• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Too bad I buy my coffee bagged...

Because I could totally use a proper coffee can or two. In my shop cleanup, I am discovering vast quantities of fasteners that have become estranged from their proper location, and i need to store them at least temporarily until I want to spend way to much time sorting through fasteners that is.

Anyway, this thought reminded me of my dads shop growing up. He had a tiny basement workshop, and he had a series of baby food jars, suspended from the floor joists, the lids screwed to the joists, where all manner of fasteners were organized, and then one big steel coffee can in the corner. The whatnot can, because screws, nuts, bolts and whatnot went in there until Dad figured out where it actually went.

As I recall, he built most of the furniture in our house growing up, well, he and my grandpa, with an old Crafsman contractor saw, tube lathe, a jig saw, a drill press with some home made sanding spindles,a router, circular saw, and hand drill..
    He had such little room in that tiny shop, but it worked for him.

Anyway, makes me wonder. What are folks doing for catch all to keep fasteners en masse as it were until you can properly sort them?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I added some tags. Intriguing title but won't ever hit any searches
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have lots of fasteners.
      I have a rack of cubbies that fit a pound nail box, About 10 high and 4 wide.
      In columns I have boxes of common nails and finish nails and deck screws.
      In rows I have sized from 1.5 inches to 3 or four inches by half inch increments per row,
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090599.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	847245

Then I have a set of plastic shoe-sized stacking boxes from sterilite with lids.
      one for machine screws/nuts, one for hooks and L's, one for wood screws, one for threaded rods, all these in the little bags and boxes of 100.
      one for plastic boxed assortments of screws, one for boxed assortments of machine screws. I think one with assorted toggle-type hollow wall anchors.
      One for other hardware
      Then about 8 boxes that deli meats came it 8 or 16 Oz packs... holding various screws and other stuff. sorted. Some concrete and masonry screws.

Name:	P1090597.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	847246

And a parts cabinet with drawers that came with an assortment of sheet metal screws, #6, #8 #10 and 1/4" washers, lock washers, nuts, and assorted length machine screws. I have added sub compartments for wingnuts and T nuts and other stuff as needed.

Name:	P1090598.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	847244

I have a box of assorted 1/4-20 hex head bolts of various lengths. And a box of 1/4" lag screws of assorted lengths.

Not to mention the fruit cake can with loose, orphaned, used or spare nuts and screws.

As you can tell, I like to have the right fasteners.
      I pretty much don't use the nails at all any more preferring 24 pin, 18 and 16 gauge brad nailers which I have yet another shoe box of all sizes of nails for.
      Oh, and a bottle or two of Titebond III wood glue, some CA glue and two hot melt adhesive guns.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-09-2022, 03:44 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Instead of coffee cans, buy something tastier:
        Pepperidge Farms Rolled Wafer Cookies
        The cans are about 7 inches tall and just under 4 inches in diameter... I've often wondered if they'd work as couplers for 4 inch dust collection flex-hose. The lids are metal, not plastic, so they won't rot or get brittle with time.

You can certainly consume these faster than you'd be able to empty coffee cans too! They have different flavors too but I'm a confirmed choc-o-holic.

My storage: a few of those plastic boxes sold at big-box stores for generic small parts storage; Lowes had a clearance on some smaller ones several years ago so I grabbed half a dozen as well as two larger ones. They stack in one cabinet in my shop and handle most odd bits. For regular wood screws I buy them in 50-pack quantities from the pegs at the Borg. Those packs are stacked about 8 high in that same cabinet and are a nuisance to sort through. That's on the to-do list: make some sort of wide but shallow drawers that these things can sit in. I probably have only a tenth as many fasteners as Loring though!

My car nut & bolt collection though is dumped into two shoe-box size boxes - one for Toyota parts and one for Mitsu stuff.

mpc
        Last edited by mpc; 01-09-2022, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

We buy mints, nuts, etc. at a local restaurant supply store. They come in square screw top plastic containers about the size of a three pound coffee can. They stack and store compactly and they are clear.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My dad used to use his old cigar boxes to store everything and built a custom shelf for them. Labeled each each with a sharpie. They were about 2" deep by 6"x8" He switched to a pipe when I was in high school and the boxes all eventually succumbed to the ravages of time.

