Ryobi 12in Drill Press - Clearance (Discontinued)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveO
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2010
    • Arvada, CO
    • BT3000 + BT3000 = BT6000

I'm pretty sure I just got the last one, at least online.

I went to Depot to pick one up. They didn't have it or even the space for one, so they suggested going to customer service and have them see if any other store in Denver had one. It turns out that there were none anywhere in Colorado.

So we look it up online. By accident the customer service rep put two in the cart and tried to checkout. It said that quantity could not be filled so we took one out and it went through.

Now if you look online it says no longer available. She called Depot online and they verified I got the last available.

The moral of this story is that if you want one and your store still has one, HURRY!

Comment

• mrhans
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2011
      • Chicago, Illinois 60640

Originally posted by SteveO
      I'm pretty sure I just got the last one, at least online.

I went to Depot to pick one up. They didn't have it or even the space for one, so they suggested going to customer service and have them see if any other store in Denver had one. It turns out that there were none anywhere in Colorado.

So we look it up online. By accident the customer service rep put two in the cart and tried to checkout. It said that quantity could not be filled so we took one out and it went through.

Now if you look online it says no longer available. She called Depot online and they verified I got the last available.

The moral of this story is that if you want one and your store still has one, HURRY!
      So now that we're clear on morals, what did you end up paying?

Comment

• SteveO
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2010
        • Arvada, CO

I ended up paying $159 including tax and free shipping. It was originally $169 plus tax with free shipping so it would have been $176.

The store said they would honor a Harbor Freight 20% coupon, but HomeDepot.com said they don't take HF coupons. They did however knock off 10%.

Seemed like a decent deal. It arrives Friday and I can't wait to use it.

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

I picked one up for $152 a few weeks ago. I finally had time to assemble it today. There was a small spring & a plastic collar in one of the bags. I'm not sure where they go, they're not listed in the assembly instructions. It looks like they should go with the spindle lock, though. Does the spring go on the end of the spindle lock shaft that has the teeth, then the handle, & finally the plastic collar to hold the handle on? There was also a very small black screw in the bag, but, I think may be in the bag by mistake. I didn't see anywhere for a screw to go.
          Last edited by jking; 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• SteveO
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2010
            • Arvada, CO

There were no springs or collars involved in the assembly of my machine. I suspect you got a bag from something else. My assembly matched the manual perfectly.

Comment

• jking
              • May 2003
              • Des Moines, IA.
              • BT3100

Did the plastic handle on the spindle lock come off of the threaded shaft? On mine, the plastic handle comes off, there is nothing holding it onto the shaft.

Comment

• SteveO
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2010
                • Arvada, CO

My spindle lock handle was fine. If yours is unthreading, you might be able to epoxy it so it stays or replace it with a new threaded handle. It might be metric, but I know Ace Hardware carries metric ones.

Comment

• jking
                  • May 2003
                  • Des Moines, IA.
                  • BT3100

We must be talking about two different things. My spindle lock handle has no threads. It mates up to a set of plastic teeth on the end of the spindle lock shaft. I might need to post a picture of what I'm talking about.

Comment

• SteveO
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2010
                    • Arvada, CO

It does sound like we're talking about two different things. A photo would help clarify.

Comment

• Zappacat
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2010
                      • Lawrence, Kansas USA

I think I saw this drill press today at Home Depot for $119.
                      I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records!

OzFloyd

Comment

• jking
                        • May 2003
                        • Des Moines, IA.
                        • BT3100

Here are the pictures related to the spindle lock I had questions about. The first picture shows the drill press assembled in it's current resting place. I plan to build a stand for it when I have time. The second picture shows the left side of the head assembly with the spindle lock in place. The third picture shows how the spindle lock was when I removed it from the bag. The threaded shaft that screws into the head has a plastic piece with teeth on it. The handle was loose and the inside matches up to the teeth on the shaft.

The last picture shows the two pieces I have left over. There is a plastic collar that sure looks like it should probably be pressed in the recess on the handle after the handle is placed on the shaft. Is the spring supposed to go on the black plastic end of the shaft before the handle goes on? I'm not really sure why the handle would need to be spring loaded, but, it looks like maybe it should be. This is one detail the manual did not address at all. The manual shows the spindle lock as one assembly with the handle already on the shaft.

Anyone have a similar situation?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• duncsuss
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2009

Mine came as a single assembly, with a small cross-head screw holding the pieces together. Looks like you might be missing that screw (unless it's in the left-hand end of the shaft seen in the bottom 2 pix.)

From what I can see, the assembly sequence should be:

- slide the spring onto the shaft
                          - slide the handle onto the shaft
                          - insert the plastic collar into the handle recess, compressing the spring a little
                          - insert the screw and tighten, holding it all together.

In this way, the spring pressure keeps the handle in a position where the teeth are engaged. Putting your thumb on the protruding "button" and pulling the handle back against the spring tension allows you to spin the handle freely on the end of the shaft. This lets you turn it to a convenient position without loosening or tightening the spindle lock.

If you're missing that little screw, maybe next time you head over to HD you can take the bits with you and get a replacement.

HTH

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

usually those kind of handles are often used but not always for close quarters where you can't swing a longer handle 360 degrees. I.e. a column lock next to a table.

So the way they work is that the handle is captive on the shaft. The spring keeps the handle engaged to the teeth so that the handle will turn the shaft. To move the handle alone (e.g. to get more swing room) you lift the handle against the spring and rotate.

I'm not sure how the handle disassembles and where the ring item goes. I have 5 or 6 interspersed among my power tools (at least 3 on the jointer and 2 on the mortiser) in a couple of different sizes, but never had them apart.

I would guess the order of assy is the shaft, then the handle over the shaft gear end, then the spring over the shaft against the handle, then the cap to hold the spring on the end of the shaft, holding the handle against the gears until you lift the handle.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jking
                              • May 2003
                              • Des Moines, IA.
                              • BT3100

I'm not sure what is meant by a "cross head screw". There was actually a very small flat head screw in the bag also. Probably about a #4 x 1/2" or maybe a bit shorter.

Comment

• duncsuss
                                Established Member
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by jking
                                I'm not sure what is meant by a "cross head screw". There was actually a very small flat head screw in the bag also. Probably about a #4 x 1/2" or maybe a bit shorter.
                                Philips (or Posidrive, depending on where you grew up )

If it screws into the handle end of the shaft, that'll likely be the one that holds it all together.

Comment

Working...