• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another Poll - what's going on - Beverages in the shop

Found this old poll in from 2007. https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...amenities-poll
    Interesting discussions. So the follow up question is
    Whether you have the shop fridge (8%) or not, what would be your preferred beverage in the shop?
    Multiple choice allowed, private answers. Expires in 2 weeks
    If you do beer and spirits, do you drink while you work or do you relax among your tools sitting on the couch watching the TV after a hard day in the shop
    Coffee
    31.25%
    Beer or other "spirits" if you imbibe Cognac or Champagne in your shop I want to hear about that
    12.50%
    Soda/soft drink/ flavored drink
    43.75%
    Milk
    0%
    Broth/boullion/soup
    0%
    Hot Chocolate
    0%
    Tea - Iced
    12.50%
    Tea - hot
    0%
    Other - tell us in an answer
    62.50%

The poll is expired.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Other: Thai Iced Tea if I have any... otherwise plain water.
    The Thai restaurant I frequent (and frequent is the right word!) gives me an extra to-go Thai Tea - without ice so it doesn't get diluted sitting in the refrigerator overnight. Mmmm....

edit: no shop fridge... whatever drink I carry into the shop sits on top of an HF tool cabinet.

mpc
    Last edited by mpc; 05-21-2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My shop fridge is technically in the weight room next to the shop. It contains Gatorade and Peak Peach iced tea, and my favorite Sprecher Ginger Ale. There is always a coffee cup within my reach regardless of whether or not I have another beverage.
      Chr's

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The basement fridge is across the basement from the shop. It can contain all sorts of liquid refreshments, but there is always a 12 pack of Coke that I reach for.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Shop fridge holds 2 30 packs of beer, 6 cokes, 6 root beers, 6 bottles of water and 6 bottles of gatoraid. Beer after the blades are turned off. The shop is a gathering place for friends so there needs to be ample beer supplies.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I just drink water
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I voted Other as in I don't drink anything when I'm in my shop. Definitely no alcohol in there and the thought of sawdust, etc, landing in my drink kind of grosses me out. And condensation on a cup is also a dust magnet.

So if I get thirsty, I'll run inside to drink water, and save the harder stuff until I'm done for the day.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

WELL, my shop refrigerator became the overflow for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and birthday party left-overs! Before those events, that is where the extra tea, milk and cold what-ever go! And we have TWO refrigerators in the house - one in the kitchen and one in the den!

Late Edit in: I left off a favorite that I started drinking when living in Japan: Iced or COLD Coffee in the spring, summer and Fall. When I really want a pick-me-up in warm and hot times in the middle of the day or early afternoon, I go with iced or cold coffee. I always have a bottle or can of cold coffee in the fridge, and sometimes I get a Japanese can of coffee from my daughters!
                Last edited by leehljp; 05-23-2021, 08:31 PM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black walnut
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2015
                  • BT3K

Have a fridge. Sometimes there is beer in it but not often. I don't drink beer while woodworking generally. Coffee in the morning, usually just a cup and then water.
                  just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2020
                    • Midwest
                    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

RC cola ...I am the last guy on earth probably
                    Harumpf!
                    GrumpyDad

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Coke Zero or water is usually my favorite. But I'll usually take a break and go in the house for a drink or a sip. No shop fridge and I'd be afraid of dust getting in the drink!
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• mpc
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Cypress, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                        ... the thought of sawdust, etc, landing in my drink kind of grosses me out. And condensation on a cup is also a dust magnet.
                        My Thai Iced Tea drinks are in the clear plastic cups typical of to-go/take-out foods (the restaurant uses recyclable ones too!) with plastic snap-on lids; I use a washable metal straw with them. So the drinks don't accumulate fine sawdust inside nor does the condensate seem to cause much outside caking. When the tea runs out, I refill with cold water from the refrigerator. I have hard-piped dust collection that basically works (it could be better at some things) plus an overhead air filter which helps. When I use a ROS at the bench I toss a clean washcloth sized towel over the cup+straw to keep them clean. The "travel mugs" sold to hold drinks in cars would work well in shops too; covering them with a small towel is even better. My co-workers and I got used to doing this at work: in one particularly old office building the air vents in the ceilings were long and thin slots that ran the length of the office area, spaced about 8 feet apart... and some black foam-like bits would fall from them occasionally. You learned to never leave food or drinks exposed on desks! So doing the same in the shop was natural.

I have a second plastic to-go cup plus plain straw out there with water in it. That's to dribble a little water onto my DMT diamond plates for sharpening since there are no water faucets in or near the shop. It sits out there all the time; when it's nearly empty I re-fill it inside the house. I stick a finger over the straw end and lift out a bit of water - similar to a chemist's micro-pipette - to dribble the water onto the DMT plates.

mpc

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by mpc
                          My co-workers and I got used to doing this at work: in one particularly old office building the air vents in the ceilings were long and thin slots that ran the length of the office area, spaced about 8 feet apart... and some black foam-like bits would fall from them occasionally. You learned to never leave food or drinks exposed on desks! So doing the same in the shop was natural.
                          You bring up another good point for why I don't drink where I work. I have worked in a science laboratory for over 25 years so I've also been conditioned to never have food or drink in the place where I work--only at my desk away from the lab.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Talking about labs, I worked with electro-optics for years; we did fiber optic sensor instrumentation. IN our lab sometimes and the adjoining training lab next door we often spliced optical fibers which involved stripping the cable exposing the glass fibers which were about the thickness of human hairs and cutting off the ends to splice them, resulting in scraps of glass fiber 1/4-1/2 inch long that were usually carefully cleaned up but not always. Ingesting these is not good, splinters, swallowing or even breathing them could result in invisible splinters that could migrate in the body and be undetectable with x-rays and if it got into the blood stream and heart could result in death. Nasty little boogers. Not a common thing but not impossible. I would not let anyone eat or drink in our lab.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              atgcpaul commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ok, that sounds like a horrible way to go.

Seems like this needs to be written into the plotline of some spy thriller.
                          • cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning, decaf instant and one glass of wine before dinner, and one can of diet cola, decaf in the evening and two or three bottles of water during my day, regardless of whether I'm in the shop, home office. Since my 'shop time' is scarce, I sometime take my coffee out there in the morning. On afternoons or evenings, there's always a bottle of water.

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...