• Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Side 3 Click image for larger version

Name:	910954AE-344F-42BE-B822-703D796978F9.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	847316

And for the record…. My largest lag bolt is 1/2” x 12” long, from when Hurricane Dennis blew all the power poles down in my community I was able to “ salvage” them from the crossbars i salvaged.

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Rather than using a clear peanut container, spend a few bucks on a Plano type container at HD or Lowe’s and get some sorting capabilities
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

That's really something. I've just got a couple of the Stack On 39 drawer small parts organizers....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If we are showing off our hardware storage, here's mine. Getting this cabinet free was the equivalent of winning the mega millions to me.

This is a backup tape storage cabinet an old neighbor of mine brought home from work and kept stuff in his garage for a decade. He gave it to me when he moved. I cleaned off the rust and painted it with Rustoleum hammered metal epoxy.

One of the 12 drawers looks like the one below, tidy and labelled.

The rest of them look like this, A conglomeration of random unrelated hardware with no semblance of organization. I'm still procrastinating on tackling this final bit of shop organization.

Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        dont see anything...

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, wasn’t trying to show off! Just showing what I learned from my fathers 2 50 caliber ammo cans full of his Treasures, and how I improved on his storage. I hope my storage will inspire others to create their own style of storage systems. There is still room for me to improve my storage, and I am continually adding to and removing components.

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought I had abandoned this post and hadn't uploaded the photos. I guess I posted it instead.
    • Dedpedal
      Established Member
      • Feb 2020
      • Palm Coast Florida
      • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
      Because I could totally use a proper coffee can or two. In my shop cleanup, I am discovering vast quantities of fasteners that have become estranged from their proper location, and i need to store them at least temporarily until I want to spend way to much time sorting through fasteners that is.

Anyway, this thought reminded me of my dads shop growing up. He had a tiny basement workshop, and he had a series of baby food jars, suspended from the floor joists, the lids screwed to the joists, where all manner of fasteners were organized, and then one big steel coffee can in the corner. The whatnot can, because screws, nuts, bolts and whatnot went in there until Dad figured out where it actually went.

As I recall, he built most of the furniture in our house growing up, well, he and my grandpa, with an old Crafsman contractor saw, tube lathe, a jig saw, a drill press with some home made sanding spindles,a router, circular saw, and hand drill..
      He had such little room in that tiny shop, but it worked for him.

Anyway, makes me wonder. What are folks doing for catch all to keep fasteners en masse as it were until you can properly sort them?
      I use a plastic Folgers container. I keep telling myself that I’m going to sort them out someday.

Comment

Working...