X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have a Freud FT2000E plunge router with the Router Raizer RZ100 kit... that I hardly ever use. The RZ100 tries to turn this plunge router into a "through the table height adjustment" capable router while preserving the basic plunge router capability. Well... when hanging from a table, the RZ100 did not quite work right: the FT2000E has beefy springs in each of the two plunge shafts. With the RZ100 cranking inside just one shaft, the router had a tendency to tilt and bind during adjustments. Reaching below the table and giving a helping push upwards made the RZ100 work. But the whole point of "through the table height adjustment" is that you shouldn't have to reach below the table while adjusting bit height! The Router Raizer folks suggested removing one of the springs to cure this issue. That somewhat worked when the router was table mounted (it would still cock/jam at times but now in the other direction) but made the router useless as a hand-held plunge router: with only one spring it won't un-plunge (whatever you call it) by itself. Removing/re-installing a spring is not an easy task. I tried cutting one spring by 1/3rd... that didn't help the table operation much and made the hand-held operation borderline. Un-plunging was iffy.

I have the smaller Dewalt DWP611PK kit (an awesome router by the way!) for smaller hand-held jobs. Since I now have another router in a router lift (Bosch 1617 in the Incra lift - a sweet combo) the Freud was more or less redundant. Given its problems, it was not worth dealing with the Freud... ergo it sits in the cabinet unused until some desperate situation requires this router.

Well, today I decided to futz with the Freud a bit to see if I could make it work better. It's been a long time since I messed with it so I didn't remember all the details on how the RZ100 installed and the steps necessary to remove the motor part from the base - i.e. to get at the plunge springs and the plunge shafts. After fighting with it for nearly two hours, I was able to give it a good cleaning plus new lubrication on the shafts. The plunge action is better than it's ever been. And this router won't ever be table mounted again so that issue is a non-issue. Although the RZ100 operation, at least on my bench, seemed better too. ?? The springs are back to factory by the way. The Boeshield T-9 lubricant + rust preventative spray is a far better lubricant than gold ol' Johnson's paste wax it turns out. I had been using JPW on the BT3's shims and elevation mechanism for many years; for the last 2 years or so I've use the Boeshield T-9 spray instead. It's easier/quicker to apply (just spray it through the throat opening - no need to remove the saw's side panels); plus it seems to work better and last longer than JPW.

I got the FT2000E as part of a package deal at Lowes: the router, a laminate table, a plastic/phenolic insert plate with a few different insert rings, and Freud's SH-5 fence gizmo. It seemed like an "instant router table package" long ago, at a clearance price no less. Besides the router being a nuisance to adjust when table mounted (hence the addition of the RZ100 that almost fixed things), there was an even more annoying/stupid issue: the size of Freud's router plate is a) non-standard, and b) TOO SMALL FOR THE FT2000E that it came with! To fit the router through the table, one has to remove the router's handles first. Stupid. I still have this table and insert plate and dug them out once in a great while when I needed a second router table - when my Bosch router was already setup for something and I didn't want to loose that setup. You can see the Freud table, the stupid insert plate, and the FT2000E in the following picture... there's no way to fit the router, with the handles attached, through the tabletop hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4513.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	854792

One of these days I'll "edit" that table to accept Rockler sized router plates. The Incra lift that I use is the version built for/sold by Rockler that matches their table inserts; I have Rockler plates for the Freud and my other routers. The stupid undersized insert plate in the picture will be trash. This way the old Freud table will serve as a second/backup router table for those occasions when the Bosch is set for something else. While I'm at it, I'll "edit" the table to accept the router table fences I use on my primary table... they use T-tracks. Should be a simple edit.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Ugh, seems like that Freud router has beat you to death. Just keeping it for backup? Need the power? Maybe sell it and get a more friendly router. Most people from a really old poll I did here have like 3+ routers to their name.

• mpc
      mpc commented
      Editing a comment
      The router itself is fine; the small table opening is stupid, and the Router Raizer RZ100 struggled with quirks of this router. As I noted in the "How many routers do you have?" poll, I have quite a few routers so the Freud was rarely used... only when I needed a second router table. The FT2000E itself is quite nice to use hand-held as the power switch and plunge lock lever are within easy reach of the handles and it's not as loud as some of my other routers. The Bosch 1617EVSPK motor mounted in an Incra lift however is table routing nirvana. As I noted in the poll, I recently won the drawing for a Triton TRA001 router at my local Rockler store; I've since picked up one of their cast iron tabletops for half price so I have two good router tables now; the stupid Freud table and its undersized insert plate are retired. The TRA001 has above-the-table bit height and bit change capability but it requires reaching below the table to turn it OFF first, it also requires reaching below the table to lock the plunge handle after the height has been set. So it's two small steps short of router table nirvana compared to the Incra lift. What surprised me the most is the TRA001 does not "scream" as much as other routers.

