI

Gents, thought I'd check in and say "hi." I have finally finished off both my mobile base (OK it still needs a door for the router cabinet) and my miter saw table so I took some pics of the work and will get them posted. The miter saw table in particular got an upgrade, I bought a new sliding CMS (careful to find one with a similar sized miter table as my old CMS so as not to have to bash my cabinets), and the working space required by the new saw necessitated a change in order to be able to swing the miter gauge fully.

My BT3100 is still trucking along, cutting beautifully and I've been using it for projects around the house. I did need to replace the belts a couple months back.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Welcome back yamato72! It is great to read that you are alive and well and that your BT3100 is as well.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• yamato72
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2009
                        • Lansing, MI

Progress pics. Lots of drawer boxes to make (7 total). This is good practice for some future kitchen cabinets that I need to make. I've made cabinets before, but never drawers. Cut to length and dadoed on the BT, cut to width on my new sliding CMS. The drawer slides were installed back when I first made the saw tables.

Assembled with pocket holes

The drawers underneath the "pocket" where the SMT is stowed needed to be tapered in order to close, here I am cutting the taper on the BT (watch for screws!):

Next I constructed the drawer fronts. I wanted maple to match the saw tables, but since the drawer fronts were over 8" high and I didn't want to buy1x10 boards I bought a selection of 1x3 and 1x4 sticks, ripped them to random widths, and glued them up. That was the look I was going for, anyway. I'm happy with how they turned out. I did have to sand them as the surfaces were imperfect, actually that's the only sanding I've done on either of these saw cabinets.

I may leave the upper part of the miter saw cabinets open, as I find I constantly use that area to clamp to.

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

How is your table saw/router table setup working for you? I have similar setup with one difference. Distance between rails on BT3100 is 22.5". The way you oriented your router table - width of the table is limited to it. I was afraid that 22.5" is not enough width for a good table. I know that this setup is traditional when people are putting router table in a table saw wing, but most saws have bigger distance between rails than BT3100. I think that a good router table needs to have at least 24" width, 30" is even better. I have a professional router table fence - it is 30" long. I oriented my router table along the length of the saw table. Fortunately wide table kit gives you plenty of space - 66" to the right from the blade. As a result when I feed the stock to the table, I feed it right to left at 90 degrees to the way you feed stack into table saw. To be honest after having wide table kit for few years - I believe it is really not necessary. Original rails give you rip capacity of 24" to the right of the blade and it is plenty. I have now rip capacity of 66" to the right but I practically never have the need to clamp rip fence beyond 24 inches. That is not to say that having a wide table to the right of the blade is not useful. Just like you I have a miter track to the right from the blade, I made a cross-cut sled with the runner that uses that track. I use that sled all the time. Having a solid surface supporting that sled along its entire length is very nice. But I don't really use rip fence for crosscutting and I don't use rails to clamp the fence beyond 24". If you don't use the extended rails, then you could make a router table surface wider than 22" with orientation like yours. I am beginning to think that I need to scale down my shop and I might make changes to what I have now. It is working well now, but I see writing on walls that I shall soon be selling this house and anything after will be smaller.
                          Alex V

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Nice moble base, typical build time for shop tools!
                            Some names popping up I haven't seen in a long time. Is shadowfox still with us?
                            I've been working on an out feed table for my saw that utillizes trailer toung jacks for legs that will allow me to raise the table and park it on top of the table saw, then roll both out of the way. This reduces the storage space required a lot. I'll post photos next month. We are on the way south for a trip thru the Panama Canal. Maybe I'll bring back some different wood.
                            capncarl

Comment

• twistsol
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Nice job on the mobile base and welcome back.
                              Chr's

Comment

• yamato72
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Apr 2009
                                • Lansing, MI

Originally posted by vaking
                                How is your table saw/router table setup working for you?
                                I have found that I have a nice, big, work area that lets me do a good-sized rip at one end and at the same time leave the router and fence in place at that other. There is a bit of dead space in-between. When I first laid out the base, I ended up pushing the saw as far to the left as possible, making for a really long (but still mobile) saw table. I agree that needing to rip past 24" is rare; I will say that in my case, I specifically wanted to be able to cut sheet goods with the rip fence out to about 30-36" for cabinet-making. So I agree, I could've gone 12-18" shorter and not felt too much of a pinch.

As for the router table width, I haven't had much trouble with that, the largest piece I've worked with is probably a 6 or 8' 1X that I was routing with a baseboard bit. With both the saw and the router I've found that a nice featherboard is the key. I bought a new combo miter track / T-track recently and intend to replace the miter track on the router table with it. The T-Track would allow me to fasten the router fence the long way if I were to clamp the free end somewhere....

Comment

Working...