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	847255

I used peanut butter jars, but discovered I collected small parts far faster than I could eat peanut butter.
            Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jim Frye
              We buy mints, nuts, etc. at a local restaurant supply store. They come in square screw top plastic containers about the size of a three pound coffee can. They stack and store compactly and they are clear.
              I am about to empty out a 30oz screw top square can of cashews from Aldi. (WAY cheaper than anywhere else). I think I will reuse this for the lost fasteners. I never thought of it. I typically reuse these for holding dry pinto beans so we can buy the bigger bags of them. (We do a LOT of Tex - Mex cooking and I've got an awesome refried beans, and an awesome frijoles a la charra recipe....)

My small quantities of sorted fasteners go into my 39 drawer parts organizers, the gray multi drawer things like what Loring showed.

I keep the 1lb boxes, and boxes of pneumatic nails, T50 staples and the sort on the bottom shelf of the wall hung clam shell cabinets.

The issue is when I end up finding fasteners that somehow got out of the 1lb boxes, or were removed from a project no longer used and materials got reclaimed, which happens with me more than you would think. I Have a tendency to make a jig for a specific task using screws, then when the task is done, the screws end up not being put back in place due to poor workshop habits...

Oh and thanks guys. My B-day is almost here, and that is one of those events where I am kind of missing my Dad, I would have typically gotten a call from him the Saturday night before. Sharing what your dads did oddly enough brightened my day a bit...
              Last edited by dbhost; 01-09-2022, 11:55 AM.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                Caution using nut containers as the nuts might be salted. It takes a good bit of scrubbing with soapy water to get it all out.

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Been there, done that. I chuck em in the dishwasher first... Should get enough out that I don't need to worry about it.

Right now, I am FAR more curious though, where the heck did the 1/4" x 6" lag bolts come from? I found about 6 of them under my workbench. I have no recollection of any project I EVER worked on that needed lag bolts that long.
            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
              My dad used to use his old cigar boxes to store everything and built a custom shelf for them. Labeled each each with a sharpie. They were about 2" deep by 6"x8" He switched to a pipe when I was in high school and the boxes all eventually succumbed to the ravages of time.

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	847255

I used peanut butter jars, but discovered I collected small parts far faster than I could eat peanut butter.
              My Dads dad, so grandpa on Dads side smoked cigars, and I have one small rosewood and spanish cedar cigar box of his that I kept audio cassettes in when I was in high school / college. The top was multi piece and separated at one point. It was my first "Re glue and fix the finish on fa family hand me down" project I ever did...

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Finally had time to grab a pic. of the "jars"
                . Click image for larger version

Name:	7FF22526-AEF6-437F-B485-42EBAB51615F.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	847290
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

P-nut butter jars and cigar boxes have my father’s hardware organization beat! Every piece of hardware he saved went into one of his 2 metal 50 caliber ammo boxes. One of the cans had a broken latch that would come open and dump every piece of hardware on the dirt when you least expect it. Somehow I always grabbed that box first. When he needed something he simply dumped the entire ammo can a galvanized garbage can lid. I can’t ever remember seeing him dump the junk in the dirt like I did, I guess he had the boxes marked. The garbage can lid had a large notch cut out of one side that perfectly fit the ammo can side to pour everything back into it when finished. No sorting here, there was an endless supply of bent nails, flattened lock washers and worn out hinges in each box! Now that he is gone, I wish had those ammo cans, I wouldn’t change a thing!

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I was in Target tonight and Mason jars were on sale for $8.99 a dozen. Seems like a great deal if your not clumsy like me and could function with glass in the shop.
                    Chr's

Comment

• Dedpedal
                      Dedpedal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My wife cans food in those. She buys them at yard sales for **** near nothing.
                  • dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                    Finally had time to grab a pic. of the "jars"
                    . Click image for larger version

Name:	7FF22526-AEF6-437F-B485-42EBAB51615F.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	847290
                    Not the same brand, but yep. Those are the containers!

The story about the 50 cal ammo cans is hilarious. I totally get it, although I am trying, really and honestly trying to get and maybe, just MAYBE staying organized.. Doubt that though...

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Ok, I get it. I submit to you pictures of organized hardware. Click image for larger version

Name:	54E87C37-BBE1-42FD-B5FC-A318AFD91136.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	847307

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                        Ok, I get it. I submit to you pictures of organized hardware. Click image for larger version

Name:	54E87C37-BBE1-42FD-B5FC-A318AFD91136.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	847307
                        Whoah, the hardware store I worked in college wasn't even that organized!

Comment

• capncarl
                          capncarl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That’s just the front side
                      • capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Name:	F4346287-E99A-4AE9-89C0-784CD8C81881.jpeg