mpc
      Last edited by mpc; 05-06-2023, 02:00 PM.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Didn't sleep for **** last night, so I have been slogging through my day job all day today... Going to make some pasta for dinner and bomb out early tonight...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Rebuilt the end panels for the bookcases last week and got them stained and sprayed Sunday, yesterday and today and will get them installed tomorrow night. They look infinitely better, but not perfect. I also completed the last eight drawers for the office and those are being sprayed as well but will take a couple extra days since I have insides and outsides to spray on those and they are too large for the drying rack so they sit on tables in the garage to dry.
      Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Went through some of the storage in the shed. My camping gear was not organized in the totes the way I wanted it, condensed the storage and now opened up 2 additional shelves... Plus made it easier to find my camp kitchen, camp bathroom, camp bedroom stuff...

Cleaning the old Craftsman roll cabinet and discovered the Husky maple work top is actually about 1/8" wider than spec says it should be. Going to hit it with my handplane to make it fit...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

The stain for the drawer fronts for my office cabinets finally came in yesterday so I got all of those stained this afternoon and will start spaying poly on them tomorrow.
          Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't get done anywhere near what I SHOULD have gotten done, but I DID get something done. Swapped out my old mismatched, don't have a key to one of them garage door lock cylinders for a new keyed alike pair so I can actually you know, open either door from the outside... Need to touch up the paint as I had painted over the originals and removing them took paint with it... No biggie...

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Someone have pity on me... I have a colonoscopy scheduled in the morning and guess what I am enduring now...

At least I am trying the new tablets instead of drinking that nasty solution.
              12 large tablets and 48 oz of water over 2 hours.... and then repeat again after 6 hours.

Can't eat anything solid. How can you be bloated and hungry at the same time?
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-02-2023, 06:57 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                Gonna be up late tonight! Afraid of lying down and going to sleep!

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Oooh. I just had one a week and a half ago. Pretty sure I need a new toilet. Hopefully the prep doesn't cause you to barf. Mine did... The liquid prep I did was 2 16oz doses, taken over an hour 4 hours apart, and good heavens it was GROSS... Good luck with the results. And if nothing else, you will be squeaky clean!

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the pills are an improvement. A lot to take but chase with water you don't have to drink that gross salty-sweet mixture. But the results are the same... lots of urgent trips to the porcelain throne.
                Anyway doc said I was good to go for another 5 years.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-03-2023, 05:48 PM.
            • LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pressure washing driveway, About 50 feet today, still have 100 feet to go.
              Double width, detached garage on side and U-drive in front of the house.
              Makes a big difference. I had one section replaced a couple of weeks ago, the oak tree roots had pushed it up about 4 inches and it was a serious tripping hazard although the SUV could drive over it slowly... Cost me $4200 to have them break up the old concrete, cut the offending roots (two of them about 6 inches in diameter) and pour new concrete.
              The new section is still lighter colored but doesn't stand out so much. Now that I've washed the grime and mildew off the old concrete next to it. Tedious but strangely satisfying.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230506_121902.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.3 KB ID:	855029
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-06-2023, 12:31 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002

Today I got a good start on the upper bookshelves for the office remodel.
                • All the sides tops and bottoms are cut.
                • The bottoms and fixed shelves are edge banded but not cut to length,
                • All 476 shelf pin holes are drilled.
                • Two of the 7 sides have the front face frame stiles attached.
                I also managed to get fertilizer on the lawn between rainstorms.
                Chr's

Comment

• chaseaustin
                  Handtools only
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Here is my strength

My daily routine is reading a book daily, and nowadays I am reading educatoroid for increase knowledge.

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Here's what I did

Comment

• twistsol
                      twistsol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice. It took me almost 50 years before I realized how useful a good, properly sharpened and tuned hand plane is.

• capncarl
                      capncarl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh boy, I agree that a good hand plane is great!, but they will work you to death! I build and sell about 20 Tiny Tables about this size per year. Now I am cutting my tapers on the band saw and finish the whole tapered leg with a hand plane. When I am finished with one set of leg I’m about shot…. Only 3-4 sets to go! Lots of care must be taken not to disturb the 2 inside top sides of the leg with the plane or sanding or the legs will not mate up to the apron’s perfectly. One swipe with the hand plane or a couple of seconds with the sander will knock off the angles of the legs.
                  • durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

So our class was 5 days long. On day 5 I was tired and sweating on my work. I wasn't lifting my plane high enough, and dragged it back.... and created more work.

I begged te instructor, "can I get out my scraping card?" No unauthorized tools......

Comment

Working...