• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Yeah it was one of those metal bracket ones that use 2x4s. I hated those brackets and had them stored away and would not really miss it if stolen.
    Better than nothing.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Foscam makes a really nice one. You view it on your comp and There a several apps you can use to view on your phone or tablet. The one I have even has audio in and out. So you can yell at thieves trying to break in

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I've always wanted a web enabled camera like Loring's but I couldn't justify the price at the time. The well reviewed ones were a couple hundred dollars. My wife's netbook had a built in camera and I found this freeware software that has the whole system act like a web enabled camera:

http://www.yawcam.com/

The software allows you to do live streaming for instant remote monitoring and also captures images to files when motion is detected. It has an added feature to join all those file together to make a movie.

It can also support multiple cameras so when I bought an inexpensive USB webcam, I could have 2 cameras going in 2 different directions.

I first used it to figure out who was stealing the tomatoes from my garden. Turned out to be the squirrels. Then I used it to figure out which of my 2 dogs was the one chewing on my furniture while we were at work. Turned out it was the one who likes to chase squirrels--go figure.

At work, I have one focused on one of the robots in the 2nd floor lab. I can keep an eye on it when I'm doing a production run from my cube on the 1st floor.

Just checked Amazon and the prices of cameras is sub $100 now. However, if you just want to dip your toe and you have a laptop and webcam, check out Yawcam.

Paul
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Lchien
        On your earlier post about people using your driveway at night, I posted a suggestion about using a moition detection sprinkler. I later purchesed one to use on my houseboat to shoo off the nasty Herons that loved to use my aft deck for a toilet. Reference Contech CRO 101 Scarecrow Motion activated sprinkler. It was great fun to watch all the ducks and sea gulls getting scared off with a blast of water. One of the side benefits was all the bass fishermen that it wet. This marina was the launch point for most of the tournaments on our lake, and after some of the fishermen found out about my scarecrow they would trick their buddys into checking out the view on the back of my boat. At 6 am getting hosed down was not high on these guys list of things to do. One of these sprinklers in combination with your camera could offer endless hours of fun as it wets the neighbors kids, dogs and ups man.
        capncarl

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by capncarl
          Lchien
          On your earlier post about people using your driveway at night, I posted a suggestion about using a moition detection sprinkler. I later purchesed one to use on my houseboat to shoo off the nasty Herons that loved to use my aft deck for a toilet. Reference Contech CRO 101 Scarecrow Motion activated sprinkler. It was great fun to watch all the ducks and sea gulls getting scared off with a blast of water. One of the side benefits was all the bass fishermen that it wet. This marina was the launch point for most of the tournaments on our lake, and after some of the fishermen found out about my scarecrow they would trick their buddys into checking out the view on the back of my boat. At 6 am getting hosed down was not high on these guys list of things to do. One of these sprinklers in combination with your camera could offer endless hours of fun as it wets the neighbors kids, dogs and ups man.
          capncarl
          That's funny.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jussi
            Foscam makes a really nice one. You view it on your comp and There a several apps you can use to view on your phone or tablet. The one I have even has audio in and out. So you can yell at thieves trying to break in
            My new Wansview camera was delivered today.

http://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Wirel...words=wansview

The camera is nice but the reviews were right about the challenging install. Anyway, it sends me an email as well as email to text when it detects motion along with pictures attached. Has pan and tilt but no zoom. The night vision is good but the IR reflects off the windows so I need to think of a way to keep it weatherproof but still usable. I also have the port forwarded so I can view it remotely.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Okay guys i need to ask... Those of you that have the Wireless IP cameras. Do you get adequate performance from the cam? I have a SERIOUS distrust issue with WiFi and anything I want to keep secure. I actually want to set up wired IP cams, but finding cameras with built in ethernet that do all the things the wireless cameras do is kind of tough...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
                Okay guys i need to ask... Those of you that have the Wireless IP cameras. Do you get adequate performance from the cam? I have a SERIOUS distrust issue with WiFi and anything I want to keep secure. I actually want to set up wired IP cams, but finding cameras with built in ethernet that do all the things the wireless cameras do is kind of tough...
                Only time will tell. The camera I bought has a built in Ethernet port but I am going to use WiFi. I guess I don't worry too much about it. No one can park in front of my house on either side of the street--emergency route--and the houses aren't too close to me. And none of my neighbors have kids.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  That would likely make him liable for the damage. There was a story here about a homeowner that had the pointed little cement pyramids lining his yard along the street. Someone drove on them and damaged their tires, and the homeowner was liable.

Highly doubtful. I would suggest checking with an attorney if you give it serious consideration, however, I don't think Texas law would side against a property owner in a defense damage claim.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

another Texas sign seen today: "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...