• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

My Celica at 120mph, but not for long, I live in PA, not too many straight stretches, lots of hills and twists, which is more fun for me anyway. But I did hit 120 without much trouble before I ran out of straight enough road, and I feel there was plenty more to come had the road not given out on me.

Motorcycle, never driven one.

Bicycle, 58 mph, now THAT was scary! I do over 50 on my bike every year, but I was in a race with a serious downhill that year and pushed 60, hard to do that on a bike.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

Had a couple of fast cars(Supra,BMW). I think I had both to 135+. I have had a motorcycle over 140. It is scary to look down on a bike at that speed.
      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I have gone too fast in a car, too fast in a racing cart, too fast in a P-51, and waaaayy too fast in a boat. I'm lucky to still be here...

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

117 on a 1947 chopped Indian, but I was standing up and balancing on the seat.

Never do that again.

Bruce
          Old Chicken $hit

Oh Keith, you don't drive a motorcycle, you "ride one", most of the time (hopefully).
          Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM.
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by DRAGBOAT
            I know you didn't include a boat in your survey but I am rather fond of the water, on this pass I ran the 1/4 mile in 5.788 seconds and yes we were on fire almost the entire way. God I love Drag Boat Racing, I am just getting into woodworking and am hoping it is going to be a cheaper hobby.

I don't know if you get the adrenaline rush from speed or from danger...

At least, if you get off on danger, all your extremeties will be in danger of forfeit in both hobbies.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

~ 120-122 in a '73 Malibu
              ~ 135 on '76 Suzuki GT750 (downhill)

The only thing that scared me was that I liked it. On the other hand, I've ridden with someone to took their Vette up to ~ 130, and didn't like that at all! The guy was a total idiot and I was afraid we'd be front page news.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

130 MPH in a rented Mercedes on the Autobahn; 140 in a 1964 Ford with dual 4 barrels, roller bars on the rear, etc..
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

160 + in an English Chevron B 16 (German Ford V4.. 16 valve) for 10.66 miles or 4 laps around Talledega Raceway in 1971 courtesy of Rinzler-Baker Racing. I worked Baker but not on the race team and this was a reward I choose in lieu of a bonus. I was told to keep the speed under 170 mph or recieve those immortal words... "you're fired". ha.. ha...

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                    • BT3100

I have been faster on public roads than on racetracks. I had a prototype pickup truck up to a 164mph in Death Valley and many, many other cars and trucks up over 140mph. I have only been to about 150mph on an oval or road course with various test vehicles. I was a bit concerned with the truck in Death Valley since we had cut the rear wheels and widened them by 1.5". It's very tough to get them perfectly round again when widened and I could feel it at those speeds.

At one time, we were stopped by a Park Ranger in Death Valley. He pulled our entire group of 11 cars over after he clocked us at 135mph Luckily, he wasn't in the mood to do the paperwork for that many tickets, so he just told us to get the he** out of his desert.

As bad as it sounds, we actually were pretty safe. The cars were all built by world class mechanics, we all had radios to make sure there was no traffic and we were all are professional drivers. It was our yearly test trip to prove out upcoming models.

Comment

• WoodTherapist
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Never came close to the speeds some of you obtained. I think the fastest I ever drove was around 120 on a few occasions, in various machines with four wheels. But what started my descent into sanity was not the fastest I ever drove, but the scariest. I borrowed a 1969 VW Beetle and got it up to about 90 going downhill when the silly thing started to fish-tail on me after taking a slight curve (who woulda thunk it, right?). Thought I was a goner, but got it back under control. It is amazing the steady nerves you acquire when terrified. And all that “practice” doing doughnuts and controlled slides on ice and snow came in handy that day. That dose didn’t affect the final cure of my need for speed, but it was the start of it.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

When I was young and stupid, I tried to drive every car I drove over 100. I couldn't hit that with my dad's conversion van or the Dodge Dakota, but my Mom's Mustang, and the Turbo-charged Eagle Talon both did the trick.

On one trip going from Green Bay to Minneapolis to visit my brother, I hit 136 on the highway. That was fun at the time, but monumentally stupid in retrospect.

My dad won a Dale Ernhart experience Nascar thing for work, and he was bragging on how he went 135 in a stock car. All I could think was "only 135??".

Comment

• DUD
                          Royal Jester
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

I have been following this thread and finially thought that I would come clean. The 91

Dodge Stealth that I sold a few years agoI drove it to 150mph after I had a new clutch

put in, It was an awesome car, I only did that it once. Bill

Yes it scared Me!
                          5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• scmhogg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                            • BT3000

I bought a brand new 1964 GTO when I got out of the Army. I went through a set of the red line tires in about 90 days. Even with posi-traction, it needed a sand bag in the trunk. It only weighed 3200 pounds. I got it for $1.00 a pound.

I also bough a new 1969 GTO. Not the same car as the 64. It was a chocolate brown, even the bumpers.

I always got caught before it was fully wound up. CHP told me the '64 was fast, but it couldn't outrun his radio. I do have a master's degree in traffic school.

I stepped out of a Huey at 5000 feet and flew at 125 mph until I pulled the ripcord. Seems really fast without all that metal around you.

Steve
                            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by scmhogg
                              I also bough a new 1969 GTO. Not the same car as the 64. It was a chocolate brown, even the bumpers.
                              So was mine, parchment interior (gold). My dad bought it, gave it to my grandma, then she gave it to me. I wish he had ordered it with Ram-air, but he did go with the HO 400cid.

She had one of the fastest cars at Central High in Cheyenne. She'd usually be more than willing to prove it too. I've alaways blamed my grandparents for my fast car disposition. They always responded to my urges of "go fast, grandma/pa".
                              Erik

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2003
                                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                                • BT3100

Originally posted by scmhogg

I stepped out of a Huey at 5000 feet and flew at 125 mph until I pulled the ripcord. Seems really fast without all that metal around you.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I didn't know that jumps counted, in that case..., how about crashes ("or hard landings")from ground fire, does that count too.

Bruce
                                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...