• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Well, this sucks.

Some friends from Alaska are in town and we planned to meet for breakfast this morning. We were a block away from the meeting spot when someone ran a red light and hit the front of my truck. Fortunately no one was injured. I can say the Mercedes SUV that hit us didn't fare nearly as well as my truck though neither vehicle was drivable, my front bumper is rubbing on the tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	856438
    Chr's
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Most importantly I am glad nobody was injured. Secondly, Mercedes SUV? You'd think they would want to drive more carefully to protect their sizeable investment in a vehicle...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I don’t see many pickup trucks around here that don’t have large cattleguard bumpers protecting all that plastic on the front end! Some are more brush guards and do little to protect against Mercedes. But the heavy duty ones would fend off a concrete mixer, although they do work very well against deer attacks. Not a bad investment. I think that someone told me they get a sizable insurance reduction by installing them.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Liability does go up, but comp and collision goes down. I have one on my F150, I have seen them tangle with the likes of your typical import SUV and the results are un-pretty for the SUV in question.

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to get the short bed so it would fit in the garage of my new house. If I added the cattlegaurd, it would no longer fit. I literally have less than an inch in front and back of the truck when I close the garage door. It pretty much stays outside unless it is snowing.
    • Black walnut
      Administrator
      • Aug 2015
      • BT3K

Talk about sizable investment.. I know how much my Sierra Elevation cost. I'm guessing that Denali is a bit more :O

Glad no one was hurt.
      just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        This says more about how old I am than the cost of the truck, but it cost twice as much as my first house in Spanaway, WA. I bought the truck used, because new ones are crazy expensive.
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Is this GMC fitted with the Inline 6 Duramax?

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        No, it has the 6.2L v8 gas engine. If I weren't buying used and had a better selection, I would have gone with the diesel just for the mileage. Any of the available engines on the Denali are overkill for my modest towing needs, and my neighbors use my trailer far more than I do.

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        2 of my buddies here have a GMC and a Chevrolet with the inline 6 Duramax and both claim 30 mpg on the road. Neither are “work trucks” even though they claim they are. I’ve never heard the prices but I’m guesstimating slightly less than 50k for the Chevy and more than 60k for the GMC. That will buy a lot of gasoline for my 17 mpg ford.
    • twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

The repair estimate is done and a tiny bit over $10k. They have no idea when it will be completed because there are no parts available and the UAW strike prevents anything from shipping even if there were.
      Chr's

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet the insurance carrier is thrilled beyond words about that.
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

twistsol There is a reason I kept the shop in the garage instead of moving it out when I had the shed built. These stupid garages are built too small to use as, well garages if you drive larger vehicles. My pickup won't fit length or height, My van won't fit height... When I first got the house I had a standard cab, standard bed 4wd Ford Ranger and it BARELY fit...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

The "3-Car" garage on our new house is 183 square feet smaller than the 29x29 two car garage on our country ranch house and this was after we paid the builder extra to add 2' to the depth of the standard garage. The stairs and landing into the house take 30" off the depth on the 2 car side and the single stall 8' garage door is too narrow for the truck if I want to keep the mirrors on it. My wife's little Volvo sedan fits nicely on either side.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.39.12 AM.png
Views:	229
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	856556
        Chr's

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I am seriously considering finishing the remodel on this house and selling it in favor of a more rural property and having a 30x30 garage built for vehicle storage, with 9' door height.
      • twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

After almost two months of waiting mostly due to lack of parts availability caused by the UAW strike, I get my truck back on Monday! It is too bad that labor negotiations have to get to that point before they can be resolved, It was a relatively minor inconvenience for me since I was able to borrow the neighbor's truck the couple of times I was in need.

Name:	snoopy-dance.gif
Views:	116
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	857177
        Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I don’t understand house builders, and I live next door to one and across the street from another, and I worked for my house builder for over 20 yrs. They just don’t seem to be able to build a decent size house garage! It’s like they are afraid of loosing a house sale to a competitor with a slightly cheaper house. When we had our house built I measured my super crew pickup truck and added several feet to each end, and changed the door opening from 3 car to 2. ( I wanted a personal door and parking for lawn equipment. ) Since I was paying for the change order I would have appreciated some knowledgeable builder advice telling me that 2 feet on each end of the vehicle wasn’t enough and trucks are getting longer! Funny thing, both of my builder neighbors have told me they wish that they had built their garages larger.

Comment

• Dedpedal
            Established Member
            • Feb 2020
            • Palm Coast Florida
            • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

We paid for 10’ ceilings in the house and it carried over to the three car garage. They put up a 7’ door. Also, building code here requires that garage space can only be a percent ove total roofed area compared to living space. I wanted to double the size of the garage but was told that almost half of the garage would have to be walled as an office or den.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

The truck fits in the garage, but to say it is a tight fit is an understatement. I'd never be able to do this if it didn't have half a dozen cameras on it and still takes me a couple of tries from time to time..

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	857358Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	857359
              Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ow. If the temperature increases much with global warming the truck will expand and won't fit anymore

Δ Length (in inches) = Length (in inches) * Δ Temperature (in °F) * ε (in / °F). Each metal has its own response characteristic, ε, known as the coefficient of thermal expansion. ε for steel is 0.0000065 / °F. thermal expansion and contraction - Metal Sales
                Offhand if your truck is about 20 feet long, it will expand .0016 inches per degree F.
                Looks like you have 2 inches to spare so when your truck reaches 1270 degrees F it won't fit.
                Good thing you are in Minnesota. Half an hour in the Texas sun will do that.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-18-2023, 06:43 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                  leehljp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When it gets 1270°, I don't think I would care if it fit!
              Working...