Ryobi 12in Drill Press - Clearance (Discontinued)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duncsuss
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
    Congrats on your acquisition.
    Thanks Bill
    "Requires some assembly", and use the instructions in the book, not the quick sheet. And make sure you put the bar with the gear teeth on it so the unthreaded section is at the TOP or the table won't lower all the way and you'll have to disassemble to correct - and that head assembly is not light (DAMHIKT).
    "Not light" is an understatement ... I got as far as the head assembly before recognizing I'd need some assistance. Before I put the head on the column, may I ask you a couple of questions?

Should the table support & table spin round the column even when the table lock is tightened? And the raise/lower mechanism - should it still crank the table up and down when the table lock is tightened?

Maybe I'm not tightening it hard enough, does it need to be more than "hand tight" to actually lock the table movement?

Also - don't pull your hair out looking for the 15w candelabra-base bulb. Buried in the book in fine print, is says "Bulb not included".
    I hadn't got to the page where it shows you how to install the non-existent stuff yet, thanks for the time-saver!

Hope it serves you well.
    Thanks Bill -- it has small shoes to fill, the dp I've been using till now was a cheapie I scored at a yard sale a couple of summers ago, think it was $20 including a set of tapered bits with countersink collars. At that price I accepted a lot of shortcomings, hoping this new one has less attitude

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by duncsuss
      Thanks Bill

"Not light" is an understatement ... I got as far as the head assembly before recognizing I'd need some assistance. Before I put the head on the column, may I ask you a couple of questions?

Should the table support & table spin round the column even when the table lock is tightened? And the raise/lower mechanism - should it still crank the table up and down when the table lock is tightened?

Maybe I'm not tightening it hard enough, does it need to be more than "hand tight" to actually lock the table movement?

...:

If the table and table lock spin around after tightening the lock, you've probably made a common mistake...

That is, you inserted the locking handle from the wrong side. Most of these lock by tightening a split collar - one side of the split is threaded and pulls the unthreaded side to the threaded side to tighten. If you installed the lock into the threaded side first, then tighteneing the handle only tightens the handle to the threaded side, it does not pull the split closed. Try putting both handles in from the opposite side you have chosen.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• duncsuss
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009

Thanks Loring -- I checked and reckon I have the handle the right way round, it did increase the resistance to movement simply not prevent it.

The simple explanation is I was just not tightening it far enough ... past experience with threads stripping out has made me cautious.

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

FWIW, I have checked several stores around southern Michigan, and I have yet to see one marked down. I haven't had anyone actually check the price, since I ony had my car...
          Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by duncsuss
            No, when the table lock is tightened it shouldn't move around or crank up/down. I put a fair amount of pressure on it when tightening, until immobile, without fear of stripping. Did you happen to clean all the cosmoline off the shaft before assembly? That could be creating a lubricating effect defeating the table lock to some degree.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• duncsuss
              Established Member
              • Oct 2009

No, when the table lock is tightened it shouldn't move around or crank up/down. I put a fair amount of pressure on it when tightening, until immobile, without fear of stripping. Did you happen to clean all the cosmoline off the shaft before assembly? That could be creating a lubricating effect defeating the table lock to some degree.
              Thanks Bill -- I just wasn't tightening it enough.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

You guys are scoring some nice drill presses. That is the one I was literally on my way to get when I stumbled upon my Norther Industrial DP. In some ways, that bench top model has some advantages like being able to have storage underneath it where with a floor model, not so much... I know I never use the full height of my DP, and probably never will...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                  You guys are scoring some nice drill presses. That is the one I was literally on my way to get when I stumbled upon my Norther Industrial DP. In some ways, that bench top model has some advantages like being able to have storage underneath it where with a floor model, not so much... I know I never use the full height of my DP, and probably never will...
                  I don't know if there would have been an inability or hardship to doing it with a bench model, but I finally found a real use for my floor stander over the last couple of months repairing balusters for my parents house. They rotted away on the bottoms and I cut the ends of the damaged portion, used a forstner bit to hog out a hole on the spindle and the new end, and use an oak dowel to mate the two pieces together. The height of the drill press came in handy for drilling on the long spindle pieces.

Don't know if that's the right way to repair them, but it's working.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                    I don't know if there would have been an inability or hardship to doing it with a bench model, but I finally found a real use for my floor stander over the last couple of months repairing balusters for my parents house. They rotted away on the bottoms and I cut the ends of the damaged portion, used a forstner bit to hog out a hole on the spindle and the new end, and use an oak dowel to mate the two pieces together. The height of the drill press came in handy for drilling on the long spindle pieces.

Don't know if that's the right way to repair them, but it's working.
                    Good point on capacity, and I can't imagine a need for me like this, or I might have to try in on my lathe with the bed extension attached.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Good point on capacity, and I can't imagine a need for me like this, or I might have to try in on my lathe with the bed extension attached.
                      If the head turns, you could probably make an adjustable table on the side of where ever the bench model is mounted (sliding dovetails, perhaps?) and have an auxiliary surface for tall items.

Matter of fact, I'd like a second table for my floor model. Switching between a very short and very tall item is time consuming.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                        If the head turns, you could probably make an adjustable table on the side of where ever the bench model is mounted (sliding dovetails, perhaps?) and have an auxiliary surface for tall items.
                        That's a great idea. Although not designed to turn mechanically, if needed, one could loosen the set screws that stabilize the head on the column and temporarily move the head and secure to one side.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Han86
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2011
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi Bt3000

I see on HD site it is $169 with free shipping and if you use code thdsave26 you can get an additional $5 off
                          Thanks,

Clint

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

The HD here in Binghamton got "swamped" with the recent flooding. At this point it is gutted and out of business for what appears to be some time to come.

I did check the Painted Post store this past weekend and its still marked at $179 and, of course, nobody knows anything about a "clearance". I see it's still on the Ryobi website so I'm wondering if this is just one more tool that HD has decided to regionally discontinue; in which case, it will take some length of time to spread across the country (like the Ridgid Jointer, it took over a year from the first "clearance posting" until it finally hit our local store... even then, it never was clearanced priced... it just disappeared!

Before the recent flooding, the Binghamton store just seemed to stop displaying any stationary tools, moving its smaller table saws out of the dept altogether and only displaying a sign for it's larger Ridgid stationary line. A pity, as I think most of us would not buy a product without being able to actually see it first hand.

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• duncsuss
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2009

now onto my third unit ...

The first unit had a mechanical problem with the table lift mechanism. On Sunday, I took it back to the store and got a replacement.

As soon as I got it home, I did a quick check and verified the lift gears were good. Last night I finished the assembly and powered it on. Neither the speed display LEDs nor the target lasers worked.

This morning, I took it back to the store and got a replacement, and a further $15 discount for my inconvenience.

I really hope all the parts in this one work.

Comment

• dbhost
                                Slow and steady
                                • Apr 2008
                                • League City, Texas
                                • Ryobi BT3100

Your results are quite stunning. I haven't ever heard of one of these being a dud, let alone 2 in a row... I have heard less than nice things about the 10" model, but the 12" always seems to get good reviews, and very few posts of any troubles...
                                